Status: whole new story in the same style. i hope you like it, though ;)

When I'm With You

Who Is Kristan Murphy?

"I wouldn't really call me that if I were you," I said, fiddling with the cutlery set on the table to distract myself.

"Why shouldn't i?" Ian said with a wicked smile crossing his face. "What are you going to do when I call you it again, beautiful."

"I don't know," I said, glancing back up at him before I looked back at the cutlery I was playing with. "I would think I'd have to hit you."

"You got me excited for a second there," he said, leaning back in his portion of the couch. "I though you were going to kiss me but I guess that would have been too early to say."

I blushed as our drinks arrived, our hostess setting mine down in front of me without a second glance but set down the drink in front of Ian, hovering herself in front of me before she straightened. I eyed her as she did so. She saw me and backed off a little, Ian thanking her for her troubles before disappearing from our table. Ian took a sip from his drink before he looked to me with a questioning glance to what had just happened.

I raised my eyebrows as if nothing had just happened and a wry smiled spread across his lips as my eyes drifted off elsewhere as we had our drinks. We were filled with silence as we just enjoyed our presence, I guess. We listened to the other conversations from the tables around us that were barely filled and the taps of the feet of others as they moved about the restaurant. I had gotten about halfway through my drink before Ian questioned me on how much I had drunk.

"I can hold my drink," I said, even though I began to feel slightly woozy.

"Sure you can," he laughed as he pushed a glass of water towards me. "Time for someone to wash it down." I eyed him as I took and had a sip of it, quickly setting it down again. "So you haven't exactly answered my question, have you?"

"Do I have to?" I said, my fingers using the straw to swish the tequila sunrise around. "I'd like to be a little more mysterious."

"Well, there must be a reason for how anybody is so I just wanted to know yours," Ian said, with a pout. "It's just seemed interesting."

"Interesting?" I scoffed. "Thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. My life is less than interesting. It's just normal. Besides, what could be interesting about a make-up artists life?"

"You must've done something to get it right to get here," Ian said, taking another sip of his drink.

I pursed my lips, deciding that I would give him a little information on my life so that could get him off my back, and said, "I was born and raised in NYC but I now live in the Bronx, mainly due to the fact that I have very little money to do any better for my living situation."

"But you managed to keep an old school porsche?" Ian questioned.

"As I said, it was my dad's and its not like I use it when I live back home," I said. "He only gave it to me because I was coming out here, couldn't afford a plane fare and I needed it to get around this place since I see no way of getting around without a car."

"Good point," Ian said. "And by the sounds of it, you can defend yourself as well."

"It's what happens when you live where I live," I said, taking another sip of my drink. "If you can't fend for yourself, your dead meat."

"I guess I couldn't survive where you live, then," Ian said. "Probably need someone like you to defend me."

"I could probably use someone like you to help defend someone like me actually," I said. "I'm too thin to actually do some damage. I can injure someone, sure, but I can't actually break any bones."

"Do you have anyone else with you that could help you if something like that ever happens?" Ian question, his features expressing his worry.

"My girl back at home is thick enough to actually do something about it," I said with a weak smile.

"At least you have her otherwise I might have to come in there just to make sure that you're alright," Ian said, his hand hovering near my hand that sat lazily in between us.

"It would have been good having you there," I said, letting him play with my hand. "Would've brought a freshness to the apartment."

"How so?"

"To many of my friends constantly high friends there all the time," I said. "But the things that you have to do when you want to live."

"If you had only just asked, I could have helped you," Ian said, taking hold of my hand and squeezing it but not too hard like last time.

"I barely know you," I said, taking my hand from his and resting it in my lap. "Besides, if you are going to do something like that for me, I would at least like to get to know you just that little bit better and do something for you in turn."

"I get your point," Ian said as Paul and Nina appeared that the table and slid into the seats opposite us.

I smiled at them both as Nina raised her eyebrow at Ian and I, hiding myself behind my drink. The hostess returned with an even wider smile than before and took Nina and Paul's drink orders before disappearing again. Paul then turned us with an expectant gaze.

"So, what's going on guys?"