Status: In Progress

My Vampire Love Story

Sleepless Night

42. SLEEPLESS NIGHT

He insisted that I sleep in his room because he knows how I feel about that wonky mattress in my little room, but it felt a bit... awkward despite the fact that I was sore. He walked me to my room (which was unnecessary) and insisted I wore one of his shirts because they wouldn't stick to me. I guess the easiest way to say this is Day bought me a bunch of clothes that stuck to my body. She said it helped bring out the curves or whatever and said it made me look hot which was completely besides the point.

I still declined and he left mumbling about how he was trying to help which was odd for him. Just because he gave me stitches doesn't mean I can't do things on my own.

I only sat down on the bulky mattress without lying down. It was terribly uncomfortable and I knew I wouldn't sleep at all anyway. It was practically the afternoon when I fell asleep and now I slept till night so now I'm not tired. I had second thoughts about reading but my back hurt to much to lean down. I guess I really can't do anything at the moment. I decided to put a shirt on while Conneticut wasn't invaded my space and let me tell you, I tried 4 different ways to put the baggiest shirt I had on but I couldn't lift my arms over my head.

I let out an irritated sigh. I could just settle for the weird poncho thing Day got me for some reason. Of course it was pink but it looked a bit... ugly so I didn't wear it. I decided to just keep the blanket wrapped around me.

I sat there and just decided to let my mind wander around.

I wonder how mom and dad are doing in heaven. I wonder what heavens like. I wonder how my dog is doing in heaven. I wonder if they play fetch in heaven. I wonder if vampires really do go to hell when they die. I wonder what the devils like. I wonder when I'll die. I wonder where Ciara is. I wonder is Cale's watching over Day as I think. I wonder is Conneticut's sleeping yet.

Yeah. If he's sleeping perhaps I could sneak onto the balcony and sleep on that sun chair he has out there, not that I know why he has a sun chair. I lifted my body up to its feet and whimpered over to the door. I opened it slightly to see him passed out on his bed. Perfect, now I can sneak to the balcony. I don't imagine he did that hand waving thing since I'm hurt. I walked as slowly as I could and as quietly as I could until I stood before the closed glass-doors of the balcony. I silently turned the handle and opened it slowly to avoid creaking. I slyly stepped onto the balcony and closed the door with a quiet click.

The light breeze caught my face and it felt magnificent. The stars twinkled and the night sky was black. The moon and the stars were the only source of light that silhouetted the balcony. I sat contently on the sun chair and slowly leaned back. To my surprise, I didn't feel much pain; the stars just seemed to take them away. I sighed happily and closed my eyes in hopes of falling into a deep sleep in this beautiful environment. It soon proved impossible since I really wasn't tired. I couldn't help but notice how beautiful the sky was at night.

I wasn't at all surprised when I heard the click from the balcony door close and see Conneticut at my side staring down at me with his luminous red eyes. "Can't sleep I take it? You know you can wake me up. I don't need to sleep." He said without a hint of sleepiness. He probably slept for as long as I did too.

"Maybe I wanted to be alone for once. I need time to think to myself too." I say to him. I stare past him at the sky and he looks up too.

He grins. "You know. I look at the sky every night and the stars are always in different positions." He stares looking back down at me. "Your back still hurting?" I nodded. Of course it's still hurting, I only got stitches not too long ago. He say at the edge of the balcony, hanging his feet over the edge between the bars. I began to think about Cale and Raja, how they both had multiple powers. Then I thought about Conneticut, how he only has a bloodline power. The book clearly stated that all pure bloods were given a randomly selected power and I haven't seen Conneticut use his. "Do you have a special power like Cale and Raja?" I asked him and he looked taken aback at the random question. He didn't answer right away, which made me suggest it was a no. He ruffled his hair and took a deep breath.

"No. I don't. I'm... I'm not a pure blood... " He says shyly. "My... mother was a human." It didn't shock me too much. I figured it out when I knew his father was a vampire and when I recalled him saying that his mother died a very, very long time ago.

"Did it hurt when she died? How old was she? Do you miss her? Is that why your not as mean as I thought you were going to be when I first came here? Is that why you can't discipline me? Is that why your brothers and sisters look at you funny? " I had so many questions I wanted to know the answer to it wasn't even funny.

"Of course it hurt when she died, she was about 200 years old, yes I miss her a lot,I suppose I got my compassion for humans from my dad, I'm not really the type who picks on girls and my brothers and sisters are mostly disgusted of me because of my mother and my blood." He answers in one whole breath. His answers only gave me more questions.

"How can your human mother live for 200 years? Isn't anyone else in your family a half-vampire? Why would your brothers and sisters hate your blood and do you not think girls are strong enough to take you on?" I blurted out. I'm not really the kind for sympathy even when I know it must hurt for him to talk about this. "Oh! And I thought your dad had to like marry a vampire or something."

He let out a long sad sigh. He didn't answer right away. I thought he wanted to drop the subject. He just fell back and laid on the concrete balcony staring up at the sky. "My mother and father found a way to cheat. It took a few weeks but they found a cheat. If humans drink the right amount of vampire blood, not too little or too much, humans can become part vampire and still be human. Every week, my mother would drink some of my fathers blood. Just a few drops though. Its like a war between humans and vampires. If there were 100 humans against a vampire, the humans would win. The more vampires you add, the more humans you lose, but the humans still win. Its like blood, the more vampire blood you drink, the faster you become a vampire. If you drink enough vampire blood that it doesn't change you, you will lose some human blood cells and they'll be replaced with vampire blood cells. Humans and vampire blood will keep fighting. With that right amount, the human blood will win. Its a cheat and very complicated and dangerous, especially if your like my mother and do not wish to become a vampire. She lived for 200 years and barely aged. She was murdered while father decided to go hunting with me. " He closed his eyes feeling ashamed of leaving her. "We don't know who killed her. There was no scent other than hers. My brothers and sisters don't like me very much because I am not a pure blood. They are very picky about blood. That's why if I do not accept the throne, I will be kicked out." He inhaled. "I don't pick on girls because its not very fair. Guys are normally stronger and I could hurt you faster than you could hurt me. Another thing, yes, if you are king or entitled to the throne, you must marry a vampire to keep up the vampire blood. If you are someone who doesn't matter you can marry whoever you want. Its just to keep the vampire family up. If the king or whoever has a half-blood child, then that kid can marry some human and so fourth and so on and the family will never have pure bloods again. Its complicated."

"So. Your mother only lived for 200 years and only had one kid? Your dad likes humans too?" I questioned. He grinned.

"Funny you brought that up. My mother could only have me." Could? "Vampires take a year to be born. We grow slow in the womb then when we're born we grow quickly and then we slow down again. My mother almost died having me and the doctors said she was unable to have anymore kids or else she would die. It was horrible but my dad still loved her anyway.

"My father didn't intentionally fall in love with my mom. While he was hunting, he found her and she was crying about something, as in balling her eyes out. When my mom looked at dad she knew right away he was a vampire. Its not very hard to tell because of our weird hair and eye colors right. It just happened, I never got the details. Dad asked her whats wrong and stuff and he took her to the castle and they eventually fell in love."