Status: Complete

The Perfect Parade

The Perfect Parade

The soldier marched along the faux beach scenery, looking at the mural every few steps. She had been making sure that this flawless painting was not conjured solely by her inventive mind. After a moment, she stopped, her combat boots striking the ground forcefully. Her gaze scanned the painting, looking for anything as much as a small blemish.

None – null. As many times as she had looked over the colossal painting, she had seen no defect of any sort.

With this knowledge that provided no power, she imagined herself on that beach. That beach where the oranges and yellows of the sun blended perfectly together, yet contrasted the blues and greens of the ocean. There were no trees to block the view of the perfect sky, no beach balls and volleyball nets crowding the serene sand. This painting had room for only one person to enjoy the landscape as there were no people painted on the beach. It was the viewer’s personal haven.

A long time had passed by and the sun began to set. It looked nothing like it did above that perfect beach.

She had often let her mind wander when marching in parades, waving at people on either side when the others were not looking, smiling like there was no tomorrow.

She made a move to leave the site and walk back home, and she passed the majority of the wall by the time she saw it.

In that moment, it was revealed that she was not a soldier or the Army, Marines, or the Navy. Her combat boots were not worn for the purpose of war. When she marched in parades, it was not with a group of others just like her.

She was a soldier of the Unconventional and the Confident, her boots were the materialistic form of acceptance, and the parade she took part in was a family that she was the leader of. The family made up of those who agreed, but were very different.

There it was, the tinge of blue that was a speck on the sun. The painting never was as flawless as it seemed.