Status: The more comments, the better chance of an update ^_^

The Seven Deadly Sins

A True Knight in Shining Armor

"What a beautiful painting," I murmured for possibly the tenth time as I made my way through the stone lined halls. They were lit with an unfamiliar sun that streamed through the thick glass windows, it should have been a refreshing sight but it did nothing for my clouded mind. I brushed a gloved hand absently though my glossy black hair, my mind wondering as my feet did through the castle. My dress made soft sighing sounds as the silk brushed against the cold ground, it was one of the very few times I had decided to wear white. Maybe it was because I felt I had committed so many impurities in the past few days that I needed something pure to detox my senses even slightly.

It was a rather simple three quartered sleeve gown, made if the purest of whites decorated with dark blue and green paisley designs. The neckline was a square cut neckline with creme colored fringe that was a tad low cut for a day event such as this but the virtuous color of the gown made up for it. The skirts were bustled in the back with lace panels of a softer white swirling in and out of the skirts as I moved. I clutched a matching parasol in my arms, knowing that I would need it in order to maintain the porcelain complexion I had fought so hard to attain. I knew I would be more elegantly dressed than most other women dreamed they would be but I did not feel the usual power that my clothing usually gave me. I felt quite numb in fact, a feeling I had rarely come to encounter.

Today was the annual jousting event, in other words an event where men of any noble stature could compete against each other in acts of savage violence. It was also an event where women could watch it without being scolded for indecency as we so often were. The option to do so was a nice bout of freedom for us but I did not really appreciate the barbarian acts that took place, unfortunetaly blood was something that made me rather queasy.

"Miss Elizabeth!" I looked up in surprise to realize I had already made it to the main hall where all the Ladies in Waiting were gathered. The Lady in Waiting who called my name smiled broudly at me while curtsying along with the rest of the Ladies, recognizing my higher rank in court. The woman who called my name was wearing a soft yellow gown that was covered with dark green flower patterns, the bodice that wrapped around her overly thin frame was encrusted with amber beads to make the woman appear like an overgrown sunflower. The gown was so overwhelming that I ended up studying it before I studied the Lady wearing it. She was pretty I suppose in an odd way, her dainty features were quite balanced though her eyes were a tad larger than the average person would consider pretty. They were deep shade of hazel, the curiousity was palpable as they peered out at me from behind dirty blonde curls.

"I am Lady Elaina," She curtsied quickly with a broad smile and I returned the gesture a bit more gracefully, "I did not get a chance to formally make your aquaintence at the ball but I must say it is lovely to finally meet you!"

"It is lovely to meet you as well," I smiled politely at her, pushing back my prior exhaustion in hopes that I would appear elegant. Ever since that damned ball a few days ago, I had become more of a nocturnal creature than I ever cared to become. I would never be able to fall any deeper asleep than a light daze for Ivan's devilish face would float into my mind, blowing fire into my senses as his husky voice whispered, "I shall be seeing you soon."

I jumped slightly when I realized that Lady Elaina was still speaking, "....The jousting event should be most wonderful!"

I nodded and pretended that I was paying rapt attention to our rather numbing conversation, "Do you know when we shall be making our way down to the fair grounds?"

With her smile still fixed in a place where I figured would be quite painful after a while, she spoke in a cheerful tone, "Oh yes, I believe we are to be going down in a few moments!"

The other ladies suddenly broke out into titters at Elaina's words and without another signal, began clustering towards the large stone doors. I followed without another word, hoping to blend into the crowd and avoid their ridiculous chatter. But Lady Elaina would not have that, she kept on with pointless chatter all the way through the halls, out the stonedoors and into the bleary sunlight. I opened my lacy parasol and held it aloft over my shoulder, sheilding me from the sunlight but unfortunately not these pesky Ladies. They were all smiles and cheer now, but I knew I would find a mysteriously stained chemise or torn gown skirt. Betrayal was the basis of all things, it was how all courts operated.

The breeze was cold when it brushed my bare skin, raising goosebumps and giving me enough chill to send a light shiver through my body. Maybe I should have worn a warmer gown to these events, it seemed that September's supposed spring like weather was fading far faster than it did in France.

