Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Ten

(Maddie POV)

As soon as I got home, I tore into the package from the post office. It was a relatively large box; so naturally, I was concerned the boys over-did themselves. Amidst thousands of packing peanuts were several individually wrapped presents. Grinning, I took them all out and started opening them one after another. The first two were shirts—one was red with the old logo of skulls and arrows on the front and tour dates on the back while the other was black with the cover from This Is War. I love wearing t-shirts, so I was thrilled to have some new ones. The tags for the two gifts said it was from all of them. Next, I opened Shannon’s gift to me: a photo album filled with pictures from the tour. A note was pasted to the inside cover.

Wish you were here. Here’s a reminder of what we look like so you don’t forget us! :) Happy Birthday Maddie!

I smiled softly, taking the time to look through all the photos. A vast majority of them were of Jared, puzzling me as to why Shannon did that. I grinned at one particular photo—Jared was turned towards the camera and the light caught him just right so that his eyes seemed to glow. It was a stunning photo. I closed the album and gently set it aside. The next present I grabbed was from Tomo. It was a few presents in one. One of the items was a very expensive looking bottle of red wine. The next item was a bath set. The last item was a box of chocolates, making my smile widen. A card was taped to the lid of the chocolates.

Hey birthday girl! Hope it’s a good one. I also hope you like the presents. I asked my sister for some help, and she suggested the bath set and wine. I remember Jared mentioning your undying love of anything chocolate…Anyways, enjoy yourself! –Tomo

I giggled to myself, having already eaten one of the delicious chocolates. I’ll save the wine for the party later. Amanda and her boyfriend—also one of my besties—were coming over tonight, along with several other friends for drinks and fun. The last present from the guys was obviously from Jared, and it was also the smallest. Curiosity ate at me. What could it possibly be? I peeled off the brightly colored wrapping paper and discovered an ornately carved silver box. Setting it on the counter, I carefully opened the relatively heavy lid and the soft notes of some song came tinkling out. Inside, there was a smaller box with a card on top of it.

I hope you like both of your presents. The song is especially for you. I pictured you when I heard it. The other gift is for luck, even if you don’t need it. Happy Birthday Madison. May all your wishes come true.
-Jared.


Inside the smaller box was a silver necklace with a horseshoe charm on it. I smiled softly, swaying gently to the music box. It was a lovely song. Jared must have put a lot of thought into this, and the thought made me blush. All of it was just too much. I sat down on one of the four stools beside the island in the kitchen, wrapping paper and gifts scattered across its smooth, dark-grey marble surface. Sighing, I reached for my laptop nearby and started it up. I pondered over what to say while waiting for it to finish loading, mostly of how to thank them for such extreme kindness. My life has been turned upside-down. It’s almost as if I’m still dreaming. At last, the webpage was up and I began to type.

From: <Maddiegurl64@blahblahblah.com>
To: <rockstarforMars@yadayada.com>

Wow…where to start? Thank you for all the gifts. I loved the t-shirts.
Shannon: I love the album. The pictures are great, and some really brightened an already sunny day.
Tomo: The chocolates are delicious. I can’t wait to try the bath set and the wine. Tell your sister thank you as well.
Jared: I don’t even know what to say. The music box was beautiful, and the song was indeed perfect. I adore it. As for the necklace, it is wonderful and I’m already wearing it. I can’t thank you enough for the gifts. They’re too much, but oh so perfect at the same time. I’ll be thinking of all of you guys tonight. I’m being thrown a “surprise party” in my own house…hahaha. Really though, thank you so much. Hope to see you all sometime soon.

A VERY happy Maddie.


(Jared POV)

I read and reread Maddie’s email, butterflies tickling my stomach each time. I had spent nearly two weeks nervously awaiting her response to the presents. I don’t know why it was such a big deal to me, but I had such an urge to just give her the world. Shannon rolled his eyes when I had dragged him along, claiming I was “pining away” and needed to relax. I disagree. Somehow, in the lines between thanking Maddie for keeping my brother alive and enjoying the company of a normal person, I became deeply engrossed in our friendship. The thought of it withering away sent a knot to my stomach that would not go away.

I picked up the phone for the third time, wondering what I’d say. Screw it…It was her birthday still for another few hours. I might as well call or else it’ll be too late. I motioned Shannon and Tomo over as I dialed her cell phone. It rang and rang. Just as I thought it would go to voicemail, a breathless female answered the phone.

“ello?”

“Maddie?” I heard loud laughter and shouting in the background. The party…right. Oops.

“Jared! Hi!” I suddenly placed the voice—Amanda. “Maddie’s in the other room with everyone. Hang on.” Before I could respond, the girl took off to who knows where. After drumming my fingers on the desk for a little bit, I heard Maddie and excitement shot through me like a lightning bolt.

“Jared! You called!” Putting her on speaker, Shannon, Tomo, and I began to serenade the birthday girl. Maddie giggled throughout the whole thing, and I began to wonder if she were sober or not. “Aw…You guys are the best! Really…I think this is the best birthday ever.”

“You’re welcome! Glad we could make it special. Take care ok?”

“I will! By the way…before you go, I just wanted to say that I’m really glad I met you…all of you.” My heart thumped in my chest, and all three of us smiled at the phone, wishing we were there. Ideas began forming in my head. Maybe we could be…

“Bye Maddie!”

“Bye guys!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so evil to cut it off there...but I've got my grand plan in motion now! Comments are greatly loved.