Status: RE-WRITTEN

Life, Death, and Strange Encounters

Chapter 22

The next morning I woke up early. It was finally Christmas! How could time fly so quickly? It seemed as if only yesterday was our first day in England with Lucy, yet it had been a month already. So many things had happened during that time… We had both discovered new worlds, quite literally. And now we had only one full day of our vacation left. I didn’t want to think about what would happen to Isaac and I after I went back to Estonia. I decided to put off worrying for as long as possible and just enjoy the time I had left.

I rolled over and watched Isaac sleeping next to me. I knew it was still early, but I thought that we should make the best of the day. I crept closer to him and put my hands on his chest, leaning towards his ear, whispering “Isaac… Sweetheart, wake up.”

He opened his eyes slowly, blinking a few times. Then focused on me and smiled. “Love, you’re up early.”

I returned the grin. “Of course I am, it’s Christmas, after all! And you know that today is my last day here… I know we haven’t given it much thought, but our time here is almost over.”

His smile fell at that. “Couldn’t you just stay here with me?”

I sighed. “I would love that, but you know that’s not possible. I have my life and work back in Estonia, I can’t just throw it all away, although I wish I could.”

“We’ll see about that."

Assuming he was joking, I smiled and decided to lighten up the mood. “You know what we haven’t done yet? Tried out your hot tub. We should totally do it now!”

Of course he started grinning when I mentioned that. “This is such a good idea.”

He climbed out of the bed and ran into the bathroom to fill the tub. After it was ready, he came back for me, pulling me up and stripping me out of my nightgown. We then slipped into the warm water to enjoy each other’s company and didn’t move from that position for a few hours. It was nice, just the two of us.

Finally, we decided that facing the rest of the world would be inevitable. Dressed, we walked to the dining room for breakfast. Just as we were about to go in, Sebastian and Lania came out, having obviously just finished eating. They smiled at the sight of us.

“Merry Christmas! Oh, how I love this human holiday! I wish they could see what amazing decorations can be made with magic…” Sebastian grinned, gesturing towards the dining room. I guess we were in for a surprise. He and Lania walked off, leaving us by ourselves.

We walked into the dining room and I gasped, unable to hold myself back. The whole room was decorated in gold, red and green, but what was the most amazing – snow was falling from the ceiling! It seemed completely real, but it wasn’t cold at all and the flakes seemed to evaporate before actually coming in contact with us. The chandeliers had ice cones hanging from them and it seemed that even the cook, who came to personally wish us a Merry Christmas, was in the right spirit – he had changed his usual white attire to an identical red one.

After we finished the amazing breakfast, Isaac took my hand, saying “I need to go talk to my father. Do you mind if I leave you for a while?”

I shook my head. “Of course not, darling. I can amuse myself. Go talk to him.”

He smiled. “I’ll come look for you in our room when I’m done, okay?”

Nodding, I pushed him out of the door, giggling. “Go on already, I can manage.”

***

Isaac’s POV

I walked, almost ran, to my father’s office. I was determined to ask Johanna to marry me. The time was nearing for her to go back, but I couldn’t let her do that without a promise that she would return. I hoped that I wouldn’t scare her off, but something told me she would understand. After all, so many signs had showed us that we were meant to be.

She was my angel in disguise.

Not even bothering to knock, I burst into my father’s study. He looked up from his work and when he saw the state I was in, smiled knowingly. “What’s the hurry, son? Do you have something you wish to tell me?”

I nodded. “I am going to ask her to marry me. Tomorrow. And I want your blessing.”

My father smiled. “You know you already have my blessing. Grandfather also approves, by the way. I just talked to him yesterday and he got this know-it-all look on his face again and said “Fate has determined this course, therefore it’s set in stone.” I say go for it.”

Smiling at the good news, I turned to leave. “I’ll go and look for mother, she has the engagement ring that has been in our family for millennia. I believe it is time for me to use it.”

Father nodded and waved at me goodbye.

I was already thinking about going back to Johanna, but I needed to talk to my mother first. I found her from the north wing of the castle, where her sleeping quarters were. She was reading a book when I burst in. Seeing me in such a hurry, she smiled.

“Has something happened?”

I shook my head. “Well, not exactly. But I need your help, mother. I want to ask Johanna to marry me.”

Her eyes started sparkling. “I knew it. You need the ring, then.” Standing up from her chair, she walked to her vanity and pulled open a small compartment, taking a black box from it. Caressing it gently with one finger, she gave it to me.

“Be careful with it. It is older than our kingdom.”

“I know, mother. Thank you. Wish me luck!”

“Good luck, son. You will succeed.”

