As The Blood Is Drained, It's Bad For Business

A Talk With Jackie

“Rock, paper, scissors.” I draw rock and Matthew draws scissors.

“Dammit!” he curses. I smile smugly.

“Well Mattie, that means you have to get a job. Start searching.” He shakes his head.

“Nope, I’m older, so that means I have say over who loses. And you lose because I said so,” he says stubbornly.

“You’re only five minutes older than me!” I argue. He smiles.

“Alright, I’ll get a job, but it’s only because I’m so selfless and I love you,” he says proudly. I cock my head to the side.

“I love you too Mattie…now get your ass out there and get a job.” We laugh, for the first time in what seems like eternity.


I was ready to leave. I wanted my weapons back, I hadn’t killed anything in three days, Chuckie and Keenan were probably looking for me, and Elizabeth had most likely drunken herself to death. And I needed a shower.

I made up my mind to search the house for my weapons. They were like my babies; I wasn’t leaving without them. I started off in the kitchen, but of course they weren’t there. Oddly enough, neither was the vampire dog, ‘Killer’.

Farther down the hallway, the walls were lined with doors. I put my ear to the first door; no noise. I opened the door. It was a bedroom, most likely Daniel and Jackie’s bedroom. It had a very feminine touch, but most likely did not hold weapons. Going from room to room, it seemed like my weapons were well-hidden. I wouldn’t find them anywhere. At one point I stumbled upon a room that could have been Cayden’s [the only other vampire in the house], but I spotted bright red hair strands on the pillow case. Peculiar, because at this point I knew that no one else lived here. Finally I came upon a room with a silver door. It took more force to open than the rest of them. I got the door to open and found myself in a weaponry room. Apparently they hadn’t spent time hiding my weapons, because they were lying in a pile in plain site on the floor. I went to pick them up.

“Wow, you’re planning on fighting already? I though one of your wrists were immobile, plus the fact that your head hurts too much,” Jackie surprised me, stepping into the room. I turned around.

“Yea, well, it doesn’t. I’m leaving.” I hooked my daggers to my calves and slid my bowie into place.

“Wanna fight?” Jackie asked. I stared at her in disbelief.

“Anyone I fight dies,” I warned. She smirked.

“That’s not what Cayden says,” she taunted.

“Ass,” I cursed under my breath.

“He’s not an ass. Honestly, he’s probably the sweetest vampire you’ll ever meet. Besides Daniel,” she added girlishly. I gagged.

“Oh yea, they’re sweet all right. One of them gave me a head injury and a shattered wrist and then kidnapped me, and the other one almost choked me to death. Real sweet.” Jackie was quiet.

“Daniel…choked you?” she asked unbelievingly. Apparently she didn’t know. I nodded my head.

“Yea, he did. I fucking coughed up blood.” Maybe she would feel bad and let me go.

“I’m sorry…I’ll talk to him about it, I guess. I didn’t know.” She looked like she was genuinely sorry. I waved it off.

“It’s fine, seriously. I’m tough; I can handle it, okay?” I began to try to move past her to escape the weaponry room. She blocked me off.

“I want to fight,” she insisted. I looked at her like she was stupid.

“You’re gonna get yourself killed. If you have a death wish, be my guest, I’ll fuck you up.” She showed no sign of fear. I shrugged. “All right, you’re in for it,” I warned, and whipped out my machete.