Trains

1/1

He had waited his entire life for this one sunrise. It was cold on the train tracks, but he had given his jacket to the beautiful girl in his arms. They had been to Hell and back, yet they somehow managed to find their way back to each other. Her face was the only one he wanted to see for the rest of his life. He knew that their love was enough to conquer all. Sitting on the train ​tracks watching the sunrise with Amelia was the only place Jaden wanted to be.

He thought back on the past that had led them to this heart-stopping moment in time. The tears she cried as he sat outside her house screaming for her forgiveness. The alcohol he swore never again to drink. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The girl ​that became the decision he would regret most. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​The shake in his hands as she stumbled back into his arms. The words he whispered to her:

"I'll never let you go again, sugar."

Jaden slipped the ring back on her finger that she had thrown in his face only hours before. The sun behind her, Amelia kissed her silly boy's cheek. She loved him more than she should, but the world would explode before she would ever let go of his hand.

He nuzzled her neck as the sun fully rose. Amelia let a tear escape her glass green eyes. She wasn't a girl used to gentleness. His love meant more to her than the moon that kept the oceans circulating. Neither of them thought the sun would ever rise on this dreadful night. The hurt that they both had endured had felt as though the darkness would last for eternity.

"Marry me, sugar."

Jaden had whispered those three words to Amelia exactly a week before their sunrise. She had, of course, responded with an enthusiastic yes. He was her world and she never wanted to be without him. Amelia had hated throwing him out of their shared house earlier that night.​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​The hours that they had spent apart were more than she could bear. She cried the entire time with his pillow clutched to her chest.​ Never again did she want to feel that agony.

The thought of the future excited both lovers. Jaden was set to leave on tour in the spring. Amelia would go with him as a merch girl for his band. They would marry on stage at the last tour date. He would wear a tuxedo jacket with skinny jeans and she would be clad in a white sundress with Doc Marten's. Their friend and Jaden's band-mate,​ Stephen, would marry them after their last song. As the two lovers said "I do," the band would play the chorus of "If I'm James Dean, Then You're Audrey Hepburn" by Sleeping with Sirens. The two had proclaimed that as their song when it had first debuted.

They were only in their early twenties, but the pair had already decided the rest of their lives. Amelia desperately wanted children, while Jaden didn't like them. This was the only thing they disagreed on, but Jaden decided to let her have her way. They would try in a couple of years.

A​ distant whistle alerted the lovers of an oncoming train. They made no motion to move, both too comfortable to think of leaving their position. As a bright light came around the bend, they jumped up and moved to the side.

"If you do not love me, tell me now. I would rather throw myself under this train than live without you," Jaden proclaimed as the train grew louder.

"Of course I love you, darling. I followed you into the night at three this morning not even knowing our destination. I took you back after everything that has happened. How can you stand there and doubt my love for you?" Amelia laughed at his antics​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​, moving farther away from the tracks.

Jaden laughed along with her and tried to embrace​​​​​​ her lithe body​​​​​​​​​​​​. His shoe was caught on the railroad tie. As the train came closer, they both tried unsuccessfully to remove his foot from the tracks. Amelia stood in the middle yanking on his shoe. The train was no more than thirty feet away. Jaden whispered a desperate vow of love before shoving his fiancee off of the tracks.

Amelia screamed in sorrow as the large train crushed her love to death. She collapsed on the ground sobbing helplessly. His name left her shrieking mouth as the murderous train left the site of Jaden's body. She did not want to look at the bloody gore that remained. Instead, the broken girl stumbled to her feet and dusted her jeans off. She held her head in her hands and mourned the loss of her truest love. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

One thought cheered her as she cried: Another train was due in less the​n​​​​​​​​​​ five minutes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin