Status: ~possibly in the process of being published~

Visual Kei

Tetraphobia

As we exited the store, we ran into someone I recognized, but I couldn’t think of his name. His porcelain textured skin was pale with a slight tint the color of honey, which was all too familiar. His face was feminine with an aristocratic elegance, a silky complexion and delicate, chiseled features; all of which was emphasized by long and lustrous honey colored hair in soft ringlet curls. Rei, Shinji, and Chino swarmed him with greetings and hugs. He smiled; adjusting his sunglasses as he shyly greeted them in return.

“Man, it’s great to see you!” Rei said with a jubilant smile, brushing a lock of his chocolate-brown hair from his face. “I feel like it’s been forever.”

“It has been quite some time,” the man agreed with a gentle smile, “I nearly forgot what your face looked like without makeup, dear Rei.”

“And I nearly forgot that you were on a hiatus. Speaking of that, have you returned to the life? I haven’t heard anything new about your band, and I have to admit, I’ve been a little curious.”

I suddenly realized (, wanting to kick myself in the teeth,) that we were talking to none other than the bishounen beauty of epic proportions, Hizaki of the band Versailles.

“I have been procrastinating when it comes to getting back to producing music. I have really enjoyed my time off. I can actually devote my time to family and friends without having to adjust my sleeping schedule. It’s great. I don’t know when I’ll return to it, but I’ve just been hanging around lately. Actually, I’m here to remind Taku about a party that Kamijo is having tomorrow night.”

“Kamijo is hosting a party?” Rei asked in surprise. “I thought he hated crowds.”

“He doesn’t usually like recreational activities such as those, but I believe he made an exception for the night. He has invited a lot of different types of artists, so it’s bound to be interesting. It’s not a typical party, not anything like Kyo’s. No. It’s semi-traditional, more like a ball or masquerade than a party, to be blunt. But you know how Kamijo is.”

“Yeah, it’s cool though. Hey, have you heard from Umi lately?”

“Oh yes, Umi is expected to attend as one of the more… popular guests, and if I may be so bold, your company would be also most welcome at the party. I’m sure Kamijo would be overjoyed to see you again after so long…. Where have you been all this time, anyway?”

Kiiro shifted, answering for Rei. “We recently moved to America.”

“Why’s that? Did something happen?”

“You could say that, I suppose. We exhausted our resources here, and we thought it best to move on until things can… mend themselves.” As the smaller, effeminate man nodded in understanding, I looked suspiciously to Kiiro, knowing that he was using code words, and was not too happy about it.

“I don’t know how long that will take. I think it’ll be a while before… things have returned to normal. Don’t worry too much, though. Kaoru is helping keep it controlled.”

“Good,” Kiiro said, but I noticed that he had some reservations on the matter. Perhaps he didn’t agree, or maybe he doubted that Kamijo really had the ‘resources’ under control.

“About the party,” Shinji asked, glancing at me. “Can we take non-members with us? This is Alice. She is our friend from America.”

The two exchanged a look. “Yeah, sure.” He turned to me. “Hi, Alice, you probably recognize me as Hizaki… it is good to meet you.”

“Thank you. I am happy to meet you, also.”

After talking to him for a while longer, the guys relinquished his attention and we began to ascend the concrete staircase back to the surface of the market. When we emerged, the sun beat down on me mercilessly and I pulled my hair back into a ponytail, hardly caring that it wasn’t all that flattering.

“Should we really be attending a party right now?” I asked Chino. He nodded, his eyes resting fondly on my face. It was so akin to my brother’s gaze in its fullness that I was stunned by the realization as he spoke.

“It’s a big step toward figuring out what’s going on here… and I really would be surprised if Umi weren’t there,” he responded, smiling. “It’s easier than trying to track her down with this address. Besides, it would be a good way for us to mingle with our… people. And I’m sure we could make some powerful friends there.”

“You don’t really... ah…. Mingle much, do you?”

“Not since we moved.”

I was silent for a while, and took notice of the purposeful gait of Tsurara once again. I began to wonder if he always walked this way, and I just hadn’t noticed it. “Great, now where are we going? Is it custom to not give a girl any information?”

“Sorry,” Shinji said with a laugh. “We are going back to our old apartment. I think Taku kept it for us, so we should be able to stay there for as long as we need to.”

“Oh… but what about me? Do you want me to go back to the base?”

“You can come with us if you want, but we can take you back if you’d rather go. I’m sure you’ll get tired of that military ground soon enough.”

“No, I’d rather be with you guys, trust me. My brother isn’t even around, so I’d just be by myself anyways. Thanks, though.”

We arrived at a tall, slender building that was several stories tall with a sleek, modern appearance. The long windows were tinted a strange black-blue color like some of the surrounding office buildings, and I got the impression that one could see out without being noticed. Tsurara opened the main door and held it as we filed in, Kiiro opening the second one for us. I was the last to enter, and he followed me somewhat halfheartedly, a sullen expression on his face.

Tsurara, Shinji, Rei, and Chino led me to their apartment, which was on the 5th floor of the building. As we entered the elevator, I stared at the numbered square buttons, noticing with a jolt that the number 4 was not present. I stared at the numbers 3 and 5, my mind trying to wrap around the concept of it missing and not quite able to. I hadn’t thought that the Japanese still avoided the number in modern culture, and I felt a little stupid for thinking otherwise. Why wouldn’t they?
♠ ♠ ♠
I do not own Hizaki, his name, or any part his band (Versailles). Nor do I claim affiliation with any of them in any way.