Status: This story is completed!

Love is a Pretty Tragedy

Chapter Twenty Eight

[Chapter 28]

Estelle's POV

It was just another day in the dorms, only a few weeks until Thanksgiving now. I didn't want to think of how close winter break was now. These weeks had flown by faster than I ever believed they would. Once I started to allow myself to enjoy the little things of college, it has gone by so fast. I now love the weirdly-shaped everything bagels that they have in the dining halls, my own little space in the library on the 3rd floor in the corner by the beanbags, and cuddling up near the fire in dorm lobby with a good book that wasn’t required for classes. Currently, I was on my laptop in my room while Aly was in the shower. Ethan was waiting for her, and we sat in silence. He was reading a textbook, not sure how much he was truly taking in for his big test tomorrow. Like always, my mind was elsewhere. Henry wasn't able to visit me since the last time. He had tried, but he was busy “training” he said. Shawn was supposedly breathing down his back more than ever. He had called me twice, and every time he asked the same question. I knew that now was my chance.

"Do you want to go grab some coffee together?" I asked Ethan.

Ethan was still glancing at his textbook as he turned the page. "Sure, Aly should be out of the shower in a second." They truly did everything together now. However, they still didn’t establish themselves as an official couple. Aly tells me it is because Ethan says he doesn’t like labels and that they should just be having fun. However, I felt like I knew the real reason. Even though the plans involved her, I knew now wasn't the right time to load her with all of our secrets, so I needed to talk to Ethan by myself.

I chuckled. "No, I mean just us two. I really need to talk to you about some things that my father may have talked to you about." I figured this should get his attention.

"Oh," He seemed to have forgotten about that since college started or maybe he really was trying to put it out of his mind for now. He forgot about the shorten time limit; he wasn't aware that he was going to run into the powerful force that is my best friend. I understood though, and if Henry didn’t ask me, I probably never would have brought it up. Acting like we were both clueless seemed to be working out just fine. "Yeah, yeah let's go right now."

Our short walk to the coffee shop on campus was as awkward as all the dates we had when we weren't making out. We had actually become used to each other more than anything. We quickly got our coffee and before he could really take a sip, I wanted to begin talking. "I know everything that is going on. My brother left me a message in case he died to tell me what my father and mother refused to tell me."

"Wait so you already know all about me, and you don't mind me flirting with your best friend?" I couldn't believe that I was already loosing Ethan. He seemed like he was offended that I wasn’t instantly in love with him especially with my parents pushing us to be together. I would also consider what they are doing to be much more than just flirting.

I tried not to roll my eyes. "We will get to that, but just to let you know I'm so happy for the both of you. I'm aware that your grandfather had a deal with my grandfather that an heir of his would eventually inherit the leadership through marriage. I know that you weren't even going to be involved into my brother was murdered. So…" I was interrupted.

"What? Murdered? By who?" Ethan began to freak out. I placed my hand on his to just calm him down for a second. Many of the people silently chatting or studying in the coffee shop turned and started at him. He settled down. He took off his jacket, and leaned in closer, “Sorry.”

"I was getting there. There is a man that has been manipulating Henry, and his interest is for him to take over the clan that is rightfully ours to get revenge against his own father, the leader of Henry’s clan, who denied him his own clan. Follow that? His name is Shawn, and he will do anything to get control of our clan. He has already killed twice, and had already planned to kill Henry and me." Ethan swallowed but looked extremely confused. I guess after so many months of this being my reality I didn’t consider how strange it must all sound to Ethan.

“Wait, Henry’s a vampire? I don’t know if I have ever even talked to him. Your father had just called me and informed me now was the time but warned that you were just getting over a bad breakup. I didn’t realize that it was to another vampire.” Ethan was working out everything in his head.

I ran my hand through my hair, before placing it to the side. “Neither did I.” I clicked my tongue before continuing, "We don't want to get married and rule a clan. I love Henry, and you have a thing with Aly. Henry and I don't want the leadership. I--" It was more than just myself, "we want to give it to you and whomever you desire to rule beside you. I haven't discussed it with my father yet, and I know that he will be furious. However, I don't care."

"You know I've had to update your father on our progress constantly, and it works out for me that you don't talk with him much because I tell him that we are falling in love more each day. He believes that we should be comfortable in a marriage soon enough." He chuckled. "I even describe dates that Aly and me go on. I never figured out how I would break it to you or him once we were home for break." Ethan admitted. He was speechless for a second, and I could guess what he was trying to say next. "It's not like you aren't beautiful..."

I had to stop him before he began rambling. "We were just meant for other people; don't feel bad about us never clicking." I definitely didn’t, and I was so glad that he had someone else, and that she was my best friend.

