Status: Done! Sequel coming/in progress.

The Redhead, and The Dreamer.

Research.

Now that I was sure Ethan wanted nothing much to do with me, I thought about him twenty-four seven. I wanted him. I wanted him bad. I told Crystal what he’d said and she only laughed at me.

“Well, some guys are like that.” We were in her bathroom getting ready to go out that night. There was another party out in the woods on the edge of town again, and I was trying twice as hard to look good. I knew Ethan was going to be there, and one of these days, I was going to get him to play me a song, even if it killed me. “He’s pretty hot though, and I’m all natural when it comes to hair color.” I almost laughed. Everyone knew she bleached her hair every few months from her real natural color, a dark dirty blonde, to a brown and blonde streaked, color. “You mind if I take a crack at him too?”

What was I supposed to say? No? I wanted to. I wanted to call dibs and keep him in my closet, so no other girl could steal him out from under my nose, but people already thought I was crazy enough. I didn’t really need anyone around town suggesting to my mother that I needed a straight jacket. She already was disappointed in me because I got my Monroe and septum pierced the month before, and even though I didn’t keep the septum more than a few weeks before letting it close up again, whenever she looks at my upper lip, she sighed and just walks away without saying anything. If she knew how I really was, I think it might just give her a heart attack. Hell, she still thought I was a virgin at this point in time, and that was something I lost before I became one of the ‘school sluts’. That was going to be one hell of a title to graduate with for sure.

“Go ahead.” I said. I was doing that stupid thing where I tried to use my hands as an iron for the shirt I was wearing, and I knew I must have looked incredibly stupid right about then. “If he’s interested, he’ll play you a song when you walk by, and that is pretty much the green light for him. I still hear he doesn’t really hook up with anyone though, except for that one girl, René, but I hear they’ve known each other since they were kids. Apparently, he used to live around here back in grade school, and he’s only back to spend the senior year with his dad before packing up and heading to California to become a famous musician.”

“Sounds like you’ve done your research.” Crystal said, laughing.

“Nah.”

Of course I’d done my research. I wanted to know what made him think I wasn’t good enough for him really. That, and I actually did want to know a little bit more about the strange boy who sang songs for random pretty girls at all the parties, because I really wanted to be one of those girls.