"Elizabeth, there you are!" My attention snapped back into focus when I looked up to see my mother hurrying towards me, looking quite festive in a gown of vivid greens and ivies. A tired gentleman who seemed at least ten years younger than her hung on her arm as she came towards me. With a start, I realized that it was her fiancee and my soon to be step father Duke Brackingforth. He was relatively handsome I suppose, his dark hair was slicked back to reveal a proud forehead and deep set hazel eyes. But the dark circles hallowing out the skin under his eyes aged him greatly, making him look closer to my mother's age. His skin was almost sickly looking with how pale he was, combining with his tall and lanky figure made him appear quite....strange.

I moved out of the group of Ladies, feeling quite resigned at the idea of dealing with my mother so early. I lifted my skirts up slightly as the dewy grass began to brush my gown, staining the crisp white a darker cream. I cleared my expression of these thoughts, arranging a slight smile on my natural down turning lips. I felt a small warmth building on my face as the sun began to kiss my cheeks and pulled the parasol up a littler more to block out the sun's rays. As much as I enjoyed the warmth, I had to reject it for I burned quite red when I was too exposed to the sun, something I had to be constantly aware of.

I looked up from the ground to meet my mother's sharp blue gaze, she would look warm to the outside eyes but I could easily see the frustration bubbling within her. She paused before me, smiling (or more like scowling) at me while her fiancee almost leaned on her arm.

"Good morning mother," I offered, trying to keep focused as the automatic urge to grimace washed through me, "You look lovely."

"Thank you Elizabeth," She replied brosquely, the compliment having little to none effect on her. She gestured to the lanky man beside her, "Elizabeth, I'd like you to meet my new husband and your stepfather Duke Charles Brackingforth."

It took me a moment to react curteously, the words 'stepfather' echoed nauseatingly in my mind. I did my best to smile at the man before me, "It is lovely to meet you my Lord."

I swept into a curtsy, careful to keep my chest concaved so my mother would not think I was trying to make myself appear desirable to him. As I bent my knees, I took in his dark clothing. It seemed quite well made, though rather somber for such a tournament. I breifly wondered how this man would afford such clothing yet my mother was still pushing for Rosalie and I's marriages so young.

"It is wonderful to finally meet my new daughter," He smiled half heartedly at me as I straightened up. He looked down at me with warm eyes atop his crooked nose, "I have heard many good words about you Miss Elizabeth."

Resenting the act of curtesy I was obliged to do, I said, "Please my Lord, call me Elizabeth, we are kin now and there is no need for such formalities."

My mother was aware of my sourness, however hard I tried to hide it, she was somehow aware. Her delicate features crinkled slightly in disapproval, her mouth firming to create a thin line. However the Duke seemed blissfully unaware, "You shall have to find a time to visit your mother and I in chateu, I look forward to getting to know you better Elizabeth," He said in a way that was purely innocent, making no inuendos of any sorts. His dark eyes glaced at the slowly crowding track behind us, "From what I've heard, it seems that the King has taken a great liking to you as well."

Heat filled my cheeks, "I should hope that this is the case, I would like to keep in good favor with Their Majesties."

I put an emphasis on the word Their, in a vain hope to keep myself appearing clean. Fear sprouted through my system at the thought of someone having found out that Ivan and I had something more going on. God knows what would happen if someone found out that we had kissed. A private affair with another Lord of equal or lesser stature was not a terrible misdemeanor as long as those involved kept it mostly underwraps, then it became quite common. But an affair with a Duchess or a prince, let alone a King, anyone of distinct nobility would be considered the upitimity of scandalous doings. It would be extremely detrimental for someone to discover, in the best of cases, I would only be ostracized from court and eventually exiled. Though if Charles had managed to figure it out, it could be even more dangerous for a guardian would most likely attempt to use it for their own fianancial gain.

Charles gave a harsh laugh, "I say His Majesty for a reason Elizabeth, it is impossible for anyone to keep in favor with Queen Jayna. There is always something or someone she wishes to complain about."

"Charles!" My mother admonished, her blue eyes widening at his casual mention of the Queen's pessimissism. I, however, found it quite amusing for a small smirk peeled across my face.

"It is true," Charles gave my mother a nonchalant shrug, "King Ivan is far more charismatic than his wife, though he is quite hard to gain favor with as well," The Duke gave me a small smile, "Though I doubt Elizabeth will have much trouble, His Majesty has a certain weakness for beautiful women."

I smiled, his use of flattery working over me, "Thank you, my Lord."

