Status: Updates Every Wednesday

Vampire's Pet

Chapter Twenty-Five

I felt dizzy and could not stop swaying on my feet. I was very grateful for Devin at that moment, for he helped me into his chambers. I looked around and began to protest that I should stay in Ariana’s room but he would not listen. He simply shoved me onto his bed and tucked me in with an assuring smile.

“Really, River it’s no problem. You just get some rest and not worry about anything. I’m going to see if Dad will shove everybody out so we can have our own Christmas before sunrise.”

I watched as he disappeared from the room and smiled at Alex and Ariana who sat at the foot of the bed, their brows creased with concern. I patted the bed on either side of me and chuckled as they scrambled onto the bed to snuggle on both sides, their tiny faces buried into my neck. I heard Ariana take a deep breath and lifted an eyebrow. Her eyes met mine and her flesh flushed a bright red with embarrassment. She smiled weakly.

“I’m sorry, River. I’ll be right back,” she said meekly and jumped off the bed, whirling out of the room in a blur. I tilted my head to look at Alex and stroked his black hair. His green eyes stared back at me and his frown deepened.

“Are you going to be okay?” he asked softly and I felt my smile widen. I pulled his head closer and laid my lips gently on his forehead, continuously stroking his hair all the while. I murmured to him reassuringly and allowed my eyes to close. My thoughts trailed off toward the strange woman who the master had called Rosalyn. There was something about her that did not fit right. There was a strangeness about her that seemed unnatural and I knew without a doubt that she was dangerous. I felt a phantom pain inside of my chest and I frowned and reached up to rub the spot gently with kneading fingers. Why does it hurt so much to know that the master will be wed?

I was no given much time to dwell on it because Leon suddenly appeared in the doorway looking misplaced and uncomfortable. His blue eyes watched me from the shadows carefully and I knew that he felt out of place here. I gave a sigh and tilted my head away. I could not bear to look at him after discovering that he was going to be wed. I had never in my life, fallen so hard in love with someone, especially a vampire. I thought there could have been something with Li because we were similar. We came from the same world, whereas the master was a vampire.

“What happened, River?” he asked quietly, not moving from his spot at the door. I could not bring myself to face him so I closed my eyes and breathed deeply through my nose to calm my ragged nerves.

“I have no idea, I just…” I trailed off with a sigh and waved my hand dismissively. “It does not matter, Master Leon. I will be fine with a good rest.”

It was silent for a moment and I slowly opened my eyes to see that he had gone. I felt a sinking feeling, a weight on my chest and I fought to keep from crying. I wish I knew why it bothered me so much that Leon was about get married. I shifted onto my side and gazed out the window, watching the colors changing the sky as dawn broke on the horizon.

My peace was disturbed when Ariana blew into the room excitedly, followed by Devin who looked rather pleased with himself. Talking loud and fast, Ariana explained that the master had sent everyone home and was waiting in the parlor by the Big Tree for everyone and that included Alex and I as well. I thought about May and Jack and sighed heavily with a frown.

“What’s wrong?” Devin asked with worry as he walked over and sat down at the edge of the bed, watching me. I looked to him with a reassuring smile, though I truly did not feel like smiling at all. I felt so sad and lost; I had not felt this way before over a man which happened to be a vampire as well. I remained silent and heard Devin sigh. I felt a comforting hand upon my hair and I felt ready to fall apart. It took all my strength to keep the tears from leaving my eyes.

“There is nothing wrong.”

I did not feel like speaking anymore. I felt awkward in human form in this moment and I wanted nothing more than to be able to be the demon I was. I climbed out of bed without a word while Devin watched and focused on the change. I felt the bones shifting and adapting to my new shape. When I finished, it was disheartening to find that I was large and not the little feline I had once been. I thought back to my ancestors and found my answer. All young demons change and grow when they reached adulthood. This brought some unexpected news and I felt utterly sad and dismayed.

That night, during the Christmas ball and the announcement of the master’s betrothal…it had been my birthday.

I had never felt so utterly alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay, more than one update today!!

Like it?

Love it?

Comment about it!!

lAuRa