For What You Are

Secrets and Lies

Pushing Damon away abruptly, Jayne attempted to run away but he put his hand out to stop her.

“Whoa,” he said, catching her around the waist. “What was that about?”

“Er…Mad ex-boyfriend. Crazy – mad. As in wanting to kill me – mad.”

“So, I know I don’t have your brain, but how does kissing me help?”

“It was more, covering my face so that he doesn’t see me,” Jayne replied, still trying to remove herself from Damon’s grasp.

“Well you could’ve just pretended you were talking to me.”

“But talking to you annoys me,” she said in exasperation.

“We don’t have to talk…”

Jayne heaved in annoyance and stepped hard on his foot. “I don’t like you,” she started as he stepped back, staring at his foot. “Hell, if you were on fire, I’d be laughing. That kiss meant nothing to me and looking back right now, I should’ve expected you to act like this...note that it will never occur again.”

“You suck,” Damon replied.

“Then we’re done talking. By the way, weren’t you supposed to be with Kara tonight? I don’t see you trailing after her.”

“She and Hailey were teaming up against me.”

“Good,” Jayne said appreciatively. “And goodbye.”

“Hang on,” he said pulling her back again.

“What do you not get about ‘I hate you?’”

“I get it fine,” he said. “But how can you hate me when you don’t know me?”

“I know about you and I’ve spent the past week getting to know you – unfortunately. So, do yourself a favour and stop talking to me before I mess up your pretty face.”

“You think my face is pretty?”

Jayne stalked off in the opposite direction and into the next room where she walked over to the bar where one of Kale’s friends was manning the bar. Never mind the fact that she was astonished he actually had a bar, she walked up and asked for a double shot vodka and downed it in one.

She couldn’t believe she’d slipped up and kissed Damon Salvatore. Of all possible vampires. She’d been so close to losing control and the urge wasn’t leaving her. Ordering another drink, she tried to sate her thirst. And it helped…barely.

“You aren’t worried that you’re going to somehow drop your guard?”

Hailey’s voice came from behind her and she turned around.

“You know I don’t get drunk,” Jayne replied. “At least not on this stuff. I’d definitely need something a lot stronger.”

“You never drink,” Hailey responded, “That’s why you never get drunk.”

“Well you obviously weren’t paying attention at your wedding,” Jayne said. “Although, I do suppose you had other things on your mind.”

Hailey smiled, “The party seems to be going well.”

“Yeah, unless you count Damon Salvatore – the ass.”

“Hear hear,” Hailey said, taking her drink from the barman. “You’ve seen him then?”

“Yeah,” she replied, not elaborating. “He came with Kara.”

“That annoy you?”

“Not as much as I thought it would.”

“Oh?”

“I may have to protect her, but Kara started to annoy me before she even met Nathaniel. I think she and Damon make a pretty good couple. I hope they’re happy.”

“The weird thing is,” Hailey said, “I know you, and the look in your eyes is not making me believe that sentence.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, you see…there’s something you’re hiding from me. Something big.”

“Aha. And this thing would be?”

“I was hoping you’d tell me. After all, we are supposed to be friends.”

“Look, everyone’s entitled to their secrets Hailey. Just like you and Damon and the history that neither of you ever talk about. My secret could be slightly bigger, but I think that’s reasonable. I’ve got many years on you.”

“Does everyone seriously have to be bringing that up tonight,” she murmured in frustration. “I’ll see you later.”

“All right,” Jayne replied, motioning the guy behind the bar for another drink. “Secrets and lies,” she muttered to herself, “It’s what my life seems to be built upon.”

Damn, she hated it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another chapter for you all. Enjoy!

Nita.xx