Jumper

The Back of the Library

I didn't know her name. I knew she was a blonde, always wearing some kind of sundress that I only saw in the back of the library during third period when I went in there for study hall. She would be sitting on the floor, barefooted, leaning against the shelf. I would watch her from afar, analyzing what she would do next.

I remember watching her flip through one of the books, her eyes looking for something that she couldn't seem to find. When she didn't find it, she turned to another book, the same look in her eyes.

One day, she looked over at me. Her blue eyes were glazed over for a moment before they became clear blue; she winked at me. Taking a thick blue book in her hands, the once gold writing no longer seen easily, she flipped it open and looked at the page.

Almost instantly, the book and she began to glow. She disappeared, the book dropping to the floor.

I was silent, staring with awe as I watched the spot that the girl had just been in. I ran to the spot, ignoring the calls from the librarian. I picked up the book, looking at the page. It was a bunch of numbers, and math words, and shapes with strange symbols. I looked at the cover.

Calculus

I flipped the pages, looking for something, stopping at a page with a wide graph on it. A small drawing of a girl was moving, jumping around on the grid... almost like she was playing hopscotch.

The figure looked at me, small blue dots for her eyes, before the book began to glow again. I dropped it, and she appeared beside me. I looked at her, amazement on my face yet again. She held a finger to her lips, keeping me silent before touching one of the books on the shelf, disappearing again. I pulled the book out immediately, looking at the front cover.

The Fixed Deck

She was playing poker with the other characters on the front.

She disappeared again, a book close by glowed...

We continued to have a wild goose chase, she would make a book glow and then jump to another, I would follow like an obedient puppy. Finally, the bell rang and I couldn't continue my chase.

I never saw her again after that day. I guess she finally found her last adventure.