Status: Completed. Decided not to do a sequel.

Children Of The Damned

Chapter 40

Stefan

“Please, Stefan. Promise me Damon won’t find out about this.”

As much as I hated making promises like this to people, I couldn’t help but comply to her wishes. She was the one person on this earth that Damon truly loved. I knew he would do anything for her, but he refused to out her in danger. Which was why I had to do the one thing that might ensure her safety in the long run. Because Damon’s plans of evasion were not going to hold out for much longer. Especially if it was Richard who was after her. He was not going to give up until he got what he wanted from her, and we had yet to find out what that was yet. All we knew for sure was that he had no qualms hurting her. He nearly killed her the other night.

“I promise. But Ana?”

“Yes?” she asked. She was almost trembling with either fear or anticipation. No one deserved to live like that.

“I don’t know if he will ever forgive us if he finds out.”

“I know. Which is why he can never know.”

I found it highly unlikely that he wouldn’t find out at some point. But I had to hope for the best. I had to hope against hope.

Ana was a strong willed girl. I knew that once she put her mind to something, she wouldn’t stop until her goal had been achieved. I was just afraid this might cost her much more than just Damon’s trust. It may just cost much, much more than that.

_____________________________________________________________

Damon

After school I dropped by Ana’s house, knocking on the door. If I was going to be a normal boyfriend, I was going to have to use the front door like any human would.

But it wasn’t Ana that answered the door.

“Hello, you must be Mrs. Forbes. I’m Damon, Ana’s boyfriend,” I said innocently, offering my hand.

“Oh, I wasn’t aware Ana was seeing anyone,” she told me as she shook my hand. I should have known her mother would have been completely oblivious. But then again, my only memory of her had been at the grill when she had been not only oblivious, but rude and unable to understand her own daughter.

I was somehow pleased to find that other than her hair, Ana didn’t look much like her mother. It was as if her mother had very little influence in her at all, even in her appearance.

“Is Ana home?” I asked. Usually she was the one to answer the door, and her parents were too busy working during the day to even bother leaving the office to answer the door.

“Yes. I believe she is up in her room. Come in,” she said.

That was just the sort of thing that would get her mother killed if that vampire decided to knock on her door.

“Thank you. It was nice meeting you, ma’am.”

“It was nice meeting you too.” Then she left the foyer, going to the kitchen where something that smelled like chicken was cooking on the stove.

I made my way upstairs, knocking lightly on Ana’s bedroom door before walking in.

Ana was in the middle of putting on a shirt.

“Hey!” she said, quickly turning around.

“Don’t be embarrassed,” I said, walking over to her after her shirt was completely on.

“I wasn’t,” she said. “You just caught me by surprise.”

She put her arms around my neck, kissing me. “I love you so much. You know that, right?” she whispered into my shoulder as she held me to her.

I just held her tighter, kissing the top of her head.

“Damon, I have a question for you.”

“Yes?”

“I drank a lot of your blood the other night. What is that going to do to me?”

“You should be fine as long as you don’t…die with it in your system.”

“And then what would happen?”

“You would die, of course, and then you would come back and you would be bloodthirsty. You would need to drink human blood.”

“And what if I didn’t…drink human blood?”

“You would…fade. But it will never come to that, because I am going to keep you safe.”

I held her chin in my hand and kissed her softly, trying to push away the fear that threatened to rise up inside me. I had never been this person before. Fear wasn’t in my nature. And yet I found myself being more afraid than I had been in my entire life worse than I had ever felt when I was human. When I was human, the one I loved wasn’t in constant danger, at least not that I knew of at the time. Little did I know that people wanted to kill her much like people want to kill me now.

And almost as if she knew what I was thinking, she said, “I just want us to be happy, Damon. I don’t want to be afraid anymore.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Song: The Sharpest Lives- My Chemical Romance