For What You Are

Phone Call

Kara sat next to her windowsill, toying with the wooden heart. She heard Ally turn over in her sleep next door and let out a sigh. Putting the necklace to the side, Kara pulled off her bracelet and stared intently at it – trying to uncover its secrets in the moonlight.

It was during fifth period that afternoon that she’d found it. Not lying on the floor, or caught on some random’s locker, but already on her wrist. How long had it been there? Not even she knew.

But later that afternoon after she got back from Hailey’s, Kara had received a phone call. Private number and very confusing.

“Don’t take the bracelet off. If someone tries telling you what to do, go with it.”

And that was it. No hello, definitely no goodbye, and no name.

So now Kara sat here, trying to figure out what on earth was going on, why she couldn’t remember little things and why she could hear with distinct clarity any movement next door. What Kale and his mates had been trying to hide from her and what the hell was this annoying feeling tugging at her insides that she immediately associated with Damon Salvatore.

“Bleeding Mystic Falls,” she muttered. “Life would’ve been so much easier if I’d just stayed in LA.”

Kara sighed and put her bracelet back on, at the same moment seeing her phone light up on her bedside table. Tiptoeing across to it, she saw private number flashing across the screen and hesitantly hit answer.

“What do you want?!” she hissed quietly. “It’s 2am!”

“I gave you protection from vampires and warning,” a female voice started. “You can’t even say I disrupted your sleep because you’re awake.”

“Who are you?”

“I’m afraid I am not going to answer that one. Unwelcome listeners could be eavesdropping. So, all I wanted to know was, how did things go tonight?”

“Fine.”

“There was no major crisis I need to know about?”

“I did what you told me. My friend tried to tell me what to do and I pretended like I listened.”

“He believed it?”

“I’m pretty sure he did.”

“Good.”

“You said something about vampires…does that mean they exist?”

“You’re living in Mystic Falls and you DON’T know about the vampires? God, you are one girl with a messed up mind.”

Kara’s mind was spinning. Vampires. She guessed that kind of explained the whole ‘do whatever I say thing’ that Kale had going on, but weren’t they supposed to have super strength and all that? How come Kale had acted so weak on her first day? Then what she’d just thought finally sunk in.

Wow. Kale was a vampire.

“Anyway, it’s unwise to tell anyone about that bracelet of yours. Just keep pretending that you’re ignorant of their existence.”

“And I’ll be safe.”

“Well, you’ll be safe from me; I can’t promise you’ll be safe from them.”

“I don’t suppose I’m getting your name?” Kara tried again futilely.

“Listening ears Kara,” the woman repeated. “We’ll talk soon.”

Kara crawled into bed that night with a sinking feeling that she was involved in something that was going to get her killed. And with vampires, she didn’t think it would be a very pretty death.
♠ ♠ ♠
New vampire diaries=*tear*. I cried like twice. Even though i have no idea why i cried the second time...
Anywho, i go back to school in two days and whilst the heat has eased up slightly, i am dreading having to wear uniform. It's horrible *shivers*.
Comments always appreciated.

Nita.xx