Status: This story is completed!

Love is a Pretty Tragedy

Chapter One

[Chapter 1]

The rain was still coming down in torrents. Reluctantly, I opened my car door and stepped into the knee-high grass. I had to come back; I couldn't leave before seeing it once more. My pace was leisurely to the deck, all the memories of the summer running in my mind creating a slide-show of events. Abruptly, the tall blades stopped tickling my knees, and I had finally reached the old wooden deck. Moss was almost completely covering the deck making it difficult to keep my balance on the slippery surface. I gazed out along the lake to the thick rows of trees, which were barely visible through the heavy downpour. For a moment, it seemed like his smell still lingered, the smell of aftershave and ice cream. I could almost feel those familiar arms around my waist, and a soft but strong voice whispering something sweet into my ear. Gently, a tear drop fell from my cheek onto the deck.

I edged to the side of the deck, seeing my own reflection surrounded by the rain pelts, how much I had changed personally and my life in general. Caught up in the moment, I barely realized that I had lost my footing until I fell into the chilly water. Once, I had gotten over the initial shock, I opened my eyes to view complete darkness, before panic started to spread throughout my whole body. I attempted to swim to the surface, however no luck. Something was pulling me down and away. Maybe an undertow, from the storm but there was no possible way to tell. I was in such a panic mode; I had no idea what to even do. No natural instincts were kicking in like they were supposed to. Then, it hit me, as I was struggling to retain consciousness by helplessly sinking that this was it. I was about to perish, with so many regrets. Without saying good-bye, thinking that I should have tried harder, I could have explained more. There must have been something else that I could have done.

I shook the horrible thoughts of dying from my mind; he wouldn’t want this to be my end. I had to keep some hope. I attempted again to reach the surface, but it didn't help. Consciousness soon left me, and it felt as if those arms were once again embracing me.

Three Months Earlier

Mrs. Henry Owens. Mrs. Henry Owens. Mrs. Henry Owens.

I let out a profound sigh as I glanced at my notebook covered in, hopefully, my future name and hearts. Only if I paid as much attention to the teachers as I did my doodling, I would pass with no problem. However, it was too little, too late to be worrying about that now. High school was about to end in only a couple of moments, and the thought of that was both terrifying and exhilarating. I knew that I would miss it once it ended, but right now I was ready to have a whole three months of seeing Henry every day. The guy that gave me butterflies and sent my heart flying. It may sound so incredibly cheesy, but every second with him was true and perfect. To think I used to the be the girl that would laugh at the cutesy, annoying couples that have endless inside jokes and are constantly holding each other’s hands.

Unfortunately, whenever I thought of summer, the end of summer would always pop up in the back of my mind. The day when Henry and I would be heading off to different colleges. Henry, a local community college in our small town in Ohio. Myself, my dream school, University of Chicago, the one I will be heading off to with my best friend. I let out another deep sigh, as I tried to shake the thoughts free from my mind as always. I mindlessly twirled my curly, auburn hair as I gazed out the window.

However, the peaceful qualities of nature were soon erupted by a class countdown. The second hand on the clock moved slowly. 6 more seconds of high school, 5...4...3...2...1! The whole class cheered wildly, papers flying everywhere, high fives awarded, and our teacher slowly sneaking out to enjoy her own summer vacation. Aly rushed over to my desk and gave me a big hug. “Estelle!” She squealed. “How amazing this summer is going to be! I mean we have so much to do. Remember that list we made summer after junior year of all that stuff we had to do before we graduated, and I have to find a cutie...” I smiled kindly to my overly excited best friend, as I grabbed my stuff and headed out the door.
Today, like every day we had a chance, I’d be meeting Henry at our spot. I knew he’d be waiting, so I quickly walked with Aly, anxious to see him. One great thing about our spot, other than it being secluded from the outside world, breathtakingly beautiful, absolutely ours, and filled with amazing memories, was that it was assessable. I could walk to in a 15 minute walk from school or my house.

