Status: In Progress

My Vampire Love Story

Birthday Part 2

I hadn't noticed there was a forklift beside the stage that Conneticut walked onto. It started to lift him up towards the top of the cake. The top of the cake shone brightly due to the thousand and six candles lit on it. I watched him sigh. His eyes slowly turned back pink as his eyes got closer to the top. I happened to look around and noticed thousands of red eyes that I hadn't noticed.

I guess I was just a bit used to glowing eyes that I didn't notice them.

As soon as he stopped at the top everybody took a deep breath and started shouting and singing the words to "Happy Birthday". I guess I understood why he didn't like birthday parties, it's embarrassing, but I'd love to have a big cake like that. Everyone finished and Conneticut blew all the candles out leaving a puff of smoke climbing to the ceiling. He started descending on the forklift and eventually walked away as someone came to cut the giant cake.

"Hey Day. I thought vampires don't eat human food?" I asked tugging on her sleeve.

"Well, normally we don't. It doesn't taste really right to us, but we can all agree on cake. It's one of the most delicious things you humans ever created." She said getting at the back of the very long line to get cake. "I don't," I objected. "It's too icingy for my liking."

She started to laugh drastically for some reason. I guess it was because of the word icingy. She kept laughing and laughing without a breath. The line began to move at a steady pace She suddenly stopped laughing as a pair of glowing eyes walked towards her. I sort of already knew it was Cale when she smiled. He was holding two pieces of cake in his hands and he smiled. "Be right back." She said as she ran up to him. He started teasing her with the cake as she tried to grab it. He turned around and walked out of the ballroom and left Day staring at him. After thinking for a few seconds she ran after him leaving me alone.

Traitor.

I sat down at a chair that was against the wall and watched as the cake was quickly devoured and everybody started to dance. This is why I hate dances even though I never been to one, being left out. I guessed I would be. I didn't know how to dance so why would it matter.

I sighed. I should have just stayed in my room.

People danced and jumped when the rhythmic music played. They slow danced when slow music came. The concession stand was often visited by hungry vampires and food on the table soon became scarce.

"Boo." Conneticut said sitting on the chair beside me. I crossed my legs and my arms and stared at the blinking lights. "I really wish my dad would stop doing this stuff for me. I'm too old and I hate dancing. I like to just have normal parties with friends." Couldn't blame him. "Did Day leave you?"
I nodded then sighed.

He looked up at the lights with me and slouched in his seat. Boring.

"You-"

"No." I interrupted him. It was a reflex really, me saying no to him.

"I was just going to say you can leave if you want." He said. I felt dumb. I thought he was going to ask me to dance or something, I would be more than happy to leave. "Thank you! See you tomorrow." I said getting up and walking towards the ballroom doors. As I did, I suddenly spotted a small, walking, glowing-eyed Jenny walking past the doors in her little purple dress.

"Mommy!" She called out. She walked down the hall and I followed her to the big room with the chandelier with the doors. She stood in the middle of the room. "Daddy!" She called out again. She plopped down in the middle of the floor and began to cry. I watched her for a few seconds and decided to go see what was wrong.

"What's the matter?" I asked her as I knelt beside her. She looked up at me and sniffled. "I can't find them. My nose isn't very good and I don't feel well. My tummy is sick and my throat is sick and my head is beating. It's sore." She said grasping her head.

"Oh, um." I tried to think. What usually works with headaches? I scanned the room and looked at the doors that led to outside. "Fresh air always helps a headache. Are you allowed to go outside by yourself?" I asked her and she shook her head.

"Will you come? I'm scared of the dark." She cried innocently. I thought for a moment. I didn't suppose Conneticut did his hand-waving thing to keep me in the castle. Maybe I could. "OK." I said to her. I helped her to her feet and opened the giant doors and a light breeze swiftly blew in. It was dark out, except for the lamp posts that were lit every here and there. Jenny's eyes turned red and she walked outside holding my hand.

