For What You Are

Daytime

Jayne was sleeping.

Well, to put it more accurately she was in more of a meditative state, but that was sometimes the closest to sleep she ever got. Her eyes had been closed for at least two hours, but her senses were on red alert. As they always were.

Her mind was wandering. Through memories, through thoughts…through every bleeding truth she’d told Damon Salvatore.

He frustrated her so much that as soon as he even dared to slip up, he’d be dead. Even sooner if the Alliance broke up quickly – which hopefully it would. Then all her problems would be solved after she went on a killing spree.

However, the smile that had appeared on Jayne’s face at the thought disappeared quicker than she’d thought. Again with the guilt, she thought to herself. What is wrong with me?

Opening her eyes, she saw sunlight streaming in through her window and by the whereabouts of the sun it was already past twelve. Yawning, she looked outside and down the street. A few people rode bicycles past her house and a couple were walking their dog down the street but Jayne? Well, she was going scouting.

Changing into a pair of black jeans and one of many various band t-shirts out of one of her rapidly depleting suitcase, she pulled her still slightly curled black hair into a loose bun and brushed her hair across her scar in a useless attempt to cover it. Scowling, Jayne rummaged through her make-up bag and found her concealer and foundation. Masks in broad daylight tended to scare people so, just like the other day when she’d gone to the library, she covered up the scar by layering heavy make-up over it. As an extra precaution, Jayne also found her glasses and put them on her face rather than putting in her contacts.

“Oh how I hate daylight,” she sighed as she grabbed her books that she’d taken from the library and putting them in her backpack. It was so much easier to see at night, she thought, at least for me.

Which again, brought her back to how much she was like a vampire. But she shut that thought out extremely quickly.

Taking a shortcut through the woods (well…it was longer, but she could run fast without being spotted), Jayne made her way to Hailey’s house. She actually knocked at the front door for once rather than making her way in through a window.

“Wow,” Hailey commented, opening the door. “Knocking and no mask? Where did the Slayer go?”

“She’s just Jayne today,” Jayne replied, walking inside. “How did clean-up go after the party?”

“Only took us an hour or so once everyone left.”

“Which was at around 5.21 this morning?”

“Er…I guess?”

“I know the exact time of sunrise every morning,” Jayne smiled. “They all left five minutes before it arrived.”

“That is so freaky dude,” she said.

“And I know it,” Jayne responded. “I was just wondering how many are still in town.”

“Shouldn’t you already know that?”

“Hey, it’s not my job to know everything. Just most things.”

“I can’t say exactly. The alliance branches out across six towns and that’s a lot of vampires. A lot of them will be moving on soon.”

“Soon?”

“A few days or so.”

“That’s quick,” Jayne said. “They know I’m here?”

“Well…after Sarah’s friends realised she was gone, they figured that something was out there, so they’re leaving as soon as they can. They don’t know it’s you, but they’ve still warned everyone.”

“As long as they don’t kill anyone, I’m good,” Jayne replied. “Fewer vampires in this town is better. Hey, do you want to come with me into town. I haven’t had a chance to walk these streets by daylight in a hundred years.”

“Sure,” Hailey said. “Just let me lock up.”

Three seconds later she stood in front of Jayne, stuffing her keys into her handbag. “By the way,” she started as she closed the door behind them. “Kale’s going to be pissed at you for at least a few days.”

“Of course he is,” Jayne muttered.

“Well, you did kill one of his closest friends. You can’t help it if he’s a bit peeved.”

“Honestly, she was trying to kill me,” Jayne reasoned. “It was kill her then, or kill her later. Personally I wasn’t willing to wait.”

“Wow Jayne, do you own any self-restraint?”

“Nope. Race you to the Mystic Grill?”

“How old are you?” Hailey asked incredulously.

“You’ll be guessing for a while,” Jayne smiled before beginning to run into town. Wow. Damon Salvatore knew more about her than her best friend. That was weird.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taking so long to write stuff but here's another chapter. Enjoy, comment, subscribe.

Nita.xx