Status: completed :)

It Wasn't Meant to Be Like This

Easier Than I Thought

If I hadn’t mentioned it before, Zoey is a genius. She had made up a new idea on how I can progress with Beth, I almost squealed like a girl with excitement.

I faltered though, when she told me I was going on a date and it wasn’t with Beth, it was with her. I stared at her, completely confused.

“Zoey, we’re just friends?” I question, and Zoey slaps my cheek lightly, which I didn’t appreciate to be honest.

“Don’t be stupid Finn, it’s not a real date. It’s just something that will activate Beth’s jealousy.” Zoey said like it was obvious, which it was and I kicked myself for not realizing before. I nodded and smiled at Zoey, I was pleased with the plan. Zoey smirks and slaps my arm lightly, I wanted to ask her if she should see someone. She always hits me.

“Now go look decent, I need to keep up my reputation Finn” Zoey teases but I still felt the need to impress her. Within a record time, I showered and threw on some nice clothes. My fashion had improved since Beth had arrived. Jack and Beth were having the night in, and I couldn’t wait to rub in the fact that I had a date, even if it was with Zoey.

You’re probably wondering about Maggie, she’s still around. She’s temporarily living with us until she can sort out things with her Mom in Carolina, which is where Maggie is apparently from. Her accent had faded, sadly.

“Well, Finn and I going out on a date now” Zoey bluntly announced as I walked into the room just finished getting ready. I looked at Zoey, she had a fairly short dress on but she looked lovely. Her long legs trailed upwards and I found myself a second longer than necessary.

“Hey, prick what’s going between you two?” Jack asks, smirking as Beth stares at me blankly, I looked back, trying to understand what she was trying to glare into me.

“Nothing, we’re just going out for dinner that’s all. Finn asked me out earlier” Zoey says confidently and I couldn’t help grin, knowing it was a complete lie but Jack thought I did and apparently so did Beth, who looked suddenly angry.

“As in a date? You’re going on a date?” Beth repeat slowly, I smiled secretly, she sounded annoyed and it pleased me. It made me smile, knowing that Zoey’s master plan was working brilliantly.

“Yep, so don’t wait up” I find myself saying and Jack’s smirk widened and it winked at me when Zoey was checking that she had her purse.

“Use protection!” he calls after us, then I heard a light smack. “Don’t encourage them” warns Beth and I find myself chuckling as I left the door. God Zoey, you’re a freaking genius.

--

“You’re kidding right? You didn’t really do that!” Zoey exclaims as I retold the story of when April was 10 years old, and she became enemies with this guy. The guy made her cry by throwing sand all over her hair…I went to school and I was 17 and a bit of a hard ass, I threatened the guy that if he ever harmed or touched my sister again, he’d wake up without any male genitalia. The guy wet himself and ran away.

“Hell yes I did. No one messes with my sister” I say seriously. Zoey smiles at amused and I grin, feeling relaxed for the first time in a long time.

“You really love her don’t you?” Zoey says, sipping the rose wine she ordered about half hour ago. We were in an Italian place, it smelled great and we had already shared some Italian starters, I forget what they were called but they tasted delicious. I was genuinely having a good time, granted I wish it was Beth but I liked that I was here, having a good time with a now very good friend who was helping me pursue my best friend’s girlfriend.

“Yeah, I mean she’s my sister. I love her all the time but ever since-” I faltered thinking about my Dad, about what he had said that day. I never forgot his words.

“Hard to talk about?” Zoey guesses and I nod feebly, my mood spiralling down. Zoey notices and places her hand over mine across the table, squeezing it with comfort.

“You know if you want to talk I’m here for you Finn. I consider you a great friend now, and I’m glad I met you. Beth’s stupid not to see she loves you” Zoey says softly and I feel my hear swelling with warmth.

“Thanks Zoey, you’re a great person you know…” I say and Zoey smiles, and I was about to speak again when the waiter interrupted, flirting with Zoey while we ordered. After he finally left. I decided to tell her.

