Status: Completed. Decided not to do a sequel.

Children Of The Damned

Chapter 33

Stefan

Damon was listless, moving without purpose except for when he was circling Ana’s house for evidence of the town’s new vampire resident.

He went on hunts at night, patrolling the town, especially around Wickery Bridge and the cemetery, just daring the vampire to reveal himself, make a mistake.

He spent his days cooped up in the house in front of the fire, vacillating between drinking coffee, scotch, and blood bags.

Whenever I tried to pull him from his monotonous stupor, he lashed out with defensive, biting remarks. Eventually I stopped trying, knowing sooner nor later that he would have to break this habit by choice or necessity.

I was waiting for the moment when he and Ana would realize they were wasting precious time.

_________________________________________________________

Eliana

It was a Monday, which meant I was supposed to be going to school. No doubt my grades were suffering. I couldn’t bring myself to care.

I told my mom I didn’t feel well. She was so unobservant that she didn’t bother to check and see if I was actually ill before she called the school and excused me for the day.

Once mom and dad were too immersed in their work to hear even cannon fire, I put on my running clothes and my Nikes and ran blindly, not even paying attention to where I was going.

Soon, I reached the boarding house, and kept running until someone collided with me, running at an impossible speed. It was enough to knock the wind out of me. When I caught my breath, I took in a breath and worked my way to a particularly loud scream before I noticed it was only Damon.

“What the hell are you doing? He asked.

“What does it look like I’m doing?” I asked, pointing to my attire and running shoes.

“Acting out a death wish?” he guessed in a mocking tone.

“Oh, please!”

“The why are you out running, unprotected?”

“Maybe I needed a little break from the norm, which for the last few days has been spending my time cooped up in the house.”

“Damn it, Ana! How am I supposed to take care of you if you’re constantly being reckless, putting yourself in danger like this?”

“I never asked you to take care of me!” I almost screamed it. “I never asked for you to be so amazing, or to make me feel…alive again. My life was quiet and boring and safe. And then you came along and ruined it by reminding me what it was like to take risks and be myself. And then I took the biggest risk by letting you into my life, and you turn out to be something so completely…Other that I don’t even know what to do with myself anymore!”

“I didn’t want things to turn out this way,” he said, his voice think. “I wished so many times that I could just be human for you. I have never wanted anything so badly before.”

“I want to be with you, Damon. I don’t want to be afraid to live. I want to take that risk, but you have to be completely honest with me from here on out. No more lies.”

He took me in his arms, kissing me over and over. “No more lies. I promise. No more lies.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Song: Apology- Safetysuit