The Witching Hour

Betrayal

My breath hastens at the sight of Leo stood before me, dressed in all of his elegant attire, which I can only assume to be from centuries ago.
Bending slightly, he holds out his right hand – the other placed behind his back as a small but cheeky smile pulls at his oh, so enticing lips.
I curtsey, my eyes not once leaving his which glisten with longing, as I take his hand again. I feel the sensation of his cool hand placed onto the small of my back, so passionately and full of care – I know it’s wrong.
But instead of stopping myself from going through with this, I swallow all thought; swallow everything that casts a sliver of doubt to prevent me from pursuing this. I raise both arms around his neck, my fingers roaming his mess of black tousled hair as we begin to rotate in small arcs to the sounds of Bloodstream by Stateless.
Everything about how all the guests watch us with awe makes me sense a slight amount of jealousy, which is rather ironic, seen as they all dislike me with such a passion.
As I am turned with our footings to the dance, I study the sight of everyone; all the girls wear detailed evening gowns; ranging in size below the waist. The boys essentially wear the same clothing as Leo, although the colours and expense vary. But although they all look rather alike, I can’t help but wonder why it is that Leo appears the most presentable.
We separate hands and circle each other, almost as though we now inhabit a world of our own.
Encouraging me to twirl like a ballerina, I stand with my back to him, as he draws me closer by the waist, leisurely turning to the enchanting music, as his lips play at my ear, slowly trailing down to the hollow of my neck.
I swallow, and shake my head as I turn back to face him. Removing his hands from my waist, he allows them to drop to his sides, his expression searching as he stares intensely into my eyes.
“I’m sorry,” I say, directing my gaze anywhere but to his, as I settle to stare at the linoleum. “I shouldn’t have agreed, I should’ve known better.”
“No, don’t apologise. The fault is all mine. I know I shouldn’t have done, but - ”
“But what?” I interrupt eager to know why it was he did what he did, when he knows he is in a relationship with my best friend.
He remains silent for a moment. His forehead creasing as he tries to contemplate an answer. “I don’t know,” he finally says, his eyes now the ones which draw to the floor. And although I know it’s me who’s just at as much fault as Leo and know as well as he of the bond between himself and Thora, I still take advantage of the situation. Slowly approaching him again, each foot demands to be set in front of the other until I am stood right in front of him. I cautiously lift my right hand to his face – no longer the one in control, as the monster that lives inside me awakens and forces me out of the way.
Gradually becoming further withdrawn from myself, I vaguely feel the coldness of Leo’s cheek send a familiar pulse through me as his eyes bolt to mine. His concentrated stare drives through mine as though he some how knows, some how can sense that it isn’t truly me there with him, but something else, something dark.
He focuses all his attention on me, both of his hands rising to my face as the palms of his hands meet my temples. Bit by bit I feel myself come back, as the beast is thrown from its dominance and put to sleep.
Immediately feeling its withdrawal, I have no idea what to do with myself. I hadn’t once yet, been bought back when on the brink of losing to the forceful darkness. But now that I have, I can’t help but wonder if it will rise again being much stronger and determined than before.
“What the hell is going on here?”
I bolt around from where I stand with Leo holding my face to the sight of Thora storming through the mass of people.
My feet stumble into reverse, my hands now raised in defence as I say, “It’s not what it looks like.”
“Oh please,” she spits. “It’s exactly what it looks like. What’d you take me for, a fool?” Thora’s hands shake frantically in fists of fury as she shakes her head and chuckles in disbelief.
“Its not!”
“I should have known really. Ever since his first day here” – she points a shaking finger at Leo in anger, her expression showing as much disgust toward him as me – “when you knocked into each other in the hall. I said I knew that you two had a moment, but you dismissed it and said it was ‘nothing, not a moment at all’ – such bollocks”.
“I meant that.” I say, taking a step toward her.
“You stay right where you are!” She shouts, her raised voice now attracting the attention of those who weren’t previously watching. “As my best friend, I would have thought that your words were to be honest, apparently I was wrong. You just couldn’t help your self could you? You couldn’t stand to see me keep a boyfriend for once! But it wasn’t just that, was it, Kala? It was the fact that I was with someone you wanted as well, you just couldn’t stand to lose out.”
“Thora, listen. It was--”
“How dare you!” she screams, cutting Leo up as he also attempts to settle the matter. “I thought you were actually a descent guy – but then again, I guess I made the same mistake with you that I did with her.” The use of her third person pronoun slams right at me. I’m no longer worthy to be called by my name, but as a mere unacknowledged being. “I can’t stand to look at either of you. I’m out of here.”
She turns on her heel, starting for the exit in a hurry.
“Wait.” I yell, chasing after her. She spins around, her hand immediately meeting my face as I clutch at her arm. She begins for the door again, dismissing me from her disgusted and angered shouts as she approaches the door and shouts, “I hope you two are happy together.” Finally slamming it shut, as she takes with her all the betrayal to last a life and leaves behind a broken down sisterhood.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not too sure on whether or not I like this chapter...
Anyway, let me know what you think of it.
Comments and subscribers appreciated. Thank you to all those who have - you really make my day.