Coffee and Cigarettes

Chapter 37

"Your daughter," the doctor sighed, "is...in her final moments."

My eyes widened in horror. "No!" I screamed, lunging at the doctor, Bob and Libby holding me back. "You're wrong! She's not dying, she can't be!" Bob wrapped me in a protective embrace as my body wracked with sobs and I collapsed onto the floor.

My mom was bawling her eyes out as my dad bit back faint whimpers. Libby gripped my hand and lifted me to my feet. The doctor stood in front of us and waited for someone to speak.

"Can we see her?" Libby asked in a hoarse whisper.

The doctor nodded. "You can," he said. "But be careful. She's very weak. She's lucky you brought her here right away, without treatment, the fever could've escalated and caused her to die right then and there."

My mom and dad told us to go first. I guess they didn't want to see her just yet--I didn't think they were ready.

I held Bob's hand and Libby held mine. We followed the doctor down the hall to where Blair's room was. We walked inside and I let a small cry escape my throat.

Blair was lying on the hospital bed with IVs and machines hooked up to her frail body. She looked like a twig, ready to snap if you even touched her at all.

Bob pushed me forward. I sat next to Blair as her eyes fluttered open. She turned her head with a great deal of effort and said, "Hey."

"Hi, Bee," I said, smiling on the outside, but crying on the inside.

"Don't be sad," she whispered. She tried to lift her arm, but couldn't find the strength. I held onto her hand. It felt like merely bones as I stroked her palm comfortingly. She sighed. "I'm dying."

"You're not," I said firmly, but my voice faltering a bit. "You'll be alright. I won't let you go."

Blair smiled softly. Even in her current state, I couldn't help but think that she looked like an angel. "Morgan," she coughed. "I know that I haven't been the best sister to you...that I may have bullied you in the past, or made you feel bad about yourself, but I just wanted you to know..."

She coughed again, much more violently this time. My heart was pounding in my chest as she struggled to keep her eyes open.

"I love you with all my heart, baby sister. You're the most beautiful person I know, inside and out. Live your life to the fullest, and don't be sad when I'm gone. I don't want people crying whenever they think of me. You're strong...stronger than I ever could be. Wipe away those tears. Show the world how beautiful that smile of yours is..."

I hastily wiped the tears from my face as Blair started into another coughing fit. "Bob," I whimpered. "Get Mom and Dad."

He nodded and left the room. Blair stared at the ceiling above her.

"When it's your time," she whispered, "it's your time." She turned back to me. "Say goodbye to them for me..." she said. "And tell them I'm sorry for not holding on." She smiled. "I love you, Morgan."

Then she closed her eyes...

...And she was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
feedback, please?
end = soon. maybe the next one.