Sequel: Anchor.
Status: Complete.

Love Gone Mad

Another Birthday.

9:01 AM.

Adara's alarm clock flashed repeatedly as its shrill pierced through the once tranquil surrounding. Without much coordination, an arm shot out from underneath the violet colored bedding, trying to silence the alarm.

Adara rose from her bed, silently cursing the morning under her breath. Out of habit, she shuffled into her bathroom and locked the door.

Adara snickered at the sight of herself as she peered into her bathroom mirror. Her ebony hair had obtained volume and width she thought impossible until now and her pajamas were twisted and in a bunch all around her slender body.

Adara began to play with her unkempt hair and decided a shower was vital. She twisted the handle of the shower allowing a lukewarm rain to fall upon the floor. She stepped inside the steamy, glass walled box; pulling the door closed behind her. Goosebumps appeared on her body, as the warm water collided with her skin. The fragrance of vanilla filled the small room as she lathered her hair with shampoo.

Adara stepped out of the shower to be greeted with a most amusing sight. The words, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" were sketched across the foggy bathroom mirror. Adara laughed to herself; already knowing who the culprit was. She quickly muttered a spell that dried her damp hair and clothed her instantly.

Adara left her bedroom and tip-toed across the hardwood floor in the hallway. She glanced over her shoulder making sure the coast was clear before she reached her destination. Slowly grasping the cold brass door handle, Adara shrieked. She quickly turned around and playfully punched her beloved cousin in the gut.

"You're terrible," Adara joked as she watched her cousin clench his stomach. "You ruined my fun of trying to scare you," she continued and followed her arms across her chest, pretending to be angry.

"Oh, for Merlin's sake, Adara," Draco chuckled as he forced his cousin to hug him. "Happy 17th birthday!" He sang as he began to tickle Adara's sides. Adara laughed and squirmed in his arms.

"Draco, stop" she gasped, trying to escape.

Adara felt her cousin loosening his grip and she quickly ceased the opportunity to escape. She stood there a moment, trying to catch her breath. Draco looked pleased. Adara began to smile as she looked at the sparkling blue eyes of her cousin.

She loved this boy.

Draco knew not to mention the death of Adara's parents because it would only bring his cousin heart ache. Likewise, Adara never mentioned the tragic event on her birthday either. She knew her parents' death was of the past and they would want her to move on. "Your birthday is a day for celebration not mourning," her uncle Lucius would always remind her.

"Where are Narcissa and Lucius?" Adara asked as she followed Draco down the stairs and into the dining room.

"Diagon Valley, you know how they like to procrastinate," Draco responded, referring to Adara's birthday gifts.

He brushed his platinum blond hair to the side and took a seat at the glass dining room table. After getting comfortable, Draco called --more like shouted-- for one of the house elves to come into the room.

"I should have known," Adara laughed as she pulled out a chair, seating herself across from her cousin.

Her toes curled as the met the ice-cold tile floor beneath her. Adara watched two house elves scurry into the room with two steaming plates of breakfast. Draco eyed his meal hungrily and shooed the house elf away.

"Happy Birthday, Miss Malfoy," one of the two house elves chirped while handing her a plate of delicious food. Adara sneered at the disgusting creature, not acknowledging its comment.

Draco and Adara's heads turned toward the faint sound of a pop which came of the next room. Adara smiled, knowing who arrived, and excused herself from the table. She skipped into the next room, ready to be showered with hugs and birthday wishes from her adoring aunt and uncle.

"There she is," Lucius said as he beamed with delight at the sight of his niece. He wrapped her into a warm embrace wishing her a happy birthday, then kissing her on top of the head.

Narcissa finished setting down the many shopping bags, which she noticed Adara eying from behind her uncle.

"Come here, my dear" Narcissa beckoned as she welcomed Adara into her arms, also wishing her a happy birthday.

Adara spent the rest of the day enjoying her birthday presents, spending time with her family, and playing an intense game of quidditch with Draco. However, she couldn't help, but notice the tug on her heart. She missed her parents.

Image

"I can't believe we go back to Hogwarts in two weeks," Adara said as she sat on Draco's bedroom floor, staring aimlessly at the ceiling.

They had been talking for hours and gorging themselves with Adara's birthday candy.

"I know, it's bloody ridiculous," Draco responded as he stretched out on his bed. "Potter better stay out of my way."

"Well, I'm going to go change. We leave for Diagon Valley in 30 minutes," Adara reminded Draco before leaving his room and waltzing into her own. Adara heard her cousin groan in protest before she shut her bedroom door.

Adara opened the double doors of her closet, grabbed various items of clothing from it, and dashed into the bathroom. After changing, she looked in the mirror and admired her appearance. She styled her long dark hair in lose wavy curls and applied a small amount of makeup to compliment her natural beauty.

Moments later, she was descending the stairs and joining Draco in the den while they waited of Narcissa to appear.

"You look nice," Adara teased Draco while taking a seat beside him on the red velvet love-seat.

"I try," he winked while smoothing back his golden hair, at the sides, and looking down at his clothes.

"You’re so full of it," Adara joked causing Draco to smirk.

Just then Narcissa walked into the room, Adara and Draco got up and stood beside her and all three apparated to Diagon Alley, in search of this year's school books.

Only seconds before vanishing, a feathered visitor swooped into Adara's room; leaving behind a while envelope.