Status: slightly active? i still have writers block

Innocence is an Illusion

Chapter 5

The person that walked into the room wasn’t the reason that Lexi’s heart sped up.

Or at least that was what she was trying to convince herself. As the door closed behind him, she could only think one thing – Wow. He was . . . wow. She scanned him up and down, hoping it would look like she was sizing him up, not checking him out. Judging by the nervous and uncomfortable look on his face, she was succeeding. Obvious muscles were flexing under his t-shirt, and his blond hair looked permanently windswept. Intense blue eyes twinkled uncertainly at the pair of them, and Lexi looked away abruptly, tapping her fingers on the table again as if she was unimpressed by his appearance. However, she was thankful that he looked nothing like Ben did, and hopefully he didn’t have the personality, either.

David had gotten up and shaken hands with the man. Lexi found herself struggling to stay uninterested, though she was tuned in to what they were saying. Out of the corner of her eye, Lexi noticed David gesture to her and she looked over blankly, raising an eyebrow.

“Lexi, this is your new partner, Lucas Brody. Lucas, this is Alexandra Silvers, our best and worst tempered agent.” Lexi blinked twice. Best? She didn’t think so, but she assumed this was how David introduced everyone. Worst tempered, however, he had hit right on the dot.

Lucas offered up a small smile and waved. “Hey. You can call me Luke.”

“And you can call me Alexandra.” She stated, her face unchanging. Lucas’s face fell at her not returning his courtesy, but Lexi couldn’t have cared less. All she wanted to do was catch whoever killed her mother without this blond dude getting in the way. “Can I leave now?” She asked David, her eyes flashing.

David sighed, knowing that Lexi would act like this. “Please, Lexi, just try to cooperate for one moment. As you know, Lucas will be your partner. I’m sure there’s some things you will want to discuss, after all, you are the leader.

Lexi pretended to think for a moment. “Nope. Not a thing. Can I go now?”

“No.” David stated hardly, giving Lexi a look that almost made her shrink in her seat. However, she had to make herself look strong for the rookie, who was inching away though David’s stare was not directed at him. Psh. Another reason why he was not cut for this.

“I know you have to have things to discuss, so both of you are going to be spending time getting to know each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and learning strategies. Please, Lexi, don’t make it harder than it needs to be.” David was almost pleading now, and Lexi softened at seeing him seem so vulnerable. Sighing she stood up.

“Fine . . . for you, but not for him.” She grunted, gesturing to Lucas with her head. She walked around the table and opened the door, waiting for Lucas to follow. Annoyed she turned around, where Lucas was just staring at her like he was trying to understand some underlying message to her word. “I’m not waiting all day, newbie, either you hang with me and learn to survive or you die out there.”

Believing her words, Lucas nodded at David and followed her out obediently. This was going to be an interesting day.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments? yes? please? ok!