Status: RE-WRITTEN

Life, Death, and Strange Encounters

Chapter 8

Alone once again, I sighed loudly and flopped down on the bed, cursing Lucy under my breath and deciding to just suffocate myself with my one hundred pillows. Alas, my plans were ruined by a knock on the door. I rolled my eyes, not bothering to get up, and yelled “Come in, whoever you are!”

A very familiar-sounding chuckle startled me and I sat up. Isaac was leaning on my doorframe, watching me with one eyebrow raised.

“Nice hairdo, darling.” He smirked.

Fighting a blush that would give away my embarrassment, I glared at him. “I’d like to see what your hair looks like after you’ve buried yourself under a pile of pillows.”

I tried to straighten my hair but it proved to be difficult since I couldn’t really see what I was doing. Isaac sighed and crossed the room with three long strides, sitting down on my bed. He pulled my hands out of my hair and placed them in my lap. Then he took a brush from my bedside table and started brushing my hair. Why didn’t I think of that!? I had forgotten I had my brush practically beside me.

The gentle movement of his hands sent shivers down my spine. I closed my eyes and just enjoyed the feeling. I was one of those people who enjoyed other people playing with their hair.

Soon I was awakened from my daydreams. “Johanna?”

“Yes?”

“I know Lucy went out and I don’t want you to feel lonely, so I thought we should do something.”

“Sure, I’d love that. Actually, I saw that you had a fireplace in the library. Maybe we could go and make a fire?”

“That’s a great idea, darling. And I must say that even if you had said no, I would have begged until you did spend time with me. I’m not that keen on the idea of spending the night with…” - he shuddered - “Helena.”

“Yeah, she’s really something,” I agreed with a laugh.

He put the brush back on the table and stood up. Then he took my hand and pulled me off the bed to lead me to the library.

Isaac pushed open the heavy wooden door and we stepped in. The place was beautiful. The last time I had only got a glimpse, but now I could really examine the majestic room. It was enormous, about the size of the pool and all the walls except for the one with the fireplace were lined with tall bookshelves. The large windows didn’t have curtains, so I could see the black night sky and the moon shining brightly, some of its glow lighting up the window-frames.

We walked towards the fireplace and saw that a fire had already been lit. The flames danced merrily and produced a great amount of warmth. There were two big armchairs in front of the fireplace and a small table between them.

I sat down in one of the chairs. Isaac smiled at me and said, “I know exactly what is missing.” He went and opened a cupboard near the fireplace and took out a bottle of red wine along with two glasses. Then he came back and placed them on the table.

“I hope you don’t have anything against having a glass of wine with me?”

I smiled confidently. “No, I trust you.”

Sitting down in the other armchair, he opened the bottle, pouring first me and then himself a glass. I sipped the red liquid and felt a sensation of warmth trickling down my throat. The wine was amazingly good and made me loosen up a little. Maybe it was a good thing to have a bit to drink every once in a while?

***

We didn’t really end it with one glass. It was now midnight and the fire had almost burned out. Isaac and I were having a really good time, laughing and talking. We talked mostly about me, of course, since apparently the time he would tell me everything about himself had not arrived yet. We also discussed different topics of life and proved to each other yet again that we thought alike about many things.

I was curled up in a ball, covered with a blanket Isaac had found somewhere, my head against the back of the chair. I was looking at Isaac and how gorgeous he looked in the dim light of the fire. How his eyes glistened when he laughed and looked at me, how he flipped his hair out of his eyes… He was definitely flirting with me and I was flirting right back. With every second the feeling deep inside me grew more intensive. I loved everything about him! It was pathetic, really, but you can’t stop your heart from feeling.

He grinned at me when sipping his wine. The bottle was almost empty by now and I was feeling a bit light-headed. Not exactly drunk, but I was in a state where my cheeks were flushed and the world seemed a lot funnier and more carefree than before.

“So, darling, have you had any boyfriends?” His eyes were glistening with mischief.

