Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Eleven

(Maddie POV)

My birthday was one hell of a party, and so was the hangover the next day. I still look back on it and smile though. After all these months, I still remember the butterflies I got hearing Jared’s voice for the first time in months. It was kind of silly of me to be so excited over such a small thing, but I couldn’t help it. Now, standing here under the warm springtime sun, I can’t help but feel sad. I already knew they wouldn’t make it, but that didn’t stop me from wishing the opposite were true. Beside me, Sarah nudged me with her elbow.

“Who are you looking for?” I blinked in confusion. Was I looking for someone?

“No one…I’m just looking around the crowd. I can’t believe it’s so big. There’s only 634 of us graduating. There’s at least three times that in the crowd.” Stage fright was setting in, and I swallowed nervously while fidgeting with my gown.

“Relax…You look fine, you’ll be fine. All your jitters are going to rub off onto me soon.” I laughed softly, my nerves slightly dispelled for the time being. At least the dress I was wearing under the graduation gown was comfortable. The purple dye had finally washed out, so my hair was its natural brown-gold—much to the relief of my parents. Since it had grown out a bit, I curled it into ringlets and pinned it up into a fancy up-do. Looking out, I knew that somewhere in the sea of faces, my parents were watching and cheering me on. If only Jared, Shannon, and Tomo could be here too… With the sun shining through the trees, I could barely see into the crowd. I turned back to Sarah, wishing simultaneously that I was still a little girl and that I was past this ceremony and into my career.

“Aren’t you nervous?” She giggled softly, patting my arm.

“Aren’t we all? Yes Maddie. I’m terrified of facing the world on my own now, but I know that I got all the training I need to succeed. You and I are smart girls. We can do it!” Sarah raised her trademark fist pump, sending me into a fit of laughter. I smothered it quickly, sensing the start of the ceremony.

(Jared POV)

The three of us walked onto the grass in the huge courtyard, searching for seats up close. Not finding any, we took up a spot under a tree near the stage. As soon as we got close, I instantly spotted Maddie with one of her friends. The pair of them were laughing. I tried to wave to her, but she had already turned around. The quintet began to play, opening the ceremony up.

An old man—I’m assuming the Dean—spoke a long-winded speech about perseverance and how the students can do anything as long as they have the willpower. I zoned out, thinking more on the surprise that Maddie will get when she sees us here. At the sudden start of the quintet, the students began to be called to get their degrees. With each name, the crowd would let up a cheer from various sections where families were sitting.

“Madison Samantha Berger” The crowd had nothing on us three men by the tree. I now knew how fans felt when we walked on stage. Joy, excitement, pride. As Madison strutted across the stage, I couldn’t help but notice how gorgeous she looked with her hair pulled up in curls, long legs reaching like a model’s. I swallowed roughly, trying to reel my mind away from dangerous ground. Friend…not toy. Bad Jared.

With several hundred graduates, it was easy to regret not grabbing a chair. After an hour of standing, I contemplated walking off to snag one, but that’d be rude. Leaning on the tree, the three of us waited out the ceremony with quiet chatter. As we reached the Zs, Shannon and I shared a look that said “finally” and smiled. Hopefully we’d be done soon.

The dean got up again and ended the ceremony with the common phrase every graduation must have: “Congratulations graduates. You may now throw your hats.” At this, an infinite number of the pointed projectiles flew into the sky and gowns began to disappear as photo time began. Shannon, Tomo, and I dodged to the far side where we had last seen Maddie disappear to. Shannon spotted her first, elbowing me sharply in the ribs and pointing. I froze. I hadn’t seen her in person in nearly a year. Did she really miss us? How was she going to react? Doubts crept into my mind, and Shannon noticed my hesitation.

“Jare? It’s ok. She won’t bite…I think.” With a grin he turned to start walking. Tomo patted me on the shoulder as he walked by. I followed at a sedate pace. Gown and cap gone, Maddie was even prettier. The white dress suited her complexion, the pale skin looking golden next to the white fabric. Black leaves ran up the side of it, fitting with the season. I felt a smile slide across my face at the thought of finally getting to see her again. Here was the moment…Maddie turned just as I drew even with Tomo and my brother. Shock, joy, and something else filled her expression as her current conversation dropped to a halt.

“Jared? What are you doing here?” I didn’t even have the time to draw a breath before she crashed into me, arms wrapping around my neck in a tight hug. Instinctively, my arms found themselves around her waist, my head against her shoulder. Oranges and cinnamon were her scents for today, and it was a pleasant mix. “I can’t believe you made it...” She pulled out of the hug and turned to give one to Tomo and Shannon. “How did you get here? I thought you were still…”Pausing, she sent a glance to the two older people standing behind her. “Mom, Dad…meet Jared, Shannon, and Tomo.” I smiled brightly and shook both their hands, followed by the other two.

“Nice to meet you. I bet you’re really proud of Maddie. She’s done an amazing job.” The woman and man beamed at me, pride shining like a light out of them. The woman had strawberry blonde hair that was fading into grey while the man was completely bald. Both stood around Maddie’s height, and I could see where she got her nose from instantly. The thought made me smile to myself.

“How did you all meet?” The four of us shared a look before Shannon jumped in.

“At a concert. I was going crazy with the music and got heat stroke. Luckily, little Miss Med here saw and knew what to do. My brother decided to thank her by becoming friends. In the end, we all did, and it’s the greatest friendship ever.” Maddie turned an intriguing shade of scarlet and ducked her head.

“I’m just happy I could help.” Shannon and I nodded in agreement. If it weren’t for her, I may have lost my brother…a terrifying thought. As I stood beside her, the universe seemed to finally right itself from its chaotic spinning that the life of a celebrity causes. For a brief moment, I felt normal again.
♠ ♠ ♠
*happy dance* I love when I get into a groove of writing. It's so nice. Comments are loved!

Maddie's dress: http://www.pyramidcollection.com/itemdy00.asp?ID=51,610&GEN1=Dresses&T1=P87594+XS&dispRow=268&srccode=#top