For What You Are

Break

“So,” Kara started as she walked into her break alongside Kale. “You’re actually really good at maths right?”

“Yes,” Kale replied. “Why, you need tutoring or something?”

“Not so much tutoring as about four extra hours in a day. Honestly. Twenty-four hours is not enough time for us to go to school, work, to homework, relax and sleep.”

“Relax?” he scoffed. “You relax? I’m lucky if I even get any sleep.”

“I couldn’t live if I didn’t get sleep,” Kara groaned. “The-”

“Kara James!”

“Yes,” she replied, turning around to face the unknown voice, soon revealed to be the vice principal.

“Sir?” she choked, realising the tone in which she had said her previous word. “What’s the problem?”

“Not really a problem,” the principal said as people walked past us on either side. “But your class tests have all been marked and the teachers agree that you are well advanced for your grade. As of tomorrow, the Senior Class awaits you.”

He walked away leaving me standing there open mouthed. Senior…what…impossible…

“Well this is just,” Kara said turning back to Kale. “Neurgh!” She walked past him in a huff. He hurried to catch up to her. they both flinched as the sunlight met them but Kara still continued walking until she could sit down in the shade.

“What was that all about?” Kale asked.

“Don’t pretend you didn’t hear,” Kara said to Kale in disappointment. Sitting on the table and pulling her feet up on the seat. “And don’t pretend that there’s no bubble of elation in your stomach because I can feel it emanating over here.”

“Well I’m excited,” he said happily. “You can’t blame me. Now the nerds can hang together.”

“Whoa,” Kara said, turning and facing him. “I may be moving into the year I’m supposed to be in, but that does not mean I am a nerd. Trust me, you’ll see how far behind I am tomorrow.”

“Well, tutoring might come in handy anyway,” Kale replied.

Kara sat down and rummaged in her bag for some cookies. “All right then. I’m moving into your year, so who’s who?”

“Matt Donovan,” Kale said, pointing to a boy across the courtyard. “Caroline Forbes,” he continued, motioning towards the girl next to him. “Alicia Harrison, Tyler Lockwood.”

He moved his gaze across. “Bonnie Bennett,” he said before skipping Jeremy Gilbert whom she already knew because he was a Junior like Kara, well, had been. “Stefan Salvatore and Elena Gilbert. George Fal – oh, hi Hailey!”

A slender blonde girl slipped into place beside Kale staring at Kara strangely with her vivid green eyes. “Hey,” Hailey said vaguely before whispering something unintelligible to Kale. He nodded and her posture visibly relaxed. Of course, all Kara was thinking was ‘what the hell’ but she didn’t say it. Just sat there eating her cookies as if she was completely out of it.

“So,” Hailey said, now with a warm smile on her face. Kara was extremely surprised by the sudden mood swing, but she listened anyway. “Kale’s informed me that you’re moving up to our year.”

“You’re a senior too?” Now that was a fact that astounded Kara. Hailey didn’t look old enough to even be in year ten. The height factor, maybe, but that was about it. Her eyes looked too wide and innocent. But then again, maybe she just wanted them to look like that.

“As far as I know,” Hailey replied with laughter in her voice.

“I cannot wait to get out of this place,” Kara said, as she looked around.

“But you just got here!” Kale said in astonishment.

“I didn’t mean this school specifically. I meant high school. I just don’t like school.”

“I think it’s fairly justified,” Hailey responded amid cries of protest from Kale. “It’s not like any of us would be here by choice if we had something better to do. Except perhaps the nerd here.”

Kara smiled at her. At least somebody agreed with her. However, Hailey’s expression that faltered momentarily made Kara doubt her thought. And Hailey’s sudden standing position a second later came as a shock to Kara.

“I have to go,” she said, walking away quickly.

“She does that,” Kale said as we watched her retreating back.

“Did I do something?” Kara asked curiously. What was up with her?

“No,” he replied. “She’s a strange child.”

“I guess all of us are at heart.”

“Hear hear,” Kale replied as the bell rang. He smiled evilly at me before saying, “Back to school.”

“Damn,” Kara sighed as she picked up her bag and dropped her empty cookie packet in the bin.

“Enjoy your last day of eleventh grade!” Kale said.

She scoffed as she walked off to history.
♠ ♠ ♠
I saw Harry Potter today. And i just finished reading the third Vampire Diaries book. I cannot believe how much Twilight is based on them.
Anyways, comments always appreciated.

Nita.xx