For What You Are

Work - Fight - Stare

Kara closed the car door behind her as she stepped out onto the grass. The car park was empty and she had the feeling that she was the first person here; before even the teachers. She wasn’t nervous, moving was second nature to her and she didn’t feel any need to explore the school grounds. There wasn’t anything special here. It was just another school that she was going to coast her way through.

The cold air hit her face, but she ignored it and went to find a tree to sit under and quietly read until the rest of the school arrived. Being something that she rarely had time for, reading offered her an escape from her hectic life – one which she would willingly take at any opportunity.

As she immersed herself in the story, she found the world around her falling away…that was, until she heard a tree branch crack behind her. Immediately, Kara jolted herself out of her stupor and turned around sharply seeing another boy around the other side of the tree quickly doing his trig homework. Staring over his shoulder, she said aloud, “Why are you doing trigonometry when you quite obviously fail at it.”

The boy’s head jolted up to see her looking at his books with quite obvious distain. Kara hated any form of maths with a passion – mainly because she couldn’t be bothered.

“This isn’t my homework,” he replied quickly, “This is supposed to be the homework I’m doing for that guy over there.” He pointed towards a tough looking guy standing by his Mercedes in the now crowded parking lot.

“Is he paying you?” Kara asked curiously, if the price was right she’d probably even do maths homework for someone.

“No,” the kid replied softly, obviously really scared. “But if I do the homework then I don’t get my brains bashed in.”

“I’m guessing he’s too stupid to notice your writing down the wrong answers? Why is he even doing trig then?”

“It makes him seem smart I guess. But the teachers aren’t falling for it. The only reason he’s still there is because the teacher’s don’t have a genuine reason for kicking him out.”

“And you’re trying to give them one,” Kara said, nodding in agreement. “I like it.”

“Maybe I shouldn’t,” the guy replied, moving to change the answers.

“No way kid,” Kara responded quickly, whipping the book from his hands and walking across the grass ignoring the warnings coming from behind her.

“Here’s your homework from that kid over there,” she said with a wide smile. “And by the way, he’s not doing your work anymore.”

“Is that really so honey?”

The words didn’t affect her but it was almost like reflex. Her hand swung out and a second later, the guy was clutching his stomach, doubled over in agony.

“He’s not doing you’re work anymore,” Kara replied evenly, dropping his book on the ground in front of him. As he started to get back up he moved to retaliate towards her but Kara caught his arm and twisted him against his car. “And never call me honey, EVER, again.”

She released him before walking back over towards the boy who stood in shock underneath the tree. “He won’t be bothering you anytime soon,” Kara said.

“How did you do that?” the boy asked in astonishment.

Kara shrugged, “I guess I’ve had a fair bit of practice at my old school.”

“I thought you looked new,” the guy said putting out his hand. “I’m Kale.”

“Kara James,” she replied taking his hand and shaking it. She picked up her bag and books before walking up to the front entrance to the school next to Kale.

“Senior?” he asked.

“I wish,” she sighed. “They really think I’m too old to even be in eleventh grade, but I love bludging.”

He nodded, “And your accent…English?”

Kara smiled in response, “Well spotted. I’ve been trying to get rid of it for years, unfortunately it sticks.”

“It’s not too unfortunate, it makes you different. Always a good thing.”

“In high school?” Kara asked incredulously. “Impossible.”

“Ah,” he responded. “I see your point. Well, I guess if you want to make a good first impression, hanging out with the nerd isn’t going to get you anywhere. If you go around that corner you’ll get to the office.”

“Thanks Kale,” Kara replied quickly as people filed past them. “I guess I’ll see you later.”
“Maybe,” he replied. “Nice to meet you Kara James.” He walked off in the opposite direction while Kara found herself gravitating towards the office. But with students walking in all directions, it seemed inevitable that she would drop her books.

They splayed outwards but nobody who walked past bent to help her. And all she could mutter was, “This is Hell. I knew there was a reason I hated high school.”

“Well it looks like someone’s got a case of teenage angst.”

Kara felt shock make her heart skip a beat and she found herself looking up and staring into light eyes which stared back at her. The man’s hands held her books out to her in a neat orderly pile.

“You’re a bit old to be in school aren’t you?” Kara said recovering from her shock when she realised it wasn’t a student. He looked at her with an equally snarky look as if he knew something she didn’t.

“You’re a bit too British to be in school aren’t you?” he replied in the same tone.

“No,” Kara replied quickly as she walked past him into the office. “I am exactly British enough to be in school. I would say you’re not British enough, but the fact that we’re in America kind of throws that back in my face.”

She waited by the door as a senior finished talking with the lady at the office. After being given everything by the administration lady, Kara turned around to see the guy still standing behind her.

“Why are you still here?” she asked in wonder. If he wasn’t supposed to be in school, why the hell was he still here?

“Could you please give this to Stefan,” the man said, handing the lady a small bag. “And I’m leaving, now,” he added to Kara.

She watched him walk out before walking out herself. Staring after him she found herself wondering –

Who the hell was that?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading - comments always appreciated. If you feel like subscribing, i'd love it.

Nita. xx