The Witching Hour

Unknown Sender

My eyes desperately search Luna’s, studying them before moving over the rest of her face, seeking for any sign at all that will confirm that she has finally lost it. But I am left at a dead end. Her face is as serious and honest as ever; the twinkle in her eyes the final confirmation that the words which fall from her black lips are true, as true as the fact that 2+2=4.
Okay, so I ‘m the reincarnate of a witch who obtained the source of all power, over two-thousand years ago, only to be drawn into the dark forces and be executed by her ‘own’ kind. But in what way did she lead back to me? Sure she was an ancestor to the family, but there were plenty of other relations all over the world who lived the Pagan ways, what made me any different from them?
It was all far too much to digest, and although my mind was completely unorganised and frantic to register all the information, I couldn’t stop myself from asking, “Why the hell is it me?”
“I’m not too sure, but I may have an idea.”
I give a weak nod and usher for her to continue.
“Well... the story says that Katarina had a guardian, not just a guardian angel – but one who lived within the earth plane and watched over her up until she went to the dark side. No one knows why. No other witch in our ancestry has been said to have had one. I’m guessing that this is why you might be her.”
The skin on my forehead creases, my memories reversing back to when I was young, there was no one in my life who I had communication with, apart from my family and Thora. And Thora was not one to believe in a super-natural world, let alone be a magical protector to me.
I slowly pull my chair away from the table, my breathing becoming heavy as I remember the demon, Taylor, who confronted me in my room last week and the three men who pinned me to a wall before. “I think demon know about me,” I say in a rush of words. “I have had a few encounters with them, are they trying to take me over too?”
Luna’s face falls and she suddenly appears to look very fragile. “And you – you banished them?” She asks, swallowing a lump in her throat.
“I’m not sure. It’s like something inside me – a monster – looms within me, waiting for the chance to be awoken and unleash its power. That’s when I lose myself and it takes control. It’s like I’m not even there, I’m just an outsider to my own body. Whenever I do come back I don’t retain any memory of doing anything. They were killed, but... well, it wasn’t by me.”
Luna remains frozen in her seat, speechless, before finally saying. “I don’t know what to do. I’m so sorry. I knew that you were her reincarnate, but I wasn’t completely certain on whether you would gain her power. But now that I know you have, I know of no way to help you. It is now in the hands of your guardian, it’s now their duty to protect you.” She rises from her seat in a hurry, trembling as she shoves her belongings into her tote, and departs from the table, leaving a fifty bucks and me with no chance to question her any further as I watch her rush out to the parking lot. Only to turn back at the door and say, “Be sure to look out for any new people in your life, now that you’ve ascended I expect that your guardian will be around a lot more.” And with that, she leaves me, helpless, lost and independent for my own well-being, as she jumps into her car and speeds off onto the streets.

An hour later, I slump through the front door in a confused mess. It was barely one o’clock and I already felt ready to fall into bed and stay forever.
“Hey Kala,” Maggie sings, skipping from the kitchen into the hall. “Don’t forget about your party tonight, I am so, so excited.”
I already felt my hopes for sleep slip away as my face sank even further into misery. “Party?”
“For finally getting your powers? Jeez, you are so oblivious to everything. Anyway, I invited everyone from your grade, I hopes that’s okay, its going to be such a blast!”
My skin grows hot with the intensity of anger which brews inside me. I was in no mood for a party, let alone to have all the people I hate partying in my house! “No it’s not okay!” I growl, my body shaking with fury.
“Huh? Well never mind. I’m not uninviting them, I have been waiting for this party for months. Be sure to wear something cute okay?” She says, placing an index finger to where she bites her lip, as she spins around and bounces off.
In my wardrobe, I find myself empty of anything that Maggie would approve of. Jeans and a tank top were definitely not what she would want to see, especially when the theme was Masquerade. If I wanted her off my back, then I would have to find something out of the ordinary to dress myself in. Besides, the party seemed more for her than it did me. I didn’t want one in the first place, was it really even of importance that I even showed up?
Slinking onto my bed, I cross my legs, open up the internet on my laptop and search for masquerade gowns. Immediately gasping at the first which I click on and actually finding myself wishing to be in it. But I wasn’t the one to spend three-hundred dollars on any type of clothing, let alone a gown which would only be worn once.
Sighing, I close the window and position the mouse over the link below the first. All of a sudden jumping out of my skin as I hear a loud thud behind me, and rapidly turn to inspect the source.
At the foot of my bed, slightly obscured by the drooping duvet which hangs from my bed, lies a large rectangular box, decorated in a fastening of red, velvet ribbon.
I drop to the floor, crawling to the strange object as I pull the out the box and unfasten its ribbon. Slowly lifting the glittering lid, only to see just what I wanted. The dress, folded neatly over a cushioning of red tissue paper, its black netting sparkling under the sun which bursts through the window.
I gasp for breath and drop the contents back into the box. Shuffling away against the wall, I look to my laptop which sounds with the notification of a new email which reads,

Manifesting already? Very Impressive.

My eyes drastically search the screen for the name of the sender, but there is no identification, only the title of UNKNOWN which stands out before me.