He waved off my words, "Call me Charles and thank not me for those words are fact," He glanced at my mother who was scanning the crowd, "Though you should probably be focusing more on young Ruben."

My mother's bright blue eyes snapped bak to me with a new awareness at the mention of him, "It is shocking that he still wishes to marry you after that inccident during the feast, his father spoke with me privately this morning about the matter and it has become official."

My heart froze, my breathing stopped, the frivilous atmosphere around me seemed to still. I was....engaged? To that mongrel? A cold sweat broke out on my skin, "I am engaged?"

"That is what I said," My mother spoke impatiently, had someone thrown a bucket of freezing water over my head? "He is competing in the jousting tournament today, if he asks you for your favor then you must give it to him," My mother's voice was sharp, trying to break the daze I was so obviously in. I couldn't get married, I wasn't even eighteen for God's sake! Which wasn't saying much actually, considering most were married at the mere age of fourteen but still.....I couldn't even fathom the idea of being in a proper courtship.

"Elizabeth, pull yourself together," My mother whispered harshly, she could see my world crumbling apart as pathetic as it sounded, "I know this is unexpected, but it is for the best."

I managed a nod even though inwardly, I was twisting in pain. I couldn't get married, it was impossible, unimagineable, I would never be able to lay in bed with another man against my will. Especially one who considered me so less than respect as Ruben did.

I could barely feel my mother guiding me down to the tournament while Charles kept a respectable silence. I did not know how I managed to walk let alone keep a serene expression as propriety demanded of me. My entire body felt like ice, stiff and almost completely numb with shock rippling through me.

My mother was selling me as quickly as she could to the first possible vendor. I would have no say, I would have no way of getting out of it....

Unless I managed to break it....

Already I was turning into Rosalie, trying to chase away the suitors while attempting to pursure the men we knew we could not have. I knew that my mother was doing only what she thought was best for us, she was trying to ensure fianancial and social security for both us and herself. But she was sacrificing our personal happiness and mental security in the process of things....though I doubted that mattered much as long as we could create an heir.

The stands were crowded with people, some dressed in more winter appropiate clothing while most still donned their summery frocks. I seperated myself from my mother and Charles, not bothering to give much of a goodbye as ice still held its sway over me. I made my way towards the other Ladies in Waiting, most of whom were simpering over Ivan and Jayna who sat in the center of it. I was to sit in a chair quite close to there's, for my position as a Duchess have me an upper edge over the other Ladies. Usually this would have pleased me, but for the present moment, it was nothing more than a nuisance.

I walked before Ivan and Jayna's thrones, both of whom were clad in lovely shades of blues and grays. I avoided Ivan's piercing gaze as I swept into a low curtsy before them, trying to keep myself calm. I barely recognized the burning sensation whenever I was near Ivan, I was far too distracted to really notice much of anything happening around me.

"Lady Elizabeth, are you alright?" Ivan asked quietly, I rose out of my curtsy and smiled as best as I could, the motion feeling strange on my face.

"I am fine Your Majesty, it is only a bout of traveler's sickness," My voice sounded a bit robotic as my answer's essence truly was. I avoided Ivan's gaze as I rose out of my curtsy despite the fact that he was still trying fruitlessly to catch it. A twinge of curiousity entered my apathetic system, would he still look at me the same way even though we had kissed? Or would he now think me loose? Unable to resist the temptation, I glanced up and met his gaze for a breif moment. His gray orbs burned into mine with an intensity just as powerful as the night he kissed me. He cocked a dark eyebrow at me, silently asking me what was going on. My stomach filled with butterflies as the shiver inducing hunger filled me yet again.

"You may sit then, it shall do you good to relax and enjoy the tournament," Jayna's voice was brisk, almost irritated as many would say. A tone I wasn't sure was Jayna's natural voice or an actual reprimend. Slightly ashamed of myself for looking at my married king so openly, I managed a small smile and sat down in the guilded chair beside hers. After a breif moment of silence, the fair haired woman turned to me suddenly, her pale face somewhat thoughtful for a moment, "Is it true that the cathedrals in France have golden candles upon their altars?"

After a moment of surprise, I smiled at my queen, "Some do, Queen Victoria's chapel has an entire array of golden candles and candlebras. They are crafted only for her private chapel, inscribed with different quotes of scripture from the Bible. They are extrodinarily beautiful."

