Fly Back Home to Me

Fly Back Home To Me

She stood lost, looking around for anyone familiar.

She had just gone to the bathroom, her mother said she’d be waiting just outside, but... no one was there where she came out. Now she stood alone holding the bunch of daisies she had gotten him, they were his favourite.

Airports were such huge and busy places, if someone got lost in one they would be lost for a while. She stood for a second longer trying to pick a face out of the crowd before realising she could just call her mum on her cell phone.

She fished it out of her pocket only to realise it was dead. She remembered checking it before they had left; it had one bar I have enough she thought. She had thought that she wouldn’t need it either, who else would txt her?

She started wondering around, trying to think of places her mother would be, trying to find the terminal he would be arriving at. It was so huge, so sparse and oh so confusing. So many people, so many places, so many terminals and planes.

Why couldn’t she had remembered his flight number, or even the airline he was flying on or even where he was flying in from. She hadn’t taken notice of anything like that, just the fact that he was finally coming home.

Why did he have to go and travel the world? He didn’t need to, really. They lived in London, it overlooked the whole of Europe, where else would you want to go? I mean really? Where else was there? Fast-food horrible accented America? Grimy stinking hot Africa, the whole thing? Freezing cold backward Russia? Over populated bike riding China and Japan? Communist, hate the other half Korea? Hot, dirty, criminal-offspring Australia? Tiny speck on the map think they’re important New Zealand? I mean where else was there interesting to visit that wasn’t at our back doorstep?

She was lost and she felt hopeless. She clutched to the daisies close to her chest so their faces were staring up at her as she slid down a wall in a corner. She had no idea how to find her mother or what terminal he was coming in on. Her only hope was to go and find the car that was parked in the midst of the other million cars that looked just like theirs out there.

Tears started making tracks down her cheek, each one racing faster than the other. Her chest began to break out into sobs, small at first but gradually getting bigger. She wanted to be the first one to hug him, to tell him that he should never leave again, to tell him off for leaving in the first place. She wanted to be the first one to put her arms around him and hug him tightly to her like she use to do.

“Hey beautiful why you so sad?” a voice she knew and loved so deeply, that she could never hate. She opened her eyes and then threw her arms around his sitting figure and hugged him so tightly.

“Hey little sis, didn’t know you missed me so much.” She was crying and he was laughing. She was 17 and crying over being lost and missing her big brother.

She finally released him and handed him the daisies.

“My favourite. Thank you, they’re beautiful, just like you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Word count: 566