Sequel: My Little Raspberry

My Little Cheesecake

22 ; -

Everything was set, ready, done. Gwen didn’t dare to count all of the kisses her mother had given her on the cheeks as goodbye, but she knew that they were many. She had felt such a relief when she had started the engine to car for the first time on their trip. They were gonna leave Summerlin, leave everything behind, just for a couple of weeks, and God did it feel good.

“And remember to give me a call now and then so I know that you’re alright, both of you.”

Gwen nodded and smiled, loading the last bag filled with necessary stuff into the trunk. Her mother had forced George to stand there beside her, to say some sort of goodbye. Gwen knew he only wanted to get back to his computer.

“Alright, I’m off to get little Sammy-girl. You’re sure you’re gonna behave these weeks, Georgie?”

“I behave if I hear that you behave.”

“Touché. Say hi to Juliet from me, I think I like her.”

“Okidoki. May I be excused now?”

Their mother sighed and pushed away her son to embrace her daughter, before the brown-haired girl got in the driver’s seat. She felt the steering wheel under her fingers and saw her mother wave one last time before she was off to Sammy’s block.

She could spot her friend’s hair from miles away. Alright, maybe not, but she had definitely changed something with it. Her former red color had been washed out, so it seemed to be the right time for a change. Sammy clapped her hands when Gwen pulled in beside her.

“We’re so fucking ready to get going.”

“’We’? When did you turn into a ’we’?” Gwen asked, looking over the rim of her sunglasses.

“We do believe we have been it for a while, you’ve just missed it.”

“I imagined. Put your bag in the back, I’ve already put your other stuff in the trunk.”

“Awesome,” she said and did what Gwen had told her too, and later got in the passenger seat. Once again she clapped her hands.

“Can you believe it? After months of preparation, we’re finally ready go get on the road to California!”

“I’m just being curious, but am I a part of that ‘we’, or are you talking to yourself?”

“Y’know that is a tuff question. I will get back to you in 20 miles or something about that.”

Gwen rolled her eyes and started the engine once again to drive off from Sammy’s driveway. The clock hadn’t even passed nine in the morning yet, so it was no surprise that the street was empty this lazy summer’s day. They both were in the perfect mood for this kind of day. Sammy put on her big sunshades and rested her legs on the dashboard easily. While listening to one of Sammy’s Something Corporate CD’s, Gwen felt her phone vibrating in her pocket.

“Vrrroom,” she said, ignoring the fact that it might have been awkward for some people to get that kind of answer.

“My little baby,” Betty yelled on the other end, “we are ya at?”

“Y’know what, we’re passing through your block as we speak. What a coincidence.”

“Fuck no, stop, and back up a few metres.”

Gwen raised her eyebrow and did as Betty had said, getting questioning looks from Sammy.

“Look right,” Betty said and then hung up. Gwen looked even more confused and looked to the right over her sunglasses rims. What she saw was Betty standing on the pavement, bag on the ground, resting her foot on something that looked like a skateboard. It was a pretty cool sight, if Gwen had to be honest.

“You thought you could leave without me?” Betty shrieked and pressed the skateboard up to her hand with her foot.

“Betty, you don’t skate,” Gwen said, tilting her head against the steering wheel.

“I know, but wouldn’t this be a great opportunity for us to teach ourselves?”

“Fucking brilliant!” Sammy said, getting out of the car to snatch the skateboard out of Betty’s hands. Gwen was a little worried that the girl would fall on her attempt of standing on the board, but Sammy managed to stay steady. “I’ve got killer-skills.”

“Hold on, Betts, you know I love you, but you just thought that you could join at the last minute?”

“Pretty much,” Betty said and snatched her shoulder before picking her bag up from the ground.

“When I think about it, Gwen, it could be useful to have someone with us that can actually talk us to sleep every night; you know what I’m saying?”

“Yes, you will have the privilege to use me that way, and any other way you can think of.”

“Hey, I’m not the bitch of th-,” Gwen started, but was cut off by Sammy.

“Yes, you are.”

“I will have to concur.”

“Fuck you! Alright, get in the bloody car.”

“Oh Gwenny-girl,” Betty said after she had loaded her bag in the almost full trunk, trying to put on a seducing sound. Gwen looked back at her dark haired friend who now sat in the backseat, and grasped when she saw her waving a Pixies album in front of her face.

“How did you know that I would forget?”

“Give it a break, I know you.”

“You know what I’m thinking right now, right?”

Betty just nodded at her. Sammy, who had the skateboard in her arms in the passenger seat beside Gwen, looked from Betty to Gwen, and from Gwen to Betty.

“What are y’all talking about?”

Gwen put the CD in the CD-player, picked track number 21, and pressed play. The drums in Pixies ‘I’ve been tired’ started. Gwen started the engine for the third time this morning, and knew that with two of her best friends on the road, everything was gonna be fine. Or at least she hoped.