Sequel: Anchor.
Status: Complete.

Love Gone Mad

Let's Flip The World Upside Down.

"We're late!" Adara cried as she vaulted out of bed.

"What?" Rachelle said sluggishly, letting out a yawn.

"Get up! Get up! Professor Snape is going to kill us," Adara hollered as she ran about the room.

Rachelle's eyes widened as she looked at her clock. As she went to get out of bed, her foot became entangled in her bed sheet and Rachelle tumbled out of bed and onto the floor.

"Why didn't Deveny wake us?" Rachelle growled as she stumbled about the room in search of her school books.

"I don't know, but she's going to get an ear full," Adara spat as she hopped on leg, trying to get her jeans on.

The two girls frantically ran out of the common room and headed to the Potions classroom.

Adara skidded to stop as they reached their destination. Rachelle and Adara looked at each other and took a deep breath. Both girls were nervous of what Snape would do if they were late to Potions again.

This would be their third time.

Rachelle pulled open the black stone doors; "Brilliant, it is over," she huffed and her eyes met the empty work desks. Adara let out a disappointed groan beside her.

"May I help you ladies with something?" a middle aged man asked as he made his way over to Rachelle and Adara.

"No sir, "Adara answered. She studied the man in front of her. He had tired pale blue eyes. A wrinkled expression probably resulting from old age and stress. She didn't recognize him.

"If you don't mind me asking," Adara continued, "Who are you? I haven't seen you around Hogwarts before."

"Did you not hear Dumbledore's announcement this morning at breakfast?" the man questioned, eying the girls suspiciously

"We didn't go to breakfast; we slept in by mistake," Rachelle confided.

"Oh, I see." the old man grunted, "My name is Horace Slughorn, your new potions teacher."

Adara's eyes grew wide, "What happened to Professor Snape?"

"Oh, nothing. He will be teaching Defense against the Dark Arts now." Professor Slughorn replied, giving the girls a half smile.

"We're so sorry for missing your first class, Professor," Rachelle said, feeling terribly guilty.

"My first class?" Professor Slughorn's eyes narrowed. "My dear, classes don't start until Monday."

"Monday?" Adara mumbled. "But today is Monday."

Horace Slughorn let out a chuckle, "No, today is Sunday."

"What?" Adara exhaled.

"Well, that explains all this," Rachelle said, motioning toward the empty classroom.

"It sure does," Professor Slughorn spoke. "I will see the two of you in class tomorrow morning."

"I feel so dumb," Adara expressed as the two walked away from the classroom.

"You should," Rachelle teased. "Well, I am going to put on some proper clothing."

Adara laughed and looked at Rachelle, who was still in her pajamas. Adara watched

Rachelle skip past her and she was left to wonder the Hogwarts halls alone.

Image

The castle was surprisingly empty. Adara figured most of the students were sleeping in or exploring the castle grounds. She stopped by one of the windows overlooking the Quidditch field; the Gryffindor team was practicing.

A glimmer of red hair caught her eyes as she scanned the players.

There he was; the boy that had recently begun to cloud her mind.

Adara leaned up against the wall, folded her arms across her chest, and watched George zoom about the field. The longer she watched him, the more she wanted to be around him again.

Adara wasn't sure why she felt this way; it wasn't like her to go against her families' judgment. But she knew this boy was different, this boy meant something.

Tearing her gaze away from the window, Adara heard voices coming down the corridor. She dashed down the corridor in the opposite direction. Once she was out of sight, Adara tried to identify who was walking about the castle.

"Are you sure?" a cold voice asked, Adara furrowed her brow trying to make out the voice's owner.

"If you didn't execute this perfectly, innocent people are going to get hurt," the voice continued.

"Snape," Adara determined. The voice belonged to Severus Snape.

"I was chosen for this wasn't I?" a second voice spat.

"Draco," Adara whispered, recognizing his voice immediately.

She heard their footsteps growing closer, Adara didn't want to get caught eavesdropping.

She frantically looked around for a place to hide, but was without luck.

Just act casual,” Adara thought to herself. She began walking in the direction of Professor Snape and Draco.

"Ah, Miss Malfoy," Snape hissed, a half smile appeared on his lips.

"Hello Professor," Adara charmingly greeted. "May I borrow, Draco?"

Snape passed a glance over to Draco, who nodded his head.