"I'm speechless. Should I thank you for giving me what my grandfather has always told me to dream about?" Ethan already had a smile on his face. One was forming on mine as I realized he wanted the leadership.

I now came to the conclusion that he would be a much better leader than me. "It's yours, but first we have to kill this rival vampire Shawn. It will be done when we are supposed to be married and turned which is before my father was planning on. Will you help?" He better say yes, I thought.

Ethan was silent for a while. I was getting more anxious by the second, and the coffee definitely was not helping at the moment. I had a serious case of jimmy leg as the rickety chair I was in wobbled back and forth. "I don't think it is my battle to fight." Ethan finally spoke up. "It was stupid for Henry to ever get involved with someone he didn't know. I can't judge him since I barely know him. I know what is right for me though. I was brought up better than to do what you are asking me to do. Everything sounds great, and I really appreciate the offer that you made me, but I don't know if it is worth my life or..."

"Why won't you help? We need all the help we can get!" I raised my voice, and a few tired college students turned around and stared at us again. I ignored the stares. "He'll kill you too."

"If everything goes as plan, how can he? If he killed us, the clan would not be his. It sounded so perfect..." Ethan began to put on his hat and jacket.

"What if we somehow get rid of him? You'll take over the leadership, so we don't have to?"

"Sure." Ethan replied, but I knew that his mind was somewhere else. He put on his gloves and left just like that.

"Damn him." I placed my face in my palms and hoped that everything around me disappeared. Maybe I should’ve mentioned that he had also killed Henry’s brother, that this man was not full of empty threats, that he was more powerful than possibly all of us combined. However, I didn’t mention any of those things, not that it would help, but it was too late now. I truly didn't think he was going to be a problem. Ethan was always the one that was ready to go along with anything. Now he was emotionally invested in Aly though, he had much more to lose. I lifted my head and found Henry sitting across from me. Seeing him made me want to break down in tears. This was my only job, and I messed it up. He tried not to show it, but I could tell he was disappointed.

"We can do it without him. I’ll just talk to Edmund about a change of plans. He wants the leadership and that is a huge part." Henry reassured me, as he grabbed my hand and placed it to his lips giving it a slight kiss. "I just wish we had more time." I wish we did too. I glanced at him as he stared at the table trying to work out everything in his head. He had been working so hard for this to work out that I’m sure this was a huge setback.

"Let's go for a walk." I didn't want to be in the crowded coffee shop anymore. Even though it was freezing outside, I felt like it would be better to get some fresh air. The more I sat in the coffee shop with so many eyes watching me, the angrier I became.

After we walked only a little bit, our meandering brought us to one of my favorite spots on campus, and I was glad to be able to show Henry a little of what I had been finding joy in. It was a small swing that looked out across the whole quad. Henry placed his arm around me as I cuddled in close to him to try to stay warm.

"I'll probably only be able to visit once more. I'm afraid Shawn might follow my teleport. Thankfully, I've been putting on an act that he believes. Edmund has been testing me, and he sees that I have been working hard.” Henry was smiling, and I understood that Edmund was filling a father figure that Henry had never had as a vampire. Keane was a brother, but not the same wise mentor that Edmund could be for him. “He believes that I will be stronger than him physically and mentally, and especially emotionally. I keep taking the pills, and I keep feeling more confident each day that we can do this. We don’t need Ethan, if he was there, he could get killed.” Henry was rationalizing.

He was becoming obsessive thinking about everything. I ran my hand up and down his back trying to calm his nerves. “Tricking him shouldn't be the problem though. He's smart sure, but more than that he wants the idealized thought of having that power. He is easily more obsessed than me, and I can see it in your eyes that you now see what I am talking about. The scary part is that after we kill him, I don’t know what I will focus on next. That’s to worry about later. The most important thing is that our love is stronger than him or me." Henry's encouraging words were not truly helping.

"I'm scared. I can't lose you." As the date neared, the more anxious I was all the time. My eyes were already beginning to water, and I felt one fall freezing my cheek. Henry could tell that I wasn’t just talking about with Shawn, but I was also talking about after. Henry bent his neck and kissed it away.

"I will never lose you again." I looked into his eyes, to see if he truly meant it, if he would continue to take the pills to keep him alive.

“You’ll keep taking them?” He opened his mouth as if he was planning to speak, but nothing came out. I could see his breath as his eyes focused on mine. There was so much sorrow and pain. His eyes floated down to my lips; I pushed my mine into his, not believing the possibility that one day he wouldn’t be there to kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
There have been a few flaws and bumps in their plan.

Will it all work out Henry and Estelle? Or is their love story doomed?

Until the next chapter,

~Charmedmiss