Status: Completed :-)

The Departing

Part I - The Life

My feet go numb as I begin to lose my sense of direction. The sound of the snapping of twigs and chirping insects deserts my company, and I am left alone in the silence with nothing but my pulsating blood thumping in my ears, and the darkness that gets darker with each breath I take.

Every second that passes steals my life away with it, and within minutes I come to the realization that I am close to death. The spirit I keep reserved in my heart for emergencies was quickly depleting and I started to forget where I was. Who am I? What is happening to me? I began to hallucinate.

I was on top of a high building in the city, arms spread wide, as if to absorb the warm humid air and dense environment that surrounded me. The fog was dense and glimmering, like someone has tossed up an open bag of glitter and suspended its’ contents in midair. The glitter looked to be stuck in the fog. Below me, the sounds of the city streets were muffled by distance, providing a tranquil soundtrack for my dreams.

Out of the mist arose a dark figure that looked to be no more than twelve inches tall. I peered down at it with curiosity as the shadow-like creature approached me. As it materialized, I made the figure out to be a midnight-blue domestic cat with eyes like emeralds. The creature was allusive, and its’ movements were smooth, like pearls on satin sheets.

Her tail twitched and swayed in the fog, and I watched it, endearingly. She narrowed her glance and then mewed in her small cat voice, like silver bells, as if she were trying to inform me of her presence. “I’m well aware”, the voice in my head says.

She cocks her head to the side and approaches me cautiously. After a good minute of sniffing my feet and observing me, she rubbed her contoured body against my leg and purred. When the rubbing ceased, she slowly walked in circles around me, like a shark circling its’ prey, and then walked off, looking back every-so-often to make sure I was following her.

I was.

Her pace hastened into a sprint as I tried to chase after her, but I couldn’t keep up. As I ran, the fog got thicker and thicker until I could no longer see my own hand six inches in front of my face. I fell to my knees, defeated, and let the fog consume me.