For What You Are

Duty to Humanity

Jayne pulled a stake from a vampire she’d been fighting before disposing of his body in the river. She cleaned her stake of blood before using it to climb her way up a tree. From her position she could see the town for miles. Any movement…but more specifically, any supernatural movement. After thirty minutes, she grew bored and climbed down. She went for a run through the woods until she came to a residential area. Still keeping out of sight, Jayne climbed another tree, and settled down to waiting.

But she didn’t have to go far until a vampire came walking down the street. And Jayne felt no surprise when she noticed it was Damon Salvatore. He walked non-chalantly down the middle of the street and posed no threat to Jayne, so she kept her stake in her boot. But her hand still hesitated over the dagger hidden in her belt.

“I know you’re here,” he called out to the supposed emptiness.

“How?” Jayne called in a strong voice. He looked up but by the time he had, she was already crouched on the ground. While he looked at her curiously she asked, “How did you know I was here?”

“Why are you even here?”

“My question first,” Jayne replied coldly.

“The trail of dead bodies guided the way.”

At that comment Jayne was confused. “I’ve learnt the art of disposing of bodies.”

“And I’ve learnt the art of finding disposed bodies. I see you've been busy.”

“I do not appreciate the slaughter on humankind as a sport. Our species is equal to yours in more than one way.” Honestly. She was a slayer, what else was she supposed to think.

“Really?” he asked with a challenge which Jayne took gladly. In one swift movement she had a stake in her hand pointed directly over his heart.

He blinked in astonishment and Jayne could almost see the cogs working in his brain as he tried to figure out how she'd moved so fast.

“Challenge me again,” Jayne warned as she pulled her arm away, “and I will not hesitate to kill you. I don't think it's a secret that I strongly dislike your kind.”

“And yet you spoke quite friendly with one this morning.”

Did this guy seriously have no fear? Jayne thought as she walked away from him.

“If a creature of the night has never stolen the life of a human being,” Jayne recited, “a slayer can have no intervention in the life of the undead.” She felt herself thinking over those lines. They were what she had been told right since the beginning, but she found herself wondering. What if the humans had been murderers themselves? Was a vampire right in killing them?

“So,” Damon said a smile on his face. “You can’t kill us if you don’t have proof that we’ve killed a human.”

“There’s plenty of proof concerning you in the history books, if you know where to look.”

“Not by name,” he said with a knowing smile. “Therefore, it is not conclusive evidence. Would your superiors still want you to kill me?”

“Most probably,” Jayne shrugged. “But they’re dead so there’s no point in asking them.”

“So you don’t even work for anyone?” Damon asked in astonishment.

“I work for me. I do my duty to humanity as is required of me.”

“Most people do their service to the human race by becoming doctors or do-gooders,” he replied doubtfully. “But vampire slayers?”

“Are the secret do-gooders,” Jayne said stonily. “You. Are. Evil. It’s my duty to destroy you and all that you stand for.”

She started to walk away, but his footsteps followed her. “Who are you?” he said as he came up next to me.

“I’m the slayer.”

“What?” he asked. “So that what everyone calls you? ‘Slayer’?”

“It’s what most people have called me.” There were perhaps one or two who knew Jayne’s name AND identity.

“If you’re going for the whole superhero act, something with a bit more bravado might be in order.”

“I don’t want to be a superhero,” Jayne replied. “I want to do what is right. And if you stand in my way Damon Salvatore, I will kill you.”

“But what if I want to stand with you?”

“You want to help me kill your own kind?” Jayne asked doubtfully. “Add in the fact that it’s you…no.”

“I have my own reasons for wanting these people dead.”

“And that’s what worries me Salvatore,” Jayne replied. “You and ulterior motives.”

“So…we COULD work together…”

“When hell freezes over,” Jayne said. “Vampire allies are not on my trust list. And just because we share a common enemy, does not mean we're fighting for the same thing. The enemy of my enemy is not my friend.”

“Just don't rule me off the list. Someday soon we will have to fight together.”

“Keep on dreaming Salvatore," Jayne finished as she started to walk away again. “It's never going to happen.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Vampire Diaries is on tonight. Yay! And i'm on holidays. Another Yay!
The annoying thing about this story, is that i already know what's going to happen in the end and i can visualise it quite clearly, but i still have to get there. Sigh.
Anyway, comments always appreciated.

Nita.xx