Aly already knew where we were headed, and was happy to keep me company. “So,” she continued. “I was thinking, possibly, we could do a huge, end of the year, seniors only, blowout party at your house.”

I paused and thought how to avoid this. “Um, why not at your house,” I tried to encourage instead. Huge, “blowout” parties weren’t really my thing. I have too many memories of cleaning up after all of my brother’s parties when he was still in high school, trying to hide the evidence from my parents, who always found out anyway. However, I knew Henry and Aly would love me forever if I had one, and I do have the pool.

“Come on, your house is huge, has a pool, and is legendary for parties. I’m sure your brother would help.” Aly practically pleaded.

I bit my lip, knowing I would later regret it, but Aly pleads were too much. “Sure.” I said so quickly it might have been missed.

“Seriously! Thank you so much! Don’t worry I’ll basically plan everything. Love you.” Aly said giving me a suffocating hug.

“No problem.” I half-heartily responded because then I spotted him. Henry, with his shaggy, dark brown hair slightly blowing in the warm summer breeze was standing at our spot.

“Ah, make-out session. I got it. Love ya.” Aly said hurrying off and back-tracking toward her house.

Henry didn’t even seem to notice us walk up. I stood their silently watching the wind blow his shaggy dark brown hair in the wind, how every hair was tousled but still seemed to be perfectly in place. His face was serene as he looked out at the sun shining down on the lake. He was leaning against the large oak beside the lake with his arms crossed around his chest. Just tense enough that you could see his muscles through his shirt.

His presence completed ‘our spot’. The one with the old tire swing, the wooden dock and the lake that extended for miles, and we were the only visitors. The lot is owned by an elderly couple, and Henry has helped to maintain their landscape. In exchange, we have had the opportunity to have a spot to get away just for us.

Henry’s eyes slowly drifted over to my face. As soon as he saw me, a smile broadens his face and a certain glimmer appeared in his emerald eyes. I couldn’t help myself. I ran over and gave him a huge hug. He returned it, lifting me off the ground and spinning me around. Henry sat me down as I stood on my tipy toes to give him a peck on the lips. I pulled back, and his scent still lingered. “Long time no see,” I joked.

“Way too long, babe,” He let his fingers graze the outline of my face as he laughed his signature laugh, which was between an actually laugh and a chuckle. I let my fingers naturally lace through his, as we walked slowly to the tire swing. I hopped on first as Henry always jumped on second to get the swing in motion.

“It’s finally here.” I basically said to myself in disbelief. This long awaited summer is here, and it was going to be a perfect summer, together.

“Finally,” Henry echoed, but his tone was more in relief than disbelief. He rubbed his thumb against the back of my hand. “Everyday together, except the ones I have to work.” He sighed.

I teasingly frowned. “I don’t think I will be able to let you out of my sight, unless free ice cream is included, of course.”

“Always for you, babe,” Henry said before brushing his lips against mine. I closed my eyes and let the softness of his lips blend with the strawberry-flavored pair that were my own. I let his lips take the lead as I melted into the slow movement of them. I broke the kiss, but just so I could stare into his emerald green eyes. I softly stroked the side of his face as he did the same to mine. “I have so much planned for this summer for the two of us.”

I was still lost in his eyes. “Hmm,” I almost hummed as I was shaken out of the hypnosis I was put under.

Henry chuckled slightly. “I have a couple of surprises up my sleeve for this summer.” He repeated himself.

“Oh really, sounds mysterious but I can’t say that I don’t mind just this.” I said going in for another, more passionate kiss.

“Works for me,” Henry whispered between gasps of air.

“Let’s just say that I have a few surprises myself.” I teased back, breaking away before I went back to kissing the man that I would get to spend the rest of my life with and especially every moment of the summer with, or so I assumed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello! So I will posting this story frequently as I have finished it!
But comments almost make me post faster and help me improve!
So thanks for reading!
~Charmedmiss