Untitled

The Beginning... Again

Crystal shivered as she walked down the dark alley. She knew she wasn't supposed to be there. But she had to come. She had to find out. Had her whole life been a lie? All of Crystal's life she thought she had been pretty much as normal as everyone else she knew. Nothing unusual or exciting ever really happened to her. But before she left her house tonight to meet her date at the cinema, something very strange happened. It had gotten cold all of a sudden, the lights went out, and there was a low, haunting whisper filling her house.
It said to her, "Crystal... it's time you know the truth... go to the alley by the old pharmacy. There and there alone will you find your true self......."
She knew it made no sense but all her life she felt as though something was missing. As though something in her all too normal, boring life just wasn't there. She knew she had to find out what she was missing out on.
So there she was, wandering around in the dark, scared of what she was going to find out about herself. Or maybe that it was all in her head and she wasn't going to find out anything at all. Yet, she didn't turn back because she was so intrigued by what the mysterious voice had meant. Crystal looked up and saw that she was at the dead end of the alley. She was about to turn around when she saw a glimmer of light. Bewildered, she couldn't help but stare at it in wonder. All of a sudden, it exploded. Crystal was startled, but unharmed. She opened her eyes again and saw a woman. A shimmery, ghost-like figure of one anyway. She looked so familiar, but from where? Then she thought of it. That woman had smiled at her when the passed her on the street the day before.
She asked the figure, "What is going on? Who are you?"
"Ah, my child, it has been such a long time since I have seen your beautiful face. Crystal-"
"How do you know my name?"
"Crystal, this may be hard for you to accept or believe, but I am you mother, Anias."
"Crystal laughed. "That's funny. Really. You had me for a second. Look, if you just wanted money all you had to do was ask. Here's five bucks. Don't spend it on booze." She was about to turn and walk away but the figure stopped her.
"Show me the pendant around your neck." The woman said.
Crystal stopped dead in her tracks. "...What pendant-"
"The broken heart. You never took it off did you? Let me see it, child." She seemed so sure of herself, it almost frightened Crystal.
Slowly, they slipped both pendants out from underneath their shirts. As soon as they were free of all material, they instantly locked together, as if by a magnetic force. Or was it magic?
Shocked, Crystal replied, "Okay... I believe you... But I don't understand..."
"Honey, your father was a terrible man. When he found out I was Maven, meaning I have powers to be used for good, and that I was pregnant with his child, also with powers, he started abusing me."
"Oh, my God. I'm so sorry..."
"Don't feel guilty, my child, it was not your fault. But I felt that now was the time to tell you the truth. You are old enough to understand."
"But how can this be?"
"Maven has been in our blood line for over three thousand years. Your great-great-great-great-great grandmother was tried, convicted and hung in the Salem Witch Trials. It has become tradition for the children to know when they become old enough to understand and control their powers. But only if they want them."
"What do you mean "if"?"
"If , for whatever reason, a Maven cannot control her powers or does not want them, there is a spell to permanently remove them."
"What's the catch?"
"The catch is the powers will be destroyed for the rest of the generations to come."
"Wow. That sucks."
"Yes. Indeed it does. Also, something else you should know. All Mavens have different powers. For example, I have the abilities to float, make holograms, and I can throw my voice over long distances."
"Yeah, was..."
"What did you say, darling?"
"It's not every day I talk to an apparition!"
"I know this is awkward."
"So what do I do now?"
"Continue you're life as normal. But beware! Evil will come for you eventually, when you least expect it. Be cautious! Oh, and there is another-"
"Crystal? What are you doing?" A low, haunting, and mysteriously sexy voice came from behind her, making her body yearn with the deep longing that only he could bring her. Passion flowed through her as her body ached for him.
"Crystal?"
The daydream shattered as she felt his warm hands down her middle, making her gasp for breath.
"Are you alright? What are you doing down here?"
Crystal looked up at the wall where the ghostly apparition had been, but it was gone.
"I.. I was just-"
"Forget it, we're going to be late. Let's go, baby."
His hands gently slipped a little down the edge of the top of her pants, feeling her warm flesh against his hot, oversized hands.
At this point, she just wanted to skip the movie, although they probably weren't going to pay much attention to it anyway.
"Are you feeling alright? You've been acting weird all day. And you sounded a little freaked out on the phone earlier. What's going on?"
"Um, well, it's kind of difficult to explain..."
"Oh, I get it, it's one of those girly things, right?"
"Uh...yeah...sort of." Maybe not telling him now was a good thing, he might think she was crazy and that would screw up the night they had planned.
They pulled up to the cinema in his black Ford Mustang convertible, paid for their tickets, and went into theater three which was showing "Losing Hold Of Luna". The whole time, Crystal had a feeling in the pit of her stomach that something was going to happen. But she didn't say anything for fear of screwing up the night.