The Sun that Melts Away

un

Alex never really had to work a day in his life. He got through the days with his charm, and roughed the nights with his drive. Life was a breeze when it drained down to girls and booze. He had it made.

But with all the good things, he never thought about the bad things. So needles to say he was very in shock when he had to hear the doctor drone on and on about the matter at hand. Sitting there in Doctor Kocz’s office with his mother at his side, crying her eyes out, wasn’t something he’d expected to happen to him.

Alex had had a number of bad things happen to him, like when his brother had committed suicide, or when his father left to ‘go get groceries’ and never came back. It was a terrifying thing to have to go through, but it would eventually pass and he knew that. But this, this was something that couldn’t fly around him. This was something that wasn’t going to just go away with a few coping methods.

The Doctor wouldn’t shut up, and Alex felt sick to his stomach. What was he going to tell people?

“Mom…” Alex put an arm around his mother who had constant tears rolling down her cheeks. “It’s gonna be fine.”

She sniffled and hugged him tight. In her eyes, he was always going to be the beautiful baby boy she had raised. Her lips trembled and she just couldn’t take it. Why him?

Alex didn’t know how he was able to be so calm about it. He knew what was going to happen, but he also knew that there wasn’t any use in crying. You can’t stop anything with just your salty tears, no matter how many cascade down your face.

He could only hope.

He tried to calm his mother down –Dr. Kocz had left the room to give them a moment alone. “Mommy… Shh, stop.” He wasn’t a momma’s boy, but he respected her a hell of a lot more than anyone else. She did give birth to him and all.

The ride home was quiet, and there was thick tension in the air. No music bounded from the radio, and no words escaped either of their lips. Their thoughts were stuck inside their minds like a shoe in mud.

Alex stared at the trees and the buildings as they passed. His hand was hanging out the window, catching the wind flying by. His sighs were subtle, and his eyes were close to tearful. Every circuit in his brain was blank, empty, a complete twilight zone. Every sound went in one of his ears and out the other. He'd never had a shock so big in his life.

“Honey?” Momma Gaskarth’s voice sounded far, far away. “Alex, are you alright?” Soft and soothing, she whispered to him. “It’s okay to be scared.”

“I’m not scared.” His voice cracked, letting his lie float to the surface. He never wanted his mom to worry about him, he needed to be strong for her. And maybe, if he was lucky, he would be strong enough to fight this. If it was as treatable as the doctor said it was, he would be okay.

Regardless, nothing was going to be the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story is back after being deleted for over a year. Autumn (Baby Blue Eyes) convinced me to restore it, so you can thank her for it. :)

Comment/ Subscribe/ Love