Status: RE-WRITTEN

Life, Death, and Strange Encounters

Chapter 3

When I arrived home in the evening, I was pleased to see that Lucy had prepared dinner. I devoured it as if I had been starving for weeks. She laughed at me. “Jo, honey, take it slow, you’re going to get a stomach ache from eating too fast!”

Listening to her advice for once, I started eating more slowly. Once I was done, we washed the dishes and I made my way to the bathroom to take a shower. After a long day of shooting, a hot shower was just the perfect remedy to soothe my tired body. Done showering, I accompanied Lucy in the living room and we watched TV for a while, though nothing interesting was on. Sadly, watching TV was the best option for an activity, since we were both too tired to think of something else to do.

Finally, fed up with the boring show, Lucy turned towards me, with a curious gleam in her eyes. “So, who was your modelling partner?”

“You won’t believe it!” I assured her, laughing at the memory.

“Tell me!” She sat up straighter, as if that would help her to listen more attentively.

“It was Jonathan, Isaac’s twin brother.” My response was delivered with a smirk, because I knew she would think that I was joking.

Lucy seemed utterly shocked as she looked at me incredulously. “Are you serious?”

“Completely.” I stretched myself and yawned, acting as if what I had just told her wasn’t a big deal, just to see her reaction.

“Wow! That’s so… Weird. I mean, what are the odds, right?”

Her enthusiasm fueled my own and I couldn’t keep myself from blurting out what I was feeling. “Tell me about it! I don’t like him at all, he was so arrogant! The worst part is, we had to act like lovers for the shoot! He looks just like Isaac without a nose ring and you know I like Isaac, so it was quite uncomfortable for me.”

Lucy nodded. “I understand, that must have really sucked. By the way, did you find out why their last name is ‘Death’?”

“No, he didn’t tell me, he said it was a secret, that prick. He was constantly giving me this smug smile, like he was the king of the world or something. And can you believe that their grandfather gave them both a castle for their 18th birthday?!”

Lucy looked at me and shrieked “WHAT!? ARE YOU SERIOUS!? Who IS their grandfather?”

“He didn’t tell me who he is. I personally suspect he’s a mobster or something, since Jonathan kept saying that he was in the “death business,” whatever that means.”

Lucy rolled her eyes. “Well, whatever, but this means they’re like… RICH!”

I laughed at her exclamation. “Yes. I’m aware of that. Big deal.”

The red-headed girl jumped up from the sofa and turned herself towards me, smiling enthusiastically. “So, here’s what we’ll do: you take Isaac and I’ll take Jonathan and we’ll all live happily ever after!”

I started laughing even harder at her antics. “Honey, we don’t even KNOW them that well, and Jonathan is a jerk!”

“So? I can make him a better person with my wonderful abilities!” She gestured at herself.

I smirked. “Right. Do you really want to meet them?”

“Yes! They’re SEXY!”

My best friend’s answer pushed me into near-hysterics. Why was I not surprised that Lucy’s dramatics were led by her inability to think straight when a gorgeous man was around. When I had calmed down a bit and my laughter had been reduced to just giggling, I pointed out “Well, Jonathan did invite me to go visit them in London…”

Lucy’s face lit up. “Great! So you’ll just take me with you!”

“You don’t even know the guys, Luce! And I have to talk to Isaac about it first.”

“Well, we have work tomorrow and he said he’s going to come there every day from now on, so you can talk to him tomorrow!” She squealed.

I rolled my eyes at her hyperactive self and stood up from the couch, intent on going to sleep early. “Fine, I’ll talk to him about it.”

***

Just as Lucy and I had expected, a certain someone was leaning against the counter when we arrived at work the next morning. I had spent a few extra minutes in front of the mirror, to make sure I looked as pretty as possible. I was acting childish, trying to make him like me, but I couldn’t help it. Also, a part of me thought that he did like me. I only hoped I was right and that he wasn’t just flirting with me for the sake of it.

