Status: Active...as long as Tiffany and Bailey are good with updating :D

Desolate

Chapter Nineteen

The slight rainfall had turned into a full on storm in a matter of minutes. Big fat raindrops pounded against the van and it was making it impossible to sleep.

“We have to stop Charlie, at least for the night,” Jordan said, trying to overpower the sound of the rain.

“Fine,” Charlie said, looking out the window. “Turn in there.”

“What is it? Another mall?” Jordan sighed as she turned into the parking lot.

“Sort of, just a regular Sears,” Charlie replied, shrugging. Jordan stopped the van and they all cautiously opened the van doors and made sure the coast was clear.

“Now this is just for the night,” Charlie whispered, “Now follow me.”

They quietly tiptoed into the store and held their guns ready. They searched every corner, every back room, every corner, and every aisle before they checked the basement and the roof.

“Ok, I think we’re good,” Jordan said, putting her hands on her hips, staring at the beds they had on display. “Charlie, you and Oliver should take this bed and take it downstairs.”

“Why us?” Charlie said, folding her arms across her chest.

“The way I see it, if there are any survivors around here, they might notice that there are people in here and you’re better at handling people than the rest of us are,” Jordan explained.

“How am I better at handling people?” Charlie said, narrowing her eyes.

“Well, Alex has displayed a very violent streak earlier today,” Jordan said, gesturing to Alex, who set her gun down on the small bed, “And I’m terrible with people.”

Charlie rolled her eyes and nodded in agreement. “Fine, Oliver and I will go downstairs,”

She grabbed one end of the double bed and he grabbed the other and they headed for the escalator.

“You and Darren take your little beds over to that side of the store,” she said, “Zakk and I will go to the other side.”

Jordan, finally settled in, couldn’t make herself lie down and fall asleep. She had questions that she’d blocked from her mind until now.

“What’s on your mind?” Zakk asked, gently stroking her back as he lay next to her.

“Seeing Charlie’s brother, and how hard that whole situation was for her, it really made me think, but not until just now,” she said softly. “In the moment, my thoughts went straight to her, but right now, it’s making me think about my own brother.” Zakk waited for her to continue, not taking his eyes off of her.

“About a week ago, my fiancée and I had found a house that was near my brother and his wife and their kid that’s on the way,” she explained.

“Where does your brother live?” Zakk asked. Jordan narrowed her eyes in thought before she answered, “About an hour from here.”

“Maybe we can go to where him and his wife are and take them with us.” He suggested.

“I can’t do that…” she said softly.

“Why not?” he asked, sitting up slightly.

“Her brothers are dead, and-” Zakk interrupted her abruptly before she could finish, “Charlie may be angry and bitter because of what happened. But I know for a fact that she would never punish you, or your brother, or his wife and unborn child.”

“I know…but…I would feel like I was rubbing it in her face that I have a brother and she’ll never have her brothers back,” she said, her voice cracking slightly.

“I think she knows that you would never do that to her,” he said, sitting up all the way and wrapping his arms around her waist, “You should give yourself and Charlie some credit.”

“I know,” she said, chuckling softly. He left kisses along her neck until he reached her lips. She didn’t hesitate to kiss him back, and before she knew it, she was on her back, overwhelmed by the warmth of his body against hers. Zakk was gentle and patient with her and he held tightly onto her hands, refusing to let go.

She’d never felt this kind of heat and it was almost painful. But the feeling of Zakk holding onto her so gently melted that all away. She’d expected to push him away and tell him no, to be self conscious around him. But she didn’t do any of those things. She gave herself away to him.

------------------------------------------------------

Charlie snuggled against Oliver, trying to forget the entire day’s events and trying not to take her anger out on Jordan, even though she really didn’t want to stop. If she’d had her way, they’d still be on the road and they’d just suck it up. But Jordan agreed that they’d be gone first thing in the morning, so she hesitantly compromised.

She raised her head to see Oliver sleeping, with his arm still wrapped around her. She smiled and watched him contently. She rested her head on his chest, listening to the sound of his beating heart as if it was her favorite song. She rolled onto her back and grabbed that hand that was around her and kissed it gently, causing Oliver to wake up.

“You’re a light sleeper,” she whispered with a soft chuckle. Oliver rubbed his eye with his free hand and chuckled with her.

“It wasn’t your kissing my hand that woke me up,” he said. She cocked her head to the side in confusion, causing him to smirk in amusement, “It was the way you flopped onto your back. You weren’t even being subtle about rolling over.”

She slapped his chest playfully and he wrapped both arms around her, holding her tightly against him in a playful choke hold. They were covering their mouths to keep from bursting into laughter when they heard a loud bang on the glass doors. They froze in place and their eyes darted to the doors. A shadow stood behind the door. Charlie and Oliver slowly got out of bed, grabbing their guns and shuffling towards the door. When they got closer, she could see that he was just a human. She tapped the door with her gun and narrowed her eyes at him.

“Have you been bitten?” she asked bluntly. He shook his head. He was filthy and soaked with rain. But she didn’t see any bite wounds and only minor cuts and bruises. She opened the door and he almost fell through the doorway.

“What’s your name?” she asked.

“Austin,”

------------------------------------------------------------

Jordan had dozed off and had almost completely fallen asleep when she heard a huge bang coming from downstairs. Her and Zakk sat up instantly at the same time and got dressed as quickly as they could. She was the first to grab her gun and slowly make her way down the escalator with Zakk at her heels. She ran around the corner, her gun pointed at the front door. She stopped dead in her tracks and her gun fell to the ground.

“Jordan, what’s the matter with you?” Charlie asked. Jordan’s bottom lip trembled and she suddenly felt dirty. The man that stood with Charlie gave Jordan the same look she was giving him.

“You two know each other?” Charlie said, looking from Jordan to the guy standing next to her.

“Austin…” she squeaked. Her body weakened and she leaned against the wall to keep from falling over.

“Who is this?” Zakk asked softly. Tears ran down Jordan’s face and she put her hand to her chest. She felt that her heart was breaking; maybe she would just die right there.

“He’s…he’s my fiancé.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This would happen to Jordan wouldn't it? And Tiffany was supposed to do this chapter, but she never did so I said SCREW IT and did it :D which means, no detailed nasty scene for you. Frickin perverts lol :P anyways, enjoyyyyy