Status: This story is completed!

Love is a Pretty Tragedy

Chapter Three

Chapter 3

Henry's POV

I slowly dragged myself into my two bedroom apartment that I shared with my brother and tossed my Mary Jo’s cap on the chair as I threw myself on the couch. My head was still killing me as I continued to message my temples. “You barely escaped that one today Henry,” I whisper to myself. I have been working at the ice cream shop since freshman year of high school, but the new manager just started this year, and I could not help but to use my powers to get him to leave us alone sometimes. I glanced to my left, pass the blinds, and noticed that the sun was fading behind the nine-story apartment building across the street. I moaned as I dreaded night all day long.

A couple of shuffled feet and muffled voices were heard from my brother’s bedroom. He usually was not even here. I hopped up and walked past my brother's room, not realizing he was conversing with unfamiliar man. They both stared at me, my brother with a death glare, the other with a curious stare. "Sorry, I'll come back later." I said as Keane shut the door in my face.

He was always very private with me, but I always chose not to mind. I would be forever thankful for what he did for me. He gave up so much of his life to take an innocent dying boy out of the street. I don't remember my parents or even know what they looked like. Keane found me after we had all gotten into a horrible car crash. He said he was just driving by before the police showed up, and with all the blood, he could not resist checking out the scene. He found me to be the only one still sustaining a couple of short breaths. Only seventeen, Keane made a decision to keep me alive, and I was to remain at that age forever. There was only one way to do that and Keane is only one of the few to have such an ability – to give eternal life in exchange for an unfortunate reality. I’m grateful now as I feel I had so much more life to live.

The accident left me with amnesia and a whole new personality and powers. Leaving all my previous memories to be erased, and for me to start from scratch as something I did not even believe to exist previously. There were always those people that were superstitious about our little town being run by two clans of vampires, but I believed that many did not seem to think that was the truth. Just old folks tales or something to make sure your kids came home before dark.

I walked back into the kitchen, still hungry, even though I had already fed before I came home from work. The fridge was crammed full of blood, but none of it was appetizing. I wanted blood but not just any blood, and I slammed the fridge door. The smell of her blood came rushing back to me. I barely notice it during the day, but the smell is all pent until the sun goes down. There is something so unique about her blood – it refuses to leave my mind.

I tried to get my mind off of it by sitting across the room on the couch and thinking back to that day Keane changed me. It ended up working out alright. The clan is more interested in competing with the other clan in town for blood and power that they barely notice my disinterest. Luckily, the clan I was brought into has evolved so they are normal by day and vampires by night. So even after years of dating, Estelle has never had the slightest clue of what I really am. It worked out that her parents have always been strict with her. It might be just because they hate me with a passion. I feel like she is Cinderella, when the sun goes down she turns into a pumpkin and has to go home. Maybe they are superstitious of the tales, but I just figured they were just old-fashioned. Controlling my supernatural urges isn't my forte, and their rules have allowed me to never worry about it.

Even though I have loved her more than I have loved anyone my whole life, I know I will have to let her go. I try not to think about the inevitable too much and just enjoy the time we have. It always seems to pop up somewhere in our conversations as Estelle is so set on getting out of this town and figuring herself out. I completely support her and her ambition. She is always begging me to just move to Chicago with her. However, if she isn't under her parent's rules anymore, I couldn't hide any longer. Of course, I wish things could be different, but I can't hate this gift. Without it, I wouldn't have ever lived to even meet Estelle.

Keane and his 'friend' walked past me. My brother waved goodbye and shut the door behind him.
"Who was that?" I couldn't help but to be curious.

"Are you suddenly interested in clan business?” Keane used my disinterest to his advantage. "What did you need?"

"Nothing really," I commented, my thoughts were the same as usual.

Keane nodded and took the seat across from me, as I sat up on the couch. "Is that girl still on your mind?" Keane never seemed to like Estelle too much.

"You read my mind?" I questioned. I still hadn't quite mastered any of my vampire powers and was slightly jealous how easily it came to the others. If I really focused, like today with my boss, I could manage. He was easier to manipulate than most anyway.

"No, I could see it all over your face." Keane said without emotion.

"That obvious? Well she is always, you even know I love her and..."

I got cut off by Keane. "While I don’t know much about her – I know she is not from our clan. She is a mortal. We've gone through this many times before. You will never drop it, will you?"

I couldn't respond. "Brother, this is complicated. I have never been through this myself and don't know anyone that has. You are different from the rest of us vampires it seems. Most of us were originally vampires, born with it in our blood, but as you know...” I nodded my head; he had told the story many times. “You love, most of us just lust. Two completely different things, or so I have been told. You just have to follow your heart. If you really love her, think what is best for her." That was probably the deepest thing that Keane had ever said to me, except it didn't help at all. I already knew it all.

"Now, hunting time. Would you like to join me?" Keane asked, done giving any advice.

"No thanks, already ate. Thanks for the advice." Keane nodded and left out the door. Then my stomach growled. Damn it, I thought as I slipped through the door right before it closed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, so I know this was a super short chapter.
It may be considered as a -ah I don't know if I can say it- filler chapter!
It will probably be re-edited soon, only just like the rest of my stuff hah!
~Charmedmiss