When he saw us coming in, he stood up straight and smiled at us. When we reached him, he gave me a gentle hug and a kiss on the cheek. Lucy also received a hug, upon which I felt a small pang of jealousy in my heart, a feeling I’d almost forgotten. This was a clear indication that I had developed feelings for my handsome new friend. He waited by the counter while Lucy and I took off our coats and put on our aprons. I couldn’t go back to him instantly, because I took orders from customers. Lucy then went to give them the food and drinks they had ordered and I could talk to him again.

“So, I met your brother yesterday.” I sent him a curious look, wondering if he already knew about it.

The smile he had greeted me with faltered for just a second, but he quickly regained his happy composure. “Yes, I know. He told me yesterday evening when we were having dinner. He also mentioned that he invited you to visit us.”

“Indeed. I would be delighted! But could Lucy come, too?” I mentally giggled at the talk we had had with my best friend the evening before, remembering her enthusiasm.

“Of course!” Isaac’s million dollar smile was back in place.

I beamed at him in response. “So, when could we come?” Although I feared that I would come on too strong, I couldn’t help myself. I wanted to spend as much time with him as possible, as soon as possible.

He furrowed his eyebrows in thought. “Well, Jonathan goes back today already. I decided to stay for a few more days. Maybe,” he sent me a quick glance, “if it’s not too soon, you could come back to London with me?”

My heart jumped, but I tried to appear calm and calculating. “It would be reasonable to go with you. I have to speak to Lucy, though. And my boss. My modeling manager wouldn’t mind, but Cynthia can be a handful.”

He gave a light chuckle. “When will you know for sure? Then I could book two extra tickets to my flight.”

“I’ll talk to Lucy right now and I will contact Cynthia later today. Oh, and do you happen to know how much the plane tickets will cost?”

He seemed surprised. “Why, they’re on my expense, of course! You do me an honour by accepting the invitation.”

I was so shocked at his response that my jaw probably hit the floor. “Isaac, I can’t let you pay for the plain tickets! It’s too expensive! I’d feel guilty for the rest of my life!”

The handsome man shook his head. “Nonsense, darling. I have made up my mind.”

Sighing, I managed a smile, knowing that it would be impossible to argue with him. “Fine. I’ll go talk to Lucy right away. Could you please wait here?”

He smiled. “Of course, I’ll be here until your shift is over. I love talking to you.”

I smiled on the outside, but my insides were almost screaming with joy! He LOVED talking to me!

Butterflies, I felt butterflies everywhere.

Isaac’s Point of View

I watched Johanna walk away. That girl… She was gorgeous! She had a spell on me from the moment my eyes locked with hers a few days ago. I had loved a few women in my life, but she… She made me feel emotions unknown to me… Something deeper, unique. It was love, but at the same time so much more. And to think I only knew her for a few days! How was it possible to fall for someone so soon and so thoroughly?

I knew nothing about her, except for her name and that she was a model in addition to her waitress job. She was quite young, I suppose, not much over 20, but yet there was something in her eyes that told me that her soul was much older. I could feel centuries’ wisdom and patience radiating from her eyes. And her eyes… Oh, they were enchanting! The way she looked at me and smiled… It had me falling for her all over again every time her eyes landed on mine.

My thoughts were spinning around in my head. What was wrong with me? I acted like a lovesick fool, and yet I should have known how to behave. I needed that girl… She was the love of my life, the love of my eternity, I could feel it. And yet… Jonathan…

Jonathan just HAD to go and make things complicated. Why did he always need to get what I want?

I told him about Johanna the evening I met her… I told him about my feelings towards her. He only laughed, he’d never felt love.

And then… the night before, during dinner, he told me he had met her and that he was going to have her for himself. That bastard! It was not the first time he seduced the woman I loved just for the fun of it. He got some sadistic pleasure out of playing with my head. But this time, I couldn’t let it happen. She was too special. She was the woman I wanted to spend my eternity with.