Just as I was making my way back towards the corridor where the dining room was, I heard voices. Rounding the corner, I saw Johanna and Jonathan arguing in front of the dining room door. I guess she hadn’t gotten far away. Angrily, I made my way towards them, ready to kill Jonathan.

***

Johanna’s POV

When Isaac left, I walked aimlessly through the corridors of the castle. I had a lot to think about. Mostly concerning my relationship with Isaac. The majority of my thoughts were happy, but still I couldn’t escape from some negative ideas that sneaked their way into my mind like little worms.
Just as I was pondering on one of them, I almost collided with Lucy, who was running towards me with the biggest smile on her face. I steadied myself and looked at her expectantly.

“What’s made you so jolly this morning? Merry Christmas, by the way,” I laughed.

Lucy enveloped me in a bone-crushing hug, laughing hysterically. When she finally pulled away, she grabbed my face between both of her hands and squealed “Damien asked me to marry him! And I said yes! Can you believe it?”

I looked at her, surprised. Lucy getting married? I thought I would never see the day. This crazy hyper girl was not one for marriage. But I guess Damien had really changed her. Being in love had really changed her.

I swallowed a pang of jealousy, focusing on the joy I felt for her. “Sweetie! I’m so happy for you! Who would have thought that you would get married?”

“I know, right? Only I have something really important to ask you. Would you be mad at me if I let Damien turn me into a vampire? It’s kind of a traditional part in a vampiric wedding…”

I was taken aback for a second, but quickly composed myself. “If that makes you happy, I will not stand in the way. Just don’t bite me, okay?”

She giggled. “I promise. So how are things with Isaac? Have you decided what you’re going to do when we need to leave?”

My face fell at that and I sighed deeply. “I have no idea yet. I am sure that he is the love of my life. He’s the best for me, as I am best for him. But how will we manage? We haven’t discussed it, but I’m sure we have to have a long talk.”

Lucy sighed, sharing my pain, and hugged me again. “I’ll try to make you feel better – look, I brought your present!”

She handed me a small black bag. In it, I found beautiful black lace gloves. “For you to wear in autumn and spring,” she said.

I smiled and thanked her. “You will get your present when we have a party back in Estonia. I can’t give it to you now, it would ruin the meaning.”

She giggled and said it was okay, she wanted to know what it was, but was happy to wait and see. She then left me and ran back to Damien. I continued my walk through the corridors, feeling happy and sad at the same time. Somehow, my feet found the way back to the dining room. There, I bumped into Jonathan.

I rolled my eyes and wanted to push past him, but he grabbed my arm. “Let go, you prick! What the hell are you doing here, anyway?!”

He smirked. “I just came to visit my darling mother and father like the good son I am. And I wanted to see you, sweetheart. Although my parents seem to be under the impression that I haven’t been all that nice to you and politely asked me to leave…”

“I’m not your sweetheart, asshole,” I spat. “Get the hell off me!”

His eyes had an evil gleam. “You are meant to be with me, you know. Meant to be with me forever. I want you. I must have you.” He pulled me closer.

I pushed against him. “I love only Isaac, you maniac! Are you brain damaged? Go away! You’re insane!”

Just as he was about to answer, I saw Isaac angrily making his way towards us. I pulled with all my strength and broke free, running into Isaac’s arms. I had to hold him back, otherwise I’m sure he would have attacked Jonathan. I can’t say I would have blamed him, though.

Jonathan looked at Isaac with hate. “This is not over yet. Just wait and see.” With that, he walked away. I broke down, crying.

Isaac cradled me in his arms. “Shush, darling. He can’t hurt you. Everything’s going to be okay. Let’s go back to our room.”

When back in our room, Isaac made me a hot bath to soothe me. I climbed in and Isaac stayed with me. I told him about Lucy’s good news and he smiled. “I know, Damien told me that he was going to propose. I’m so happy for them, Lucy seems crazy enough to keep up with him.”

Finally relaxed and calm, I climbed out of the bath and draped a robe around me. I then walked back into the bedroom to retrieve Isaac’s gift. When he saw the box, his eyes lit up. “Oh, darling! I love it. You will get your present tomorrow morning.”

Completely exhausted, I climbed into bed with him.

“Sweetheart?”

“Yes, Isaac?”

“We need to be back in London by three o’clock tomorrow. That way we will have enough time to say goodbye to everyone.”

I sighed. “I know, darling. Good night.”

“Good night, my love.”

“Isaac?”

“Yes, love?”

“I don’t want to leave.”

“I know.”

I woke up to an empty bed. Isaac was no longer beside me. Squinting in the bright sunlight flowing through the windows, I looked at the clock on the bedside table. It was already half past eleven! Sighing and yawning, I sat up, looking around. Then I froze.

