The Battles of Your Youth

Eleven

"So," I started, sitting beside Annie in the canteen. She looked up with a smile, as the Leto brothers were both in detention yet again she was sat with some friends from her year - who all also greeted me with warm smiles.

"So?" She asked, tucking into her fruit bowl, her two friends also glancing up.

"Do you know what Jared's going to Washington for?"

One of her friends - Jayne a known gossip - gasped with a smile "That cute one from the year below?" As she spoke Annie tried to stop her...it didn't work "I heard he's transferring to Emerson Prepartory School to complete highschool, cause fighting was his last strike in this place apparently."

"Thank you," I breathed slowly getting to my feet.

"Lauren, wait..."

I waved my friend off "It's fine Annie, I'm going to talk to him."

"I'm sorry!" She called after me.

And that's when I knew it was true...

*

"Hey Sweetheart!"

"Leave me alone Shan," I snapped, shaking his hand off my shoulder as I continued down the corridors.

"Lauren?" They guy I looked up to as my older brother asked, walking beside me "What it is? Has Chris-"

"It's not Chris!" I snapped once more "It's Jared."

A look of realisation came to his face "He told you?"

"No Jayne Ghosh told me," I whispered, finally slowing to a halt, blinking back tears as Shannon pulled me into a hug "Is he really leaving?"

He rubbed my back comfortingly "I think you need to talk to Jared."

"That's a yes," I mumbled with a sob, clutching his tshirt.

"Shan?" Hearing his voice made me bury my face deeper into Shannon's chest "What's going - Lauren?" He pulled me from his brother's grasp, with one hand on each of my shoulders he held me at arms length, his perfect blue eyes searching my face "What is it? Has Chris-"

I cut him off at the same point I had his elder brother, though this time it was because I shoved him away "It's NOT Chris Jared it's you!"

"What?" He breathed, shock and hurt flashing across his face.

"You Jared...it's you!" I shouted, turning my back on him "Just leave me alone."

And he did, both him and Shannon watched as I stalked away from them.

*

"Lauren honey?" My mom called through my bedroom door, knocking softly "How are you feeling?"

"You can come in," I called back weakly. My excuse for being home early and spending 3 hours crying beneath my bed covers was a migraine.

"Oh, you look so pale honey," Mom said as she sat me on my bed "I'll tell Jared you're too sick."

"J-Jared?" Another stupid tear escaped my eye.

"He's at the door. Sweetie, are you crying?"

"I-It just h-hurts," I replied, wiping my eyes - technically not lying.

"Okay," she replied, gently stroking my hair before getting to her feet "I'll tell Jared you're too sick to see him and I'll go and get you some painkillers."

I sat up slowly "Tell him I can't because it hurts too much."

My mom frowned in confusion but nodded anyway.

Once she left the room, the door clicking behind her, I allowed the tears to flow once more.

I know, major over reaction right? But I didn't care. Not only were Shannon and Annie leaving to go to college soon but now Jared was going.

Leaving me alone.