I needed to do something about Jonathan, or else she would fall for him. I knew his ways. He would make it happen if he truly wished. We hadn’t got along well after his last betrayal. It was years ago, but these things are never forgotten. Now he planned on doing it again! I needed to make Johanna fall for me. I needed her.

And yet, how was it possible for us to ever be together? She didn’t know who I was. I knew Jonathan played a little guessing game with her, but she didn’t know the truth. I was sure it would frighten her, drive her away from me. I needed her to remain unknowing for the time being. When she had fallen in love with me, I would tell her. I hoped her love would be strong enough. It was egoistical, I know, but that was the only way. I didn’t want to lose her.

I figured that Johanna would have to stay in MY castle, not Jonathan’s. Of course, Jonathan would come to visit as soon as he finds out, but I would still have more time with her. Ah, when I looked into her eyes, I sometimes thought I saw love in them. Maybe I was wrong… But I hoped that it was true. Her love would make me the happiest man on Earth.

I needed her.

I was such a lovesick fool!

Johanna's Point of View

Just as I had promised Isaac, I walked over to Lucy and pulled her into the back room, so that we could talk in private. She seemed concerned at first, thinking something was wrong.

"What is it, Jo?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Isaac repeated his brother’s invitation. He wants us to fly back with him in a few days. He also insisted on paying for our tickets! What are we going to do?"

Lucy squealed with joy. "What are we going to do!? What do you MEAN, what are we going to do!? We're going to accept his offer, of course! I know how much you like him... We couldn't turn down this offer!"

I sighed, and mumbled to myself "Like him… I think I love him..."

Lucy's eyes went wide. "What did you say?"

SHIT! She heard that! "Um... Nothing..."

"Oh, don't you lie to me, you said you LOVE him! Jo, honey, are you out of your mind? You know the guy for only three days! It is not possible to fall in love with someone that fast! And... I'm sorry, but do you really think he would love you back? I mean, you're gorgeous, but... he's obviously a millionaire, considering what Jonathan said! He probably has hundreds of rich girlfriend candidates back home." My best friend looked at me with sorrow.

I nodded sadly. "I know all that, Luce, I know. But do you really think I can help it? Besides, when I look into his eyes, I sometimes think I see love. Maybe it's too soon, but do you really think it wouldn't be possible for him to fall for me when we go to London with him?"

Lucy sighed. "I hope so, I really do. But PLEASE be careful. I don't want you to end up hurt again." Her words made me remember my past, the past I’d locked up in a small box inside my head, out of sight and out of mind. Althought I didn’t want to think about those memories, a small pang of pain went through me, but it passed as soon as it had started.

"I won't end up hurt again. And I will do anything to make him fall in love with me. I need him. I have this feeling he's meant to be with me. We'll see what happens when we’re visiting. But, speaking of our visit, how long do you think we'll be staying there? We have to ask Cynthia to give us some time off."

"Well, I suppose we'll just have to ask Cynthia how much time off she is willing to give us. And then we'll see."

"When are we going to ask her?"

"She said she's coming to check up on things today, I suppose we could talk to her then."

"Good idea. Oh, and Luce... He said he LOVES talking to me." I was grinning from ear to ear.

Lucy smiled in response. "Well, it's a start."

We went back to work, I behind the counter and Lucy to collect dishes from the tables. Isaac was still waiting by the counter, just as he had promised. When he saw me coming, his face lit up in a smile.

I beamed back at him. "Lucy liked the idea. We'll talk to Cynthia today, to see how much time off she's willing to give us."

"Great! As soon as you have talked to her, let me know."

Grinning, I maneuvered behind the counter, to be face to face with Isaac who was leaning towards me. "Of course!"

I looked around in the café. There were not many people around. Well, it was obvious, since it was Wednesday and wintertime. In winter, the only time the café was full was on weekends. In summer, the place was packed from morning till night.

I sighed. "What are we going to do? There aren't any clients around and I'm bored."

He grinned. "How about you make us the best hot chocolate in the world and we'll just talk? You know, get to know each other better."

Smiling, I got to work. "Two hot chocolates coming right away!"