"They do sound that way," A small smile flitted across her face, turning her usually scrunched expression into something more wistful. It made her appear years younger or better yet....closer to her own age. She turned to face Ivan who sat quietly, absorbing our words, "My King, is it possible that we may acquire some golden candles of our own?"

Ivan let out a low grumble, "I shall look into it," He leaned around Jayna to fix me with a dark glare, "If you plan on making my wife shop for Queen Victoria's replica collection then I shall rethink my opinion on your position in court."

"Shopping is a neccessity my Lord," I replied quickly, I did not fear his words a bit for it was obvious to me they were only in jest. I shot him my signature smile, mischevious and seductive but not overbearing, "It is something us women recquire as you men recquire swords and hunting."

"Both of which I find far more useful and rewarding," A new voice interrupted, we all looked up to see an older man, maybe in his early forties standing before us. He was a man who had obviously retained his looks despite his age. His dark slicked back hair was streaked with silver and gray, it exposed his proud forehead and deepset dark green eyes. They were covered by a heavy brow that seemed to make his gaze appearing even more intense. He had wrinkle but not many, they seemed to give his appearance more strength and wisdom rather than a detioreating body. He had an obvious strong build, muscles clearly straining against the red, black and yellow colored doublet he was wearing. The color combination seemed familiar but the reason evaded me completely. He bowed low to Ivan and Jayna, "Your Majesties, I bring my regards from King Drake," He had a strange accent, it made his voice quite husky and I daresay alluring, he turned to me with a small smile, "My Lady."

"Ambassador," Ivan smiled coldly in greeting to him, he gestured a gray glove colored hand to me, "This is Lady Elizabeth Memorium, Duchess Laurelaina's daughter."

"Ahh," The ambassador's eyes lit up suddenly and the smile on his face became far more true, "It is lovely to meet you Lady Elizabeth, I have heard much about your beauty and wit."

Slightly taken aback, I smiled as seductively at him, "You are too kind my Lord, though it is lovely to make your aquaintance."

It had the proper effect immediately, his dark eyes glazed over slightly and his voice grew even huskier then its natural tone, "I know you have just come from France, but have you any relatives in Germany?"

"It seems the tournament is about to begin," Ivan's voice was a tad indignant, the smile he gave the ambassador was more like a grimace, "You must go find your seat in order to fully enjoy the festivities."

The ambassador raised an eyebrow but smiled nonetheless at Ivan and Jayna. He gave me a sly wink before bowing and retreating back to his chair quite lower in the stands.

I bit back a smile at Ivan's obvious irritation, a meaningless flirtation had seemed to make him beyond jealous. It seemed that getting under his skin was a feat I could easily accomplish. Loud horns blew suddenly, alerting the finely dressed crowd that the tournament was going to begin. While the others chattered excitedly about the possibility of having their favor asked by one of the Lords, I held in a sigh. The white ribbon decorated with budding blue roses I fingered in my hands was not a gift I wanted to give to Ruben.

But an idea suddenly popped into my head, what if this act sparked jealously within Ivan? It would probably cause him to pursure me even more so and if I relinquinshed myself to him....there was a chance I could convince him to break the marriage for me.

My God Elizabeth, you truly are your mother's daughter.

Ivan stood up to make the opening announcement. The crowd quickly fell silent at the rising of his authoriative figure and waited excitedly for his words

"Welcome Lords and Ladies to the jousting tournament!" There was a loud cheer at this, "I hope you are all well and prepared for today's events! Ladies prepare your favors and gents prepare your speeches for they shant be won easily!" The crowd laughed at this, their reactions bending easily to his will. "Enough chatter! Let the tournament begin!"

I applauded quietly as the rest of the crowd roared rauciously at Ivan's words. When Ivan went to sit down, he shot a dark glance at me and I couldn't help but smile secretly at him. He was somewhat irritated with me for flirting with the ambassador, that much was clear to see. But he could not resist the temptation I was offering him so easily, he winked at me with a small smile on his face. I rolled my eyes instead of looking away shyly as my demurness demanded of me. I was determined to make him and all men who come to play be aware I was not one to be trifled with. I was no naive girl or outwardly loose, I was a Duchess. Though it did not have the proper effect I had planned, for Ivan sat down with a boyish grin on his face.

