For What You Are

She's Here

Jayne sat in the corner of the public library reading the opposite of what she normally would. A romance novel lay open in her hands and for the first time in this town, her face wasn’t covered.

She’d been covered by a black mask for longer than she could remember. Being free of it was a strange feeling. People could see her and they walked straight past. Well…all except one.

“Kara?” the voice asked. Jayne immediately pushed the book in front of her face, but as they walked towards her, she pulled it down slightly, allowing her to see who they were.

“Oh…sorry,” the person said. “I thought you were somebody else…wait.”

It was Hailey, Jayne realised. And hell…she recognised her.

“Walking around without a mask Jayne?” she asked. Hailey was one of the few people who DID know who Jayne was but Jayne didn’t deny the fact that it made her feel queasy.

“I wasn’t expecting anyone to recognise me,” Jayne said, shifting uneasily in her seat.

“Dude,” Hailey replied, sitting next to her. “I’ve known you what…200 years? Your face is burned into my memory considering the fact that you were hunting me for twenty years.”

“True true,” Jayne said, putting her book to the side.

“What are you doing here?” Hailey asked, as she picked up the book. “You’re definitely not reading this book.

“Scanning,” she replied. “I’m looking for this guy…Damon Salvatore.”

Hailey’s gaze momentarily faltered, but she regained her composure quickly. If Jayne didn’t have such attentive eyes, she probably would have missed it. But at that moment she knew something was up.

“Please do not tell me you guys have an alliance,” she groaned. It would ruin her day – and night – if she couldn’t kill Damon Salvatore. Honestly, he was almost as annoying as a mosquito and was already similar to one in many respects. “I very well may shoot myself if I have to put up with him for much longer.”

“He’s not that bad,” Hailey replied. “I mean, he’s completely up himself and an arrogant jerk, but he’ll do the right thing.”

“The right thing by whose definition Hailey?” Jayne asked, looking away from her.

“We’re on the same side Jayne,” Hailey said, her face confused. “I know what you expect.”

“He’s killed, Hailey,” Jayne stated.

“And so have you,” she responded evenly.

“It’s not the same thing,” Jayne said, picking her book up and standing.

“Isn’t it?” she called back. “If somebody killed me, you wouldn’t consider it to be murder?”

“Of course I would,” Jayne replied, slipping the book back on the shelf. “You’re my friend.” Even though she didn’t like to admit it.

“And you know what I am. We all make mistakes,” Hailey said. “You have, but you seem to think that killing vampires is going to bring back that human you killed 300 years ago. It’s done…move on.”

Jayne had been trying to push that guilt away for so long but Hailey’s comment made it all come flooding back.

“You said you weren’t going to bring that up ever again…”

“…unless it was necessary,” Hailey finished. “You need to stop this prejudice against us after all, you are-”

“Leaving,” Jayne said quickly.

“If you promise not to kill Damon,” Hailey said, holding her by her arm. “And by the way, we’re doing all we can to find the people who are trying to kill you.”

Jayne frowned, “I didn’t tell you about that.”

“Damon did.”

She gave Hailey an annoyed glare before walking downstairs and out of the library.

“Don’t go looking for him,” Hailey called from behind her. “Promise?”

“Fine,” Jayne said exasperatedly. “I promise not to kill Damon Salvatore. Anyone else you want to save?”

“Not really anyone that you don’t already know about.”

Jayne shook her head before walking out of the library and keeping to the shadows and beginning to walk away. However something she’d said bugged her.

“Hailey?” she asked as she spun around quickly. Fortunately she was still standing outside the library. “Hailey, you called me Kara…”

“Umm…yeah, sorry.”

“Why’d you call me Kara?”

“No reason.”

Jayne wasn’t believing it, “She’s here isn’t she. She’s in Mystic Falls?”

“Well…yeah…”

“Great,” Jayne replied as she walked away again. “Just add another problem into this mess.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. Comments REALLY appreciated.

Nita.xx