Sequel: My Little Raspberry

My Little Cheesecake

7 ; -

“Totally fucking awesome!” Brendon said, pushed the glasses to the tip of his nose, and regarded the new surround-sound Gwen’s dad had purchased a few weeks earlier.

“I didn’t think you swore,” Gwen said, slightly surprised by the language of her friend.

“It’s a change I’ve made since, like, last week.”

“I don’t think I like all the changes you’ve made lately…”

“You’ve got to be kidding me?”

“Of course I am. Your task is to make popcorn, like, now.”

Gwen knew Brendon was familiar with her kitchen, so she was confident to let him go entirely. It was easy to figure out if anyone was home in Gwen’s house. She peeked into her younger brother’s room; no one sitting by the computer there. Her father’s room looked empty too. Everything was clear. She went over to her own room and sighed when she’d opened the door. It was too messy in there for her own good, almost unhealthy.

“I’ve seen worse,” Brendon said, peeking over her shoulder. She leaped, terrified of his sudden presence.

“Stop doing that,” she said, grasping for air.

“What? Taking your breath away? I don’t think that’s possible, I mean, who could resist this pair of glasses on the tip of this nose, just not possible.” He gave her the expression that just shrieked Brendon Urie all over. It would melt her heart every time, she just hadn’t told him yet. She figured if was normal to be a little bit in love with your best friend at times, so of course she wouldn’t take it seriously. She slapped him playfully over the cheek and went downstairs to the living room to decide the movie they would watch.

“I’m so up for Cinderella!” Brendon said.

“I don’t have that one.”

“Well, then I probably could manage it with Beauty and the Beast.”

“I don’t have that one either.”

“You’re totally ruining my mood for Disney-movies.”

“I borrowed Pocahontas, oh, oh, oh, and Sleeping Beauty.”

“I can hear what you’re going for in your voice. Three fairies will do for me, but next time I want the godmother fairy.”

“Fine,” Gwen said and put the tape in the VHS-player, only to get interrupted from pressing play by her cell phone ringing, “yo.”

“What’s up, biatch?” Gwen recognized the voice of Betty even before she had said the second word.

“Oh, I’m just putting Sleeping Beauty in the player. Brendon and I are having a little movie-night.”

“Tonight? On a weekday?”

“Mhm, I just suggested an evening. He will take the blame for the consequences. But what are you up to tonight?”

“Here’s the thing. I was thinking of maybe drop by later tonight, ‘cause I have to return some of your stuff. Is that alright?”

“Hold on just a second. Hey Brendon, is it alright if Betty comes over later?”

“Why wouldn’t it be? She knows she’s my favourite bassist in the whole world.”

“Awesome. Betty, just roll by whenever you feel like it, alright?”

“Love you, honeypie.”

“Love you too, kisses.” She hung up and turned to Brendon. “You don’t like the bassist in your band or what?”

“Y’know, he’s alright, I suppose.”

“But if you wanna get somewhere with your band you should have a great trust to each other.”

“Why are you trying to tell me how to handle my own band?”

“I just wanted to share my opinion. Sorry for that.” The tension, it was everywhere. Gwen felt it. Brendon felt it. The neighbours might have felt it too. She sat down beside him with her arms crossed over her chest.

“So, do you want popcorn?” Brendon asked. Gwen just nodded and pressed play on the remote. As they got into the movie, the tension disappeared slowly. They ended up like they always would; spooning, just because it was always the cosiest alternative. Gwen always got emotional from those kinds of movies, just because they were so romantic and fairytale-ish. Brendon always laughed at that in the end.

Around 10 PM Betty showed up at the front door and invited herself to go inside. On her shoulder she had a case for an acoustic guitar, which she put down beside the armchair she sat down in herself later.

“Yo, bitches, I’m in the building. There's your pap's guitar.”

“Betty, you’re not black, sweetheart.”

“Don’t crush my fucking dream. What if I wanna be like Whoopi?”

Gwen snatched her shoulders and closed her eyed, perfectly comfortable in Brendon’s arms. She knew she could fall asleep right there, but would probably be woken up in some cruel way immediately. She could almost feel that Brendon had an awful grin on his face.

“I was thinking of… a horror next.”