The tournament began with lesser men in ourt battling against each other in jousting. It was truly a harsh and quick sport, one man being tosed off his horse with one brutal blow. This seemed to resinate with the crowd, not in the way you would expect though for their screams of excitement constantly pierced the air. Even Jayna could not help herself by crying out in surprise occasionally. I could only wince at each defeat, I knew that serious and possibly fatal injuries could always follow each round.

Soon Ruben rode out into the small feild, clad in gleaming silver armor. He did the familiar route around the track, examining all the Ladies who fingered their ribbons eargerly as his chestnut stallion cantered past. I prayed that he would not stop in front of me, that he would simply pass me and ask the favor of a woman who actually wished to be married. They were not answered though, he paused in front of where I sat and I held in my disgust, pretending to appear surprised and rapt with ardent love.

"Your Majesties," He called, bowing as well as he could atop his grand beast. He pushed back his helmet and fixed me with an emotionless smile, not trying remotely hard to appear as if this engagement was true, "My Lady Elizabeth, will you honor me with your favor?"

Oh dear, he's such a romantic.

Chiding myself for sarcasm, I stood slowly and met no ones gaze, more specifically Ivan's. I moved towards Ruben, taking small delicate steps in my high heeled slippers. He dipped his lance towards me in a way that seemed more threatening than endearing, I smiled coldly at him, both of us playing the game our parents were forcing us to take part in.

"It is my honor, My Lord Ruben," I spoke in my signature voice, low and lovely with the hint of my French upbringing. I wrapped the fragile ribbon around the tip of his metal lance, ignoring the admiring sighs of the crowd and focusing my energy on Ruben receiving the most painful injury a jousting tournament could deal.

The crowd cheered when Ruben pulled his lance away, pulling down his helmet and riding towards his appointed place. I turned back to my chair after a moment, sneaking a small glance at Ivan as I went to sit down. His gray eyes were narrowed into dark slits, surprisingly confused by the events that had just taken place. Wouldn't he as King know of our engagement? No marriage would be considered legal or lawful without the King's consent. I had no chance to pres my questions in public, especially with the ever watchful and suspicious Jayna.

My prayers were not answered though, Ruben did not recieve a single injury while he competed. In fact, he won the first match along with three more unnecessary ones. His chestnut stallion tossed its head around, as arrogant and cocky as its rider. Ruben was showing off to the point where it was exceeding rudness.

Won't somebody just knock him off that damn horse? I thought miserably, watching the ribbon I had given him be brandished around carelessly.

Suddenly Ivan jumped up, shocking me out of my dull trance. He had a determined look on his face as he turned to Jayna, "My Queen," He bowed slightly, "If you will excuse me."

Within moments, he was suited up within the most intricate, silver armor I had ever seen. My breath caught in my throat as he rode in on a dark, chocolate colored stallion. He was absolutely glorious, the true image of the King of England.

"Ruben!" Ivan called as he cantered on his horse, "Will you go for a final match?"

"Of course my King, I shall be honored," Ruben replied, his voice saturated with pride. I narrowed my eyes at him, how dare he act so blatantly arrogant to his King? Did he have no sense of respect at all?

I was not the only one paying rapt attention as Ivan and Ruben took their places. Ruben was as idiotic as ever, assuming that he would easily win a match against a King famous throughout Europe for dueling and jousting.

Ruben's horse reared in a challening movement while Ivan's remained calm and determined, knowing its glory would prevail soon. When the man raised his hand in a gesture to begin the joust, the entire crowd fell deathly silent. In one swift movement, his hand fell and the horses charged towards each other with death clear in their eyes.

"Kill him," I whispered, forgetting myself.

"What was that Miss Elizabeth?"

I stiffened and looked at Jayna, trying to figure out a proper excuse but I had no time. A shocked cry ran through the crowd and my head snapped back to the arena. I gasped as I saw a man soar off his horse and land in a heap of metal on the worn ground. I was frozen in my chair when a horse rode up to where Jayna and I sat, both of us eagerly awaiting to see who the winner was. The knight took off his helmut to reveal a dark head of chocolate brown hair. After a moment of pure shock, the crowd erupted in cheers when Ivan smiled at me. After my own state of surprise, the first real smile pearled across my face without my control. And I began clapping as hard as I could for the King of England, my true knight in shining armor.

------------------------------------