“My Dad died when I was 16, he made me promise to look after my Mom and April…so ever since then I’m afraid that any little thing could hurt them, especially April. It’s why I’m so overprotective, that and I hate the thought of a guy touching my sister” I say, laughing slightly at the end. Zoey giggles.

“You’re sweet Finn. You truly do mean the right intention” she says and I smile, feeling warm inside.

“What about you then Zoey? Any lucky guys for you?” I ask, sipping my beer carefully so not to look like a pig. Zoey blushes and I knew something was going on.

“Do tell…”I try and persuade and Zoey smiles slightly, she was beautiful and a funny, kind girl. Who guy wouldn’t want her? Except me, I want Beth.

“He lives in New York, he’s 25 and he’s a dance teaching assistant. He’s really cute and makes me laugh and we’re kind of casually dating” Zoey admits and I find myself feeling really happy for her.

“That’s great! Wait, is come guy going to come and hunt me down because-” I say suddenly having horrible thoughts of this guy pirouetting into my eye. Hum, I make myself amused.

“No, he knows that I’m helping you out. But don’t tell Beth, she doesn’t know everything yet. She just knows I met this guy and I don’t want her to think I haven’t told her on purpose” Zoey explains and I relax instantly.

“I won’t” I vow, and smile grimly as the waiter serves us.

“Hey I was wondering if-” the waiter guy was about to ask her out.

“Dude, this is my date, you hit on her one more time and I swear to fucking god I’ll punch you so hard, you’d wish you never met me. Okay?” I say, anger seeping through my words. The guy stared at me, terrified and eventually scurried off. Zoey chuckles and begins eating.

“Somebody’s angry” she mumbles and I couldn’t help but join in with her laughter. I begin eating and I stopped and looked at Zoey, as she daintily ate.

“’Do you think that Beth will fall in love with me?” I ask hopefully. Zoey smiles softly, nodding.

“Finn, she’d be stupid not to.” Zoey says and I feel better suddenly, the night continued without any interruptions from waiter man and I was glad to say, I really did enjoy myself.

--

“Well, thanks for tonight. I had a nice time” Zoey says, it was almost midnight. We had been to a late night movie and had come home. Beth and Jack no where to be seen, which worried me slightly. I leaned over and kissed Zoey’s cheek, and she made her way to my room.

Zoey and Maggie were sharing my room, after the other night I made sure that Maggie slept in a proper bed and Zoey should share too, resulting in me, the Mr. Nice Guy, on the lumpy couch. I started undressing and got under the covers, switching off the lamp and staring at the ceiling wondering what I should do next to make Beth fall in love with me. I was contemplating between serenading to her and begging…when I drifted off to sleep.

I was being shook away only what felt like minutes later, but when I finally woke up seeing the time to read 3.01am, I knew I wasn’t being told to wake up for breakfast.

When I rubbed my eyes, now they were no longer blurry I saw Beth’s face hovering near me.
“Beth?” I ask sleepily, feeling my eyes droop.

“Finn! Finn, I need to talk to you!” she talks, hushed tone and sounded like she had been awake for hours. I wanted to tell her to do one and roll back over and continue my pointless dreams, but it was Beth and I’d never do that to her.

“What right now?” I ask, yawning. I loved her and all, but seriously she needed to talk right now, right this second?

“What’s wrong Beth?” I mumble, rubbing my eyes. Beth was biting her thumbnail, I could see her in the dark, she was too hard to miss.

“I need to talk to you!” Beth whispers loudly. I sit up abruptly and pat the side beside me.
“Sit down” I urge and she does.

“What’s up?” I ask, trying not to slump over and fall asleep again. I suddenly felt a cold hand on my bare knee sending shivers up my spine.

“Finn, you don’t like, as in like, like Zoey do you?” she blurts out quietly and I stare in shock as Beth looks genuinely upset. I felt bad instantly.