I processed the question in my brain. My thoughts were a bit slower from the amount of alcohol in my system. When the meaning reached my brain, my blood went cold and I remembered a face. My last boyfriend. I had tried to forget about him, but the question startled me and I remembered it all once again. His drunken breath on my skin, his hands roaming my body, my screams…

I hadn’t realized I was crying until Isaac crushed me in a hug. When I felt his arms around me, I just broke down and sobbed my heart out. He held me tight. “Shh, it’s okay, calm down…”

His soothing voice had an effect on me and finally I managed to calm down enough to be able to speak. “I-I’m sorry… M-my l-last boyfriend… H-he t-tried… H-he tried to rape me.”

Isaac looked at me with horror. “He WHAT!?”

I nodded, sniffing. “Yes. Lucy saved me and called the police. He ran, though.”

I was pulled against him again, as he rocked me gently back and forth in an attempt to calm me. “I am so sorry.”

I cupped his face, looking into his eyes. “Don’t be, it wasn’t your fault. I’m sorry I broke down like that, you just caught me off guard. I’m still trying to forget it.”

He sighed and rested his forehead against mine. “I’m still sorry. No one should experience something like that, especially someone as sweet and fragile as you. I promise, no one will hurt you ever again. I won’t let them.”

I smiled and pulled him into a tight hug. “Thank you.”

We just sat there like that for a while. Eventually, I was starting to feel extremely tired. Isaac took my hand and we went back to my room. He opened the door for me and I headed straight towards the bed, kicking off my shoes in the process. He pulled the covers over me and turned to leave.

I lifted my head. “No, don’t leave. I don’t want to be alone right now.”

He nodded and smiled a bit sadly. “I understand.”

I pulled the blanket away and he took off his shoes, proceeding to climb in beside me. I snuggled my body closer to him as he put his arm around me. I rested my head on his chest and closed my eyes once again.

Isaac started humming softly. I could feel his voice vibrating from his chest. The tune was beautifully calming and the last thing I remember before falling asleep is feeling safe, like nothing could hurt me ever again.

***

When I woke up the next morning, I was greeted by a pounding headache. I groaned and grabbed my head, slowly opening my eyes. Something was out of place. I could feel an arm wrapped around me. I looked to my right and saw Isaac’s sleeping form. Panicking, I quickly lifted the blanket to check if I still had my clothes on. I did. Thank God. The movement caused Isaac to stir. He opened his eyes and smiled at me.

“Are you feeling better?”

Utterly confused, I pondered at his question. My brain does not work when it’s early in the morning. “Why would I…? Oh, now I remember. Yes, I’m fine now. Thank you so much for staying with me.”

He chuckled. “You don’t have to thank me, I’m just happy you’re better now.”

I smiled at him and sat up, yawning and stretching. Suddenly, the door burst open and Lucy walked in. When she saw Isaac and I in bed together, she stopped dead in her tracks and gave us a weird look.

“What’s going on here?”

“Nothing is going on.” I rolled my eyes. “I just remembered about him yesterday evening and Isaac stayed to give me some comfort.”

Lucy nodded in understanding. “Okay, but seriously guys, don’t you know what time it is!?”

Isaac and I looked at each other. “No,” we said in unison.

Lucy rolled her eyes at our oblivious faces. “It’s fucking 1:00 p.m. already!”

My eyes went wide. “Wow, I don’t think I’ve ever slept that long!”

Isaac looked at me and laughed. “I think we should get up.”

Agreeing, I nodded and jumped up from the bed. I ran to the window and pulled the curtains apart. What I saw outside made my eyes go wide for a whole new reason.

“Guys, it’s snowing!”

Lucy gasped and ran to the window to confirm what I saw. “Oh my God, I can’t believe it! It wasn’t snowing just a minute ago, I looked out of the window before coming here.”

Isaac came to stand next to us. “I don’t remember when was the last time I saw snow in England…”

I looked at my companions with excitement gleaming in my eyes. “Can we go outside? Please?” I jumped up and down like a maniacal five-year-old. I loved snow!

Lucy grinned at joined in. “Yeah, Isaac, can we go? Pleaaase?”

We were greeted with a wide smile. “Sure we can. Get your coats, girls.”

Squealing in delight, I grabbed my coat as Lucy went to get hers. I looked at Isaac, questioningly. “Aren’t you putting something on?”

He shook his head and grinned. “No.”

I shrugged. “Suit yourself, but I’m telling you, you will be freezing.”

“No I will be not.”

“Fine,” I rolled my eyes playfully. “We’ll see about that. I know I’m right.”

