Coffee and Cigarettes

Chapter 05

They didn't have a name for their band yet. That didn't stop them from being absolutely fantastic. Libby and I sat on the couch, completely enraptured. They were by far the most energetic garage band we had ever seen, and we had seen quite a few. It was Jersey, after all.

Once they finished a song called, Skylines and Turnstiles, Libby and I burst out into applause. Gerard gave a dramatic bow, sweat dripping from the ends of his long, black hair.

"That was amazing," I breathed. "I've never heard anything like that before."

"Me neither," Libby said with a huge smile, looking over at Mikey. Who, of course, blushed and pushed his glasses up his nose.

"I'm getting bored now that practice is over," Ray yawned. "Let's wash up and then go do something."

"Like what?" Matt asked. "There's nothing to do."

Gerard grinned. "Be creative. We'll think of something."

"Mall?" Ray asked.

After a few seconds and no better suggestions, everyone agreed. Libby and I waited while the guys cleaned themselves up a bit and got rid of the sweat and B.O. Sometimes, I think it would be rather disgusting to be a man.

Finally, they had finished deodourizing and de-sweatifying themselves and off we went.

We walked to the mall, since Mikey and Gerard's house was in very close proximity. It was only a twenty minute walk. After about fifteen minutes, my cell phone went off in my pocket and Dead Man's Party by Oingo Boingo blared from my pants.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Where the hell are you?"

Ahaha, Blair. Hello, my dearest bitch sister. "I'm going to the mall with a few friends."

"Who?" she demanded.

"None of your concern. Tell Mom and Dad I'll be home latest by seven."

"Listen, you. Get your ass back here NOW, or--"
Before she could finish her sentence, I ended the call and shoved the phone back into my pocket.

"Blair?" Libby asked. I nodded and sighed.

"Who's Blair?" Matt asked, puzzled by my now disgruntled appearance.

"My sister," I replied bitterly. "She's just mad because I'm not at home. The rest of them are probably doing chores while I'm out having fun."

"Well, who's fault is that for being so anal retentive about cleanliness?" Frank smirked. "I can see the mall. Race you there!"

Before any of us could even mutter another syllable, he sped off, giggling madly into the distance.

The rest of us looked back and forth at each other and we took off as well. Matt was whining about an injured knee, since he was lagging behind me and Libby, who are no track stars for sure. Gerard, who was still pumped on adrenaline from performing in the garage, was nearly caught up with Frank. Ray and Mikey, who had long legs, were jogging comfortably at an oddly high speed.

"Stupid men," Libby hissed under her breath between pants as we finally made it to the mall entrance. After maybe two minutes, Matt joined the rest of us and collapsed onto a bush.

"I hope there wasn't any money being wagered on that race," he huffed. "Because...y'know...unfair advantage, mostly on Frank's part."

"Gerard actually beat me," he shrugged. "He caught up to me and then pushed me over and ran ahead."

Gerard proudly placed his hands on his hips and struck a victorious pose. "I am supreme!" he declared.

Frank kicked him in the shin.

We wandered around the mall for a little bit, stopping at Hot Topic, Pacsun, HMV and most importantly, the food court. Gerard claimed that he really needed a coffee, and so did Mikey, so off we went. I kind of wanted to buy one myself, since Starbucks is pretty much the greatest (and unfortunately, most expensive) coffee shop in...well, the world.

Huzzah.

We lined up and Gerard and Mikey got their coffee, Gerard's treat, since he was such a nice older brother. Blair would never buy me coffee. Bob might, but Blair? No.

"I'll pay," Libby said, already taking out her wallet. Not objecting to a free coffee, I accepted. "Hi," she said to the cashier. "One chai and one coffee, two milks, three sugars."

"That's seven fifty," she replied as Libby handed her the money.

"Two dollars more expensive that at Collin's," she grumbled slightly. "Oh, well."

We grabbed our drinks and sat down at the booths in the food court (Frank sat next to me, yay!). Mikey was hunched over his coffee, sipping it protectively as if it was his only child (which is odd, when you think about it) and Gerard casually sipped his. Well, maybe more than just sipped, because in a few minutes, that coffee was gone.

"Yum," he sighed happily, slouching in his seat. "Starbucks is the sex."

"Indeed," Mikey nodded, savouring his caffeinated drink.

"You people and your coffee," Ray laughed.

Mikey and Gerard narrowed their eyes at him. "You drink coffee too, you fruit." Gerard said accusingly.

"Not as much!" Ray defended. "Geez."

After about five minutes of silence, Libby and I burst out laughing. The five guys stared at us as if we were on crack, and I looked up at Frank and he was smirking at me, one eyebrow raised.

"Don't ask," I said, catching my breath. "Libby and I always burst out laughing during long silences."

"Not to mention awkward ones," Libby giggled.

"Speaking of awkward," Frank said, glancing to his left. "Who's the angry chick coming this way?"

I looked over and groaned audibly. "That's Blair."

Blair came storming over to our table, grabbed me by the shirt collar and dragged me out of the booth. "You're coming home now, come on," she growled, tugging harder and harder.

"Let go of me, Blair," I warned. "Just because you're eighteen, it doesn't mean that you're allowed to abuse me, you fucking bitch."

She tugged harder, jerking me forward this time. "Hurry the hell up."

I wriggled out of her grasp and smacked her across the face. "You might wanna come down from that goddamn 'I'm-legal-so-I'm-better-than-Morgan' cloud, you douche. Go home, I'm not coming with you."

She glared at me and finally said, "Fine. I'll tell Bob and see what he has to say about it."

I snorted. "As if Bob would lay a finger on me. Go home, Blair."

Her face flushed a deep crimson and she turned on her stilettoed heel and hurried away. Libby and the guys ran up to me.

"What was all that about?" Frank asked, sounding genuinely concerned.

"Nothing important," I said quietly, feeling my face redden. "She's just moody. But I have the feeling that I'm going to have to leave soon."

"That's alright," Ray shrugged. "As long as you're okay."

"Don't worry, Blair's always like this," I said, shrugging it off.

"What did she say before she walked off?" Matt asked.

"She said she was going to tell my brother, Bob," I replied.

"Morgan!" I heard a voice screaming my name.

"Well well well," I said, groaning slightly. "Speak of the devil, and he appears."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I'll probably post up to part eleven tomorrow if I have time.
We'll see.
By the way, after part 17 (which is up to what I have on Quizilla), I only update this story on Thursdays.
Just so you know.

Livia