For What You Are

We're Coming For You

Jayne sat in the bough of a tree as she swung her silver stake dangerously from side to side, holding it only by two fingers. With a sigh, she stood up effortlessly, the branch not even groaning under her weight. Closing her eyes she dropped the stake into the river that ran below her and turned her back.

Jumping down from the limb of the tree, she found herself walking along a dirt road back towards town. It’s over, was all she could think, Finally.

“Young girls shouldn’t be walking down dark roads alone at night.”

She spun around in astonishment. A man looked at her with dark eyes and a disfigured face. Lines spread out from his eyes and Jayne found herself backing away with no weapon. He sped forward to push her out of the way at an inhuman speed, but she dodged him, seeing his move a thousand times and anticipating what happened next. Jayne ran towards the side of the road and broke a stick off the side of a tree. She pushed off the side of the same tree and launched herself towards the vampire forcing the stick into his heart and twisting it with a grunt. Jayne saw something fall from his grasp as he died with a smile on his face.

As she hauled him off the road and dumped him in the bushes, Jayne stared constantly at the lit up phone. The blue backlight shone eerily along the dark road and as she went to reach for it, she saw that it was still in a call.

Curiously, Jayne held the phone up to her ear, expecting to hear silence on the other end. But boy did she get a surprise.

“We’re coming for you slayer,” a girly voice said from the other end of the line. “Mark my words. You’re going to regret that you ever came to Mystic Falls.”

And the phone went dead.

“Entirely helpful,” Jayne whispered, sarcastically before throwing the phone across the road and into the river in anger. No. She'd wanted out of this mess. She kicked at the rocks and stared at the stars until she finally calmed down enough to think straight. With tears in her eyes she crossed the road before wading slowly into the water with tears in her eyes. Diving in, she saw the glint of her stake embedded in the river bed. Quickly she picked it up and returned to the surface.

Now sopping wet, she climbed back into her tree sadly, twisting her stake once again but with less enthusiasm. Because it wasn’t over. There would always be someone after her.

But this time she was going to fight.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading. Comments always appreciated.

Nita.xx