Isaac laughed. “Love, you’re too confident.”

“I can’t help it,” was my answer.

He cupped my cheek. “You don’t have to help it, you’re cute anyway.”

Once again, butterflies were fluttering around my stomach like every other time he touched me. I really had to get a grip on myself. I couldn’t act like that. I had to refrain from doing or saying something that would give me away.

Lucy came barging through the door and grabbed my hand. “Let’s go!”

We raced outside into the cold air. December had just begun, all traces of autumn had disappeared and winter had taken its place.

I took a deep breath, feeling the pure, icy air go through my lungs and spun around, snowflakes falling on me. Lucy took my hands and we danced around in circles, laughing. Isaac watched us, chuckling often. Finally, the flakes stopped falling. We glanced around us and saw that the ground was covered with a thin layer of pure white snow.

I sighed. “We should go inside.”

“Yeah, we really should. You might catch a cold,” Isaac agreed.

I looked at him, surprised. “So you really aren’t cold?”

He shook his head, grinning.

“Damn, I don’t like being wrong.”

“No one does.”

“That’s right. Let’s go then. Come on, Lucy!”

We went back inside and were just about to go upstairs when Lydia came and informed us that lunch was ready. Lucy said she wasn’t hungry because she had eaten a few hours ago, but I felt my stomach grumble. Isaac and I made our way into the dining room, where no one was currently eating.

“Where is everyone?” I asked, looking around in confusion.

Isaac grinned. “I suppose they are all out. It happens every now and then. So, it’s just you and me.” He looked at me with those gleaming eyes of his and I felt as if I was melting. He always had this strange effect on me.

I blushed and looked down. The glance he gave me was too intense for me to handle any longer. If this was to continue, I would soon fail to keep myself from telling him about my feelings.

Lunch went by in a comfortable silence. When we were done, we decided to go upstairs to change. We had, after all, been in the same clothes since the day before. Just as we were about to turn into the corridor that led to our rooms, we were greeted with the oh-so-familiar screech of Helena.

“Babyyyyy!”

Isaac sent a pleading look towards me, but I just shrugged. What could I have done to help?

The blond… err… woman reached us and instantly jumped on Isaac. He fortunately was able to regain his balance before they both would have fallen to the ground.

She finally let go of him and turned towards me. She sent me the most penetrating glare I’ve ever received in my life.

“Baby, let’s ditch this loser and go to the cinema.”

I looked at her in disbelief. Was that slut really calling me a loser? Isaac seemed to be as shocked as me, apparently, because his reaction was rather angry and I know he’s not the kind of person to get angry very easily.

“Helena, you have no right to insult my guest. She is a very close friend of mine and you will behave around her if you want to stay under my roof. And I have plans for today, so no, I won’t come with you.”

For a moment, Helena looked as if she had been slapped but then composed herself and walked away, not before giving me another glare.

I grinned madly when she was out of sight. “Isaac, that was brilliant! Thank you!”

He chuckled. “No problem, darling! She had no right to insult you. Remind me again why I let her stay here?”

“Your father would be pissed off if you didn’t?” I offered.

His look changed to a sulky one. “Oh, right.”

I smiled and hugged him. “You don’t have to see her, though. Just avoid her as much as you can and you’ll be fine.”

He squeezed me tightly, as if he would never let me go. “I will be fine, as long as you’re here.”

The butterflies were back once again…

Finally, we pulled apart. Isaac seemed to ponder something for a moment, then he spoke. “Helena actually gave me an idea. Do you want to go watch a film?”

“Sure, I just need to take a shower and change.”

He nodded. “Me too. Let’s meet at the bottom of the staircase in two hours.”

***

Back in my room, I paced around nervously. I didn’t know what to wear – the ever-existing female problem. I just dropped it for the time being and decided to take a long shower to clear my head. Of course, it didn’t help and made me think even more. My thoughts were about Isaac, mostly. It seemed he was in my head as well as my heart now. I sighed and stepped out of the shower cabin, grabbing a towel to dry myself off. Then I went back to my bedroom and tried once again to decide what to wear.

Soon I was ready to go. I glanced at the little clock on my bedside table and saw I had ten minutes left. Might as well get going. I grabbed my black coat along with my purse and went downstairs to wait for Isaac.