“What you talking about?” I ask, my brain not majoring to understand her words at this ridiculous time in the morning.

“Are you falling for Zoey? Yes Or No?” Beth demands quietly, staring at me hard. I almost grimaced under her stare.

“No Beth, I’m not” I say truthfully and I hear a faint sigh of what seems relief. I glanced at Beth, searching her as her face relaxed.

“Why you so bothered?” I find myself asking her. Beth shifted uncomfortably, untill she finally spoke again.

“Because, I like you Finn okay?” she says, as if it was an annoyance to her but I didn’t care. I didn’t give one flying fuck. SHE LIKED ME.

YES ME. ELIZABETH LIKED ME.

I felt like dancing, screaming, laughing, crying with joy. I felt like spinning her around and kissing those perfect lips. Instead, being the nonchalant, cool kid I am. I asked her what she meant.

“I’m not following…we’re friends” I state, I knew what she meant I just wanted her to say those joyful words, so I can be thrilled all over again.

“I’m falling for you Finn and I know I shouldn’t be because you’re my boyfriend’s best friend but I’m starting to like you more than I should and I like it” Beth says all at once.

I smiled. I simply smiled, and I couldn’t stop smiling.

“Finn, say something” Beth pleads and I didn’t say anything, I didn’t say one word because I was still smiling, I wanted to bask in my glory, in my love for her. I wanted to just remember this.

Fuck it, enough remembering.

I kissed her, to show how I felt, this was my “Saying something”. I waited, and she finally kissed back, her hands running through my hair and I smiled into the kiss.

“I like you too Beth, a lot more than I should” I whispered in the dark, our foreheads touching. Beth smiled at me, her breathing shallow. She tasted like mint, I liked that.

“We can’t tell Jack” Beth whispers, I nod trying to understand what she meant.

“Not yet, we wait okay? You’ll wait?” Beth asks frantically, holding my face in her cold, soft hands.

“Course I will” I murmur, kissing her lips again. She responded again and I loved it, I loved how she was hesitating anymore, she didn’t deny it and she didn’t feel the need to bitch me out after. She liked it, she participated in it too.

“What the hell you doing to me Finn Donnell?” Beth whispers in my ear, and I kiss her cheek, trailing all down her neck, feeling her shiver under them made me smile against her skin.

“That question should be for you.” I say honestly. We could hear each other’s breathing, my heart was racing with excitement. I clutched her hand, linking our fingers together and I refused to ever let go. Beth was mine, she was mine and I didn’t even have to fight that much for her. It was miracle.

“I was jealous” Beth suddenly says. I look at her, searching for more details.

“Of what Beth?” I whisper.

“Zoey. I couldn’t stop thinking about it, then that night in London and it all clicked that I liked you and I couldn’t help it and I had to tell you, I couldn’t sleep. I needed to talk to you and I’m sorry for-” Beth was rambling again, I cut her off again with another soft, gentle kiss.

“I don’t care, just as long as your feelings are mutual?” I ask and Beth nods eagerly.

“They are, but I have to work it out with Jack, I have to end it and…I don’t know. Look, we can’t officially be together until I’ve broken up with Jack, then we have to wait for time-”

“As long as you don’t take too long, I’ll wait” I reassure her. Beth sighs, relieved.

“I promise, I’ll end it and we can be together…” Beth insists.

I smiled, I felt so complete, so fulfilled. Beth squeezed my hand and I squeezed it back.

We were in it now. It was done, there was no going back and I for one, was not letting her go back. Elizabeth was mine now, she was going to be and Jack could cry all her wants. Simple fact is, I will have the most beautiful, amazing girlfriend.

And the best part of it?

She’ll love me too.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry this took so long, I've just finished all my mock exams so I'm pretty pleased. I hope this isn't rushing anything because it kinda of ruins things. They're not together officially, but it's definitely the start to something....Comments? <3

Subcribe?
Thanks to all <3 <3