For What You Are

Rules

Jayne watched Hailey’s face widen in shock as she opened the door. “You’re really wearing that?”

“As far as I can tell,” Jayne responded. “You going to let me in?”

“Sure,” she said stepping aside. “But Kale might have some rules for you.”

“Of course he does,” Jayne replied, rolling her eyes and sidestepping Hailey.

“All right rule number one,” she heard from behind her as Kale walked into the room. “No killing any vampires on this premises.”

“Well this is going to be a complete bore,” Jayne murmured.

“On this premises,” he repeated, “if you have a grudge, take it down the road.”

“Well, you obviously aren’t that close to these people.”

“It’s a vampire party,” he said. “I don’t even know half the people that are coming.”

“But, doesn’t me killing someone then break the alliance?”

“You are a professional, so I’m assuming you can take care of a few dead bodies.”

Yeah, if damned Salvatore wasn’t watching my back all the time.

“Whatever,” she murmured. “Just out of curiosity. Hailey’s already told me that there wasn’t anyone else she really wanted left alone, but what about you. ‘Cause if I’m about to kill them, a last minute warning isn’t going to stop me.”

“Eh…just a few people. Quentin Ferloc, Jayden Marlin, Sarah Hart and Rodney Draemor.”

Jayne ticked them off her finger and committed them to memory. “Any other rules?”

“Under no circumstances mention it is my birthday,” he said.

“Gotcha,” Jayne replied, winking. She knew that Kale was only ten years old – vampire age that is. “It’s weird, when you’re human, it’s about staying young. But when you’re a vampire it’s about getting old.”

“Well you’ve got that down pat haven’t you,” Hailey responded. “Human and young.”

“Through and through,” she said with smile.

“Do not,” Kale continued. “And I repeat DO NOT hover protectively around the very limited humans that will be here because I will be dead by tomorrow when the vampires find out I invited the slayer.”

“But you didn’t invite me…Hailey did.”

“It doesn’t matter to them does it?”

“True,” Jayne said. “Rules finished yet?”

“I think so,” he replied, walking past her before calling back, “If I think of anything else I’ll let you know.”

“All right then,” Jayne finished, looking at her surroundings. “Is the party seriously going to be in here?”

“We’ve got two vampires and a slayer to move a few pieces of furniture around,” Hailey explained. “I don’t think it’ll take very long.”

“No,” Jayne said. “But it’s all a bit bland.”

“Trust me,” Hailey replied. “Come seven, it most certainly won’t be.”



Jayne sat on the side of the make-shift dance floor sipping her coke and watching the gradual influx of people – well vampires – coming inside. She was surprised to see quite a few vampires accompanying humans. It had used to be rare – unless of course they just wanted them for blood. Which, she rationalised, they most probably did.

But she felt relatively safe. There had been no advances upon her. So whoever wanted to kill her wasn’t taking any risks with getting caught. Jayne felt her careful gaze begin to lessen and her worries fade away. But she did almost choke at one stage.

When Kara walked in wearing her white dress and mask, it wasn’t the same as last time. Maybe it was because her hair was dyed a dark colour or because the dress was different…

But all the excuses Jayne made up for herself couldn’t deny the fact that, with a mask on, Kara looked exactly like her.
♠ ♠ ♠
And here is another chapter. Enjoy, subscribe, comment, etc.

Nita.xx