Adara linked an arm with her cousin and they began walking down the corridor. Adara told Draco all about the incident this morning with thinking it was Monday; Draco didn't react as she thought he would. He merely smiled.

"What has been up with you lately?" Adara asked, "You're different."

"I feel different," Draco expressed, glancing at the ground.

"How did your date with Rachelle go?" Adara curiously asked as they rounded a corner. The hallways were beginning to fill up; it was almost time for dinner.

"We had a nice time," Draco admitted, keeping his voice low.

"And?" Adara pressured.

"And that's it," Draco shrugged. "We talked, had dinner, and went home."

"I'll get more details out of Rachelle," Adara teased.

Draco began to tense up as they saw Madame Pomfrey scurrying towards them.

Adara looked around to see what was the matter and her eyes widened at the sight of Hagrid, Albus Dumbledore, and the Golden Trio (Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, and Hermione Granger) escorting a young woman on a stretcher through the halls.

"What happened?" Adara mumbled to herself.

"I've got to go," Draco hissed and slipped down the hall and out of sight.

"Katie Bell has been cursed," Adara overheard a few Ravenclaw girls whispering as they passed by.

"Cursed?" Adara breathed. Her mind went to the conversation Snape and Draco were having in the hallway earlier.

"Draco," Adara called out, hurrying after him, but her cousin was nowhere to be found.

"Hi Adara," Rachelle called from behind, "We've been looking everywhere for you."

"Hey," Adara replied, her eyes looking around frantically for Draco.

"What's the matter?" Deveny questioned, "Looking for someone?" She let out a giggle.

"Oh, hush, Deveny," Adara laughed, playfully hitting her on the arm. "I was looking for Draco."

"Let's go to dinner," Rachelle spoke up, ignoring Adara's comment. "I'm starving."

On the way to the Great Hall Adara told Deveny and Rachelle about how she overheard Snape and Draco talking in the halls and how Katie Bell had been cursed.

"Do you think Draco had something to do with it?" Deveny whispered as they trio entered the Great Hall.

"It seems that way, doesn't it?" Adara spoke. Rachelle and Deveny nodded in reply.

"Draco was really distant when we went on our date, I just thought it was nerves, but maybe he was planning something," Rachelle suggested.

"So I am guessing things didn't go so well?" Deveny asked as the girls took their seats at the Slytherin table.

Rachelle shook her head, "I've daydreamed of going on a date with Draco Malfoy for years and it just wasn't what I thought it would be like. Oh well."

"I'm sorry, Rachelle," Adara expressed taking a serving of food from the buffet in front of them.

"Hey," Pansy Parkinson greeted as she sat next to Adara.

"Hi," Adara mumbled. She wasn't too fond of Pansy; Adara never understood how Draco could be friends with her.

"Did Draco tell you that he quit the Quidditch team?" Pansy calmly stated as she unfolded a napkin and placed it upon her lap.

"What?" Adara choked, "Draco loves Quidditch, and he'd never drop out."

"Yeah, are you positive you heard right, Parkinson?" Deveny questioned, glaring at her.

"Yes," Pansy insisted, "The team was talking about it today."

Adara sighed. “What’s happening to him?” she thought to herself.

“In other news, I know about you and Weasley,” Pansy whispered narrowing her eyes at Adara.

Adara nearly choked on her food, “What are you talking about?” She tried to recover.

“Don’t worry, I won’t tell--yet.” Pansy threatened, flipping her brown hair off her shoulders.

“There is nothing to tell,” Adara persuaded, taking a sip of her pumpkin juice.

“Oh really? I saw you two in the Three Broomsticks,” Pansy spoke, “And it looked like something.”

“You’re wrong,” Adara growled.

“If you say so,” Pansy sneered, “I’m going to finish eating in the common room. I have loads of homework to do.” Pansy grabbed to dinner plate and hurried out of the hall.

“Ugh, I hate her,” Deveny grunted, sticking her tongue out at Pansy.

Adara looked frazzled.

“Don‘t worry about her, Adara,” Rachelle comforted. “She only wants attention.”

“I’m going to go for a walk,” Adara expressed, “I need some air.”

“Alright, we will see you in the dormitory,” Rachelle spoke, giving Adara a sympathetic smile.

