Sequel: My Little Raspberry

My Little Cheesecake

18 ; -

”Are you gonna keep me waiting for long?” Gwen said as she tilted her head to one side to watch Brendon study the many different offerings of coffee, tea and soda.

“Keep you waiting for what? You can order if you want to.” His eyes wouldn’t leave the paper.

“You said you were going to tell me something when we got here, remember?”

“Oh, yeah, right, I’m getting there.”

“I’m sure you are. Have you decided what you want?”

“Just get me a soda, wait, here’s the mon-.” She raised her hand to stop him from giving her the coins.

“Don’t bother.” She went over to the desk, knowing how confused he looked like after she had ditched his money like that.

“Hi Gwen, what can I get you?” the woman behind the desk asked. She was pretty petite, but she had a face that could make anyone ask themselves why she was working in a café like this and not for a model agency.

“Brendon wanted a soda, and I think I’m in the mood for a cup of tea.” He woman tilted her head, just like Gwen had done before.

“Are we feeling serious today?”

“You have no idea, I think I’m about to get a slap in the face any minute now.”

“You’ll have the tea in that minute.”

“Thanks Liza, here’s the money. Brendon thinks I’m pissed at him because I wouldn’t let him pay for himself.” Liza laughed and took Gwen’s bill and gave her the change back. When Gwen sat down opposite Brendon again he still looked confused.

“Have I done something wrong?” he asked. He had that look upon his face that made it difficult to tell if he was about to cry or not.

“You tell me, have you?”

“I don’t think it’s classified as ‘wrong’.”

“Will you just spit it out?”

“Alright, I’ve-.” He got interrupted by Liza putting down their orders on the table, which made him lose his focus for a second. “What I was about to tell you was… I’ve met someone.”

She was about to take the first sip of the tea but immediately stopped and stared at him for a few seconds. Her expression quickly turned into a smile.

“Woah, for real? Are you serious?”

“Man, I thought you were gonna be angry or something, at least upset.”

“Why would I be upset when I can be happy for your sake?”

“I guess you’re right, I don’t know why I thought that.”

“Who’s the lucky gal?”

“I don’t know about the lucky-part, but she’s just this girl I’ve been seeing now and then, but I don’t think you know her, even if I tried to explain it to you.”

“Tell me her name at least?”

“Brittany. I don’t know, it just feels like this could go somewhere, y’know what I’m saying?”

“Oh yeah, I most definitely do. But Brendon, I am happy for you, and don’t think anything else, alright?”

“Thanks, it would’ve felt so weird I didn’t have your blessing, y’know.”

“Why is it so important?”

“Because you’re like my other half, duh, what else?”

“Who knows, this girl might become your new other half in no time at all.” Brendon laughed at her words that might have included some kind of threat. He shook his head in disbelief. She excused herself to go to the bathroom really quick. She locked the door after her and leaned her bodyweight at the washbowl, checking if she could breathe or not.

“This ain’t happening. No, correction; you knew this would happen some time or another, and you also knew that there was no way for you to stop it.”

Yes, it was weird talking to her in the mirror, but who haven’t done that one time or another in their lives?

The truth was that she really was truly happy for her boy’s sake, because if she knew that that girl was bad for him, he would’ve known about it. But sadly, as he words had left his mouth, she was crushed inside by some small devil that knew how it would hit her the most. She only saw one way out of this way she was feeling. She dialed a number on her cell phone that she had memorized and begged that the person would pick up quickly.

“Betty, I think I’m in need of that ice cream as it looks like right now.”