Maybe High School Isn’t So Bad

Maybe High School Isn’t So Bad Chapter 6

Thank you to lightsfan for the new title and cover.
‘Maybe High School Isn’t So Bad’.

Miles sat down next to us at our table during lunch and sighed. Everett and I looked over at him as he put his head down on the table.
“Anyway,” she said looking back at me. “I’m going to push you into him and that’s when you start flirting with him.”
“No” I said turning to face Miles.
“Aw come on! It could work.”
“Why the long face?” I asked Miles ignoring Everett.
“Kelly asked me out in Math class today…” he said.
“So?” I said looking over at Everett.
“She’s cute, nice, smart Erica and I like her,” Everett said.
“She’s not my type…” he said.
“Who is your type?” I asked.
“Anyone who isn’t my race…” he said sighing again.
Everett and I shook our heads. Miles has been going through this ‘I like white girls’ phase and the black girls have been going through this ‘I like Miles’ phase. It frustrates him and us.
“Take what you can get,” Everett said playing with the ends of her hair.
“No thanks,” he said sitting up. “So, how’s Pizza Boy?”
“I haven’t seen him around much today…” I said.
“But that’s going to change soon!” Everett said facing the cafeteria doors.
I mouthed “help me” to Miles and he just laughed. “This is not my area of expertise”.
“Some friend you are.”
“Here he is! Let’s go,” Everett said grabbing my hand. She led me in front of his path so he would see us. I kept my eyes glued to the floor.
We joined a random lunch line and Everett kept an eye out for him.
“He’s walking over to the salad line.”
“He’s with person, we should just wait.”
“Nonsense,” Everett took my hand and led me over to the salad line.
I held my breath as I got behind him.
“Breathe!” Everett said shaking me a little.
“Sorry…” I said suddenly feeling awkward.
“Ready?” she asked as the line moved up a little.
I shook my head as fast I could.
“Yes! Great!” Everett as she pushed me into Ayden.
I quickly turned around and he faced me with his famous blank stare.
“Sorry,” I quickly said.
He simply nodded his head and turned around.
I shot Everett a glare as we moved up in the lunch line. Moments later we got our lunch and rejoined Miles at our lunch table. He had already got his lunch and was half way done. “How was it?”
“Horrible!”
“You didn’t stick with the plan,” Everett said taking a bit of her sandwich.
“Well, there goes my plan to get pizza for dinner…”
Once we finished eating we headed outside for a bit. After lunch we went back inside and finished the school day.
******
I couldn’t find Tessa anywhere and she wasn’t answering her phone. So I headed to the car to see if she was there. On my way there I saw Ayden with his friends, around his car, joking around. I smiled to myself and headed to Tessa’s car.
I saw the car shake a couple of times and I stopped dead in my tracks.
There was no way that I was getting in that car.
I turned around and headed toward the school slowly.
The buses had already left and Miles was at track practice.
I sighed and kept on walking to the steps of the school. I sat down and put my head in my hands. I had to sit here for an hour until the late buses came.
“Are you okay?” a voice asked after a few minutes of sitting on the steps.
I looked up and saw a girl smiling at me.
“Um… yeah, I’m fine.”
“Do you need a ride or something?”
I smiled. “Sure.”
“Follow me, my boyfriend won’t mind.”
I got up and followed her to her boyfriend’s car.
“So, what’s your name?” she asked after a while.
“Erica, yours?”
“Emily,” she said smiling at me. “Hey baby! Can we give my friend, Erica, a ride?”
“Sure,” he said as he poked his head out of the car window.
It was Ayden.
He smiled at me before putting his head back inside.
“Get in,” Emily said smiling.
I got into the backseat of the car as Emily took her seat next to her boyfriend.
He smiled at her before driving off.
“Where do you live?” Emily asked as Ayden drove.
“I know where it is. She orders pizza a lot,” Ayden said looking back at me through the review mirror.
I smiled.
“Oh. You spend that much money for pizza?”
“It’s worth it.”
Ayden pulled up to my house and looked at me through the mirror. “This is it, right?”
“Yeah, thanks,” I said grabbing my book bag as I left the car.
I waved to them as I headed up the steps leading to my house. I pulled out my key and quickly entered my house. I waved once again and Ayden honked his horn before leaving.
I am defiantly getting pizza tonight.