Image

Adara walked out of the main doors of Hogwarts and onto the grassy field. The sun would be setting soon.

“Funny, I’d see you here,” a familiar voiced called out as Adara roamed across the Hogwarts grounds.

Adara quickly turned around in the direction of the voice and found that no one was there.

“Great,” Adara groaned, turning back around, “I’m hearing voices now.”

The voice she heard before began to laugh, “You’re not losing your sanity, Miss Malfoy.”

George Weasley sat on his broomstick, hovering just above the ground.

Adara felt her heart tighten at the sight of him.

“Are we not on speaking terms?” George asked after Adara remained quiet.

“No, no, we are. I am just stressed,” Adara sighed, walking over to him.

“Stressed?” George asked, watching Adara.

“Yes,” Adara said, she was now standing a few inches away from George. She could smell him, she could see he glow in his eyes. She smiled.

George looked past Adara and noticed the sun was about to set.

“Hop on,” George insisted.

“What?”

“I want to show you something,” George said. “Quickly, before we miss it.”

“Okay,” Adara replied, she awkwardly mounted the back of George’s broom.

“I am going to fall off,” Adara gasped as George pushed off of the ground and the broom zoomed into the air.

“No you won’t; not if you hold on,” George said, a hidden smirk played on his lips.

Out of fear of falling, Adara grabbed onto the back of Georges shirt and leaned her head against him. She felt her face grow hot.

A cold breeze danced around her as George ascended the skies.

“Here we are,” George spoke, causing Adara to open her eyes. She let out a faint scream when she saw where they were.

“The castle’s roof?” Adara asked; her blue eyes were like saucers.

“Correct,” George answered, “And yes, it is safe.” Giving her a wink.

Adara let out a nervous laugh.

“You can let go now,” George reminded Adara and she quickly let go of his shirt.

George stepped off of his broom and held out his hand for Adara to take. She grabbed his hand and cautiously dismounted the broom.

“Now,” George said, taking a seat of the peak of the castle roof, “We watch the show.”

Adara sat down next to him and was awestruck by the sight in front of her.

The sky was painted with luminescent colors and the blazing sun’s rays shown through the clouds giving them the appearance of being made from gold. Pigments of pink, blue, red, and gold danced across the sky before them. It was as if a master artist had hand crafted and orchestrated this piece to perfection and now it was time to reveal his masterpiece to the world.

“Wow,” Adara sighed, as they sky’s colors darkened as they sun descended into a blacked abyss.

“Exactly,” George muttered.

"Thank you for sharing that with me," Adara expressed, bringing her knees up to her chest.

"Not a problem, mate," George smiled; his eyes were twinkling under the light of the moon.

"He looks so handsome," Adara thought to herself, giving George a smile.

George and Adara sat upon the roof talking for hours. They spoke of nothing worth value, only random thoughts and stories. Adara couldn't remember a time where she had laughed harder. She learned of George's life. His family, his home, his friends, and his dreams. Adara told George the same. They both found it strange and somewhat refreshing to hear about their lives from a different perspective. Adara realized that maybe Gryffindors aren't as bad as she thought and George began to share the same opinion on Slytherins.

"I don't care about reputations," George confessed. "I want to be friends with you."

"We are friends," Adara reminded him, but deep down she wanted to be more.

"I know, but not in secret." George spoke, his shaggy red hair falling playfully across his face.

"Like, I can talk to you in the halls, at dinner, and even in class."

Adara grew nervous with this idea. "Everyone would freak out; they would think the world flipped upside down."

"Then lets flip the world upside down, Adara," George beamed, he loved the thrill of causing a commotion.

Adara remained quiet, gathering her thoughts. "It would be madness," she finally spoke.

"If I may remind you, our friendship is based on madness," George said, letting out his charming laugh.

"Okay," Adara breathed, "But we'll need to start out slowly."

George grunted in protest.

"No, hear me out, George," Adara said: "It will work out better if we do."

George stroked his chin and nodded in agreement. “I guess we could start by calling each other by our first names and not insulting one another in public.”

Adara raised and eyebrow at his quick response. It seemed as if he had pre-planned it.

“Sound good? Let’s shake on it,” George spoke, holding out his hand for Adara to take.

“Deal,” Adara replied, taking George’s hand and shaking in agreement.

“This is going to be fun,” George muttered, smiling at Adara.