On the bed, near my legs was a neatly folded white dress. On top of it was a note. I picked up the note, it was from Isaac, of course.

Dear Johanna,
Put on this dress and come meet me at my secret place near the waterfall, 12 o’clock.
Love,
Isaac

Panicking, I jumped up from the bed. I had less than 30 minutes! Quickly, I took a shower and brushed my hair, not bothering with make-up. I then picked up the dress and unfolded it. The dress was made of flowing white silk, embroidered with silver thread and decorated with white lace. All in all, it was one of the most beautiful articles of clothing I had ever held in my hands. I gently slipped it on and not bothering with footwear, took off running towards the forest.

When I finally made it to the clearing, I saw Isaac already there, waiting for me. I smiled when I noticed that he, too, was formally attired, wearing black pants and a white shirt. He smiled and gestured for me to come closer. I was sure that something important was about to happen, but what I didn’t expect was for him to drop on one knee and take my hands in his.

“Johanna, I love you with all my heart, with my whole being. We are meant to be together, as we’ve been told numerous times by now. I would not stand to lose you, to let you go back to Estonia without promising you would come back. I want to spend my eternity with you. Will you marry me?”
He took out the most beautiful engagement ring and held it out to me. Tears started swelling in my eyes and I opened my mouth to answer him.

Before I had the chance, I saw Jonathan step out from behind the trees. In usual circumstances I would have just asked him to leave, but this time things were different. With a dangerous gleam in his eyes, he laughed maniacally, holding a gun pointed straight at me. Isaac and I froze in horror.

“You thought you could just live happily ever after? Well, if I don’t get you, Johanna, no-one will. Especially not my dear brother. Say goodbye to your lover!” And he pulled the trigger, before Isaac had the chance to pull me aside or step in front of me.

I felt a pang of pain just where I thought my heart was supposed to be and then I was consumed by darkness. Blackness was all around me, pulling me down, down, down… Deeper into a peaceful slumber. I just closed my eyes and let myself fall, forgetting everything for a moment.

Just as I had surrendered to the darkness, I stopped falling. I felt somebody’s presence next to me. When I opened my eyes, I had to squint in the bright light that was now surrounding me. Opening my eyes wider after they had adjusted to the light, I looked around in the completely white room I’d fallen into. I didn’t expect to see Isaac’s grandfather, Death, staring calmly at me.
“Good, you’re awake.”

Not sure if I was hallucinating, I decided to ask him the obvious question. “Am I dead?”

He nodded. “Yes. For the time being, you are dead. But this was not supposed to happen. Fate did not determine this course for you, something must have gotten mixed up. Therefore, you have a choice. Do you want to go back to your old life or move on to the next one?”

I stared at him, dumbfounded. “Of course I want to go back! I want to marry Isaac and I couldn’t even give him a proper answer before that lunatic shot me.”

Death smiled, or at least appeared to be doing that. With his facial features constantly blurring and changing, I had a hard time making sure. “You chose well. And, congratulations on the engagement."

Everything around me went black again, but this time I did not lose consciousness and instead of falling I had the feeling of being pulled upwards. After a few moments, the feeling stopped and I opened my eyes, hoping to find myself alive again. When I looked up, I saw many worried, sad faces looking down at me. Isaac’s was the closest one. Tears were streaming down his face, but he was smiling. I returned the smile and said, “yes.”

He furrowed his eyebrows, “Yes what?”

I burst out laughing. “Yes, I’ll marry you, silly.”

Isaac smiled at me and pulled me into a sitting position. He slipped the ring on my finger and hugged me close. Everybody around us started cheering. My fiance helped me stand and I looked around at the people who had gathered here. Before I had a chance to study their faces, I was tackled by Lucy and Lania, who both embraced me, not seeming to want to let go.

Brushing tears from their cheeks, I smiled. “I see you were worried.”

Lucy started sobbing. “I thought you were dead! We all thought you were dead! But now… you’re completely healed!”

I hugged her tighter. “I’m okay. Isaac’s grandfather helped me get back to you.”

Lania and I exchanged a knowing look. I then saw Sebastian nodding to me from a distance. Turning around, I took Isaac’s hand. Although the thought brought a grimace to my face, I had to ask. “What happened to Jonathan?”

Isaac’s face turned serious. “I am not sure. But the second you fainted, he too fell down, dead.”

I sighed and brushed my hand against his cheek. “Your grandfather said that it wasn’t my time to die. Maybe this was fate’s way of correcting itself.”

My lover picked me up in his arms and carried me back to the castle. With a small smile, I looked up at him. “I have a strange feeling that Lucy and I are going to miss our flight.”

Isaac started laughing. “Darling, we now have the whole eternity ahead of us.”