It was pleasantly cool out. The tree's rattled their leaves and a red moon dimly lit the sky. The grass was a bit damp. Damp enough to soak through the shoes Day lent me so I threw them in the castle doors and held Jenny's hand tightly. We walked along the concrete path that led farther away from the castle. "Chlori" Jenny said and I chuckled.

"Its Clorori." I corrected her. "Oh. What do you suppose is hiding in the shadows. Do you suppose its fairies or goblins. Do you think water cats will jump out at us?" She questioned. Water cats? Goblins? What does this kid watch?

"I don't think anything is going to hurt us." I reassured her. I stopped as I stared into the darkness in front of us. Remind me again why we weren't walking AROUND the castle but farther away from it.

A bell suddenly sounded. A loud bell ruminating from the castle. It was an alarming sound and the atmosphere suddenly went still and the very slightest sound of music you could here from the castle stopped. Jenny's hand crushed mine and I stood dumbfounded wondering what the sound could mean. Obviously, loud alarming things are not good signs.

You could hear the screaming of children from the castle and people running around. I didn't know what was going on.

"JENNY! JENNY! GET BACK HERE!" Day's alarmed yell rang from the castle. I turned back to see her, Cale, and Conneticut staring into the darkness we were surrounded in. They weren't looking at us, but only around us, we weren't seen. "JENNY!" Day yelled again. Jenny began to back up scared staring into the wide-open darkness in front of her. She began to whine and I turned forward. I heard large paws running on the ground from a mile away. I began to back up with Jenny as we continued to stare forwards. The bell continued to ring violently, faster and faster getting louder and louder. "JENNY! RUN!" Day screamed. I saw something darker than dark running towards us. It was huge and it ran on four legs. It snarled and growled. Without thinking, I picked up Jenny and ran. I tried to run through the slippery grass. I watched as someone pushed Conneticut, Day and Cale into the castle and watched us getting ready to close the doors. "JENNY!" Day yelled again freaking. That's right! She can run faster than I can.

I stopped hastily and let Jenny down. "RUN!" I ordered her and she took off faster than I could run towards the castle. "CLORORI! RUN YOU IDIOT!" Conneticut yelled. I watched as Jenny jumped into Day's arms and she began crying. The person threatening to close the doors held to doors open enough for someone to pass. He stared at me. I recognized him as the yellow-eyed guard. He stared at me for a few more seconds and looked up. He looked back down at me and closed the doors. I heard several locking sounds and continued hearing people scream from inside. I turned back to look at several dark darker than dark shapes running at different speeds in no particular place. The one out front got closer to me. It passed a lamp post. It's brown and black fur shined in the light. It's big white canines stood out in its open mouth. I froze and hundreds of them appeared splitting in different directions to surround the castle.

It came closer and closer. It snarled and growled and it leaped at me, throwing all it's heavy weight onto my shoulders and knocking me to the ground. Its claws dug into my shoulders but I stared into it's golden-brown eyes. They glared at me and it's hot breath blew into my face. Hundreds of them passed us and I heard more screaming and windows crashing and listened as they furiously tried to knock down the door.

The werewolves broad paws that were the size of half my brain put pressure onto my shoulder. Its overgrown talons dug into the back of my shoulders. A red thick-furred werewolf stopped beside the one that had me pinned down and made small barking sounds. The one pinning me down growled something to the other and it suddenly lifted it's weight off me and stood beside me. I lied down staring at it standing beside me. I quickly noticed how long and big it was compared to me. Its body was half my size longer and more muscular. Its big black nose sniffed at my hair and across my face.

I froze. My heart was about to top. The only thing that kept running through my mind was it was going to eat me on the spot. I let out small gasps as my breathing got a bit harder.

I remembered what the book said, "The Vampire's Enemy". Werewolves liked humans so that made me feel a bit safer. More werewolves of several colored flew past me towards the castle.

The brown and black haired one shook its body and suddenly grabbed my somewhat grass-stained dress with its teeth and dragged me across the floor. The red haired werewolf started barking at the one dragging me and it growled.