Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Fifteen

(Jared POV)

Swallowing down a chunk of pineapple, I glanced over at Madison. She was standing outside on the small deck, on the phone with someone. A breeze blew by, tugging her hair and clothes in rippling waves. My eyes slid downward, not able to resist admiring her figure. A thought popped into my head as prickles went up my spine—I hadn’t been with anyone in months. This surprised me for a second, since I knew my reputation according to magazines that I was a womanizer. Shannon looked up at me from watching the news, mouth full of egg.

“You ok?” I nodded, biting into another piece of fruit.

“I’m fine. Just thinking.” Sending me a suspicious look, my brother took a quick bite of pancake before responding.

“About what?” I shook my head. Even I was having trouble figuring out exactly what my thoughts were doing as they tumbled around my skull.

“Lots of stuff.”

“NO FREAKING WAY! Amanda, YOU TAKE IT BACK!” I jerked my head up to Madison, who was yelling into the phone. Curious, I walked over and leaned on the railing.

“Take what back?” The glare I received had me leaning back further as she brushed me off.

“It’s Jared…” There was a pause in which I could hear a muffled female voice, now familiar to me after several meetings. “No, I will not…Why?!...Ugh, fine.” The phone was thrust in my chest as Maddie huffed off into the room. “Here. I can’t deal with her.” I smiled as I held the phone up to my ear.

“Hello Miss Amanda. What in the world did you say to irk her.” Laughter bubbled on the other side of the phone.

“I just told her the truth. She refuses to see it because she’s an idiot.” I blinked, turning around to stare out to the ocean.

“Oh? And what is this truth?” More giggles.

“Wouldn’t you like to know…You’ll see. So, are you taking care of my girl for me? I heard about the other night.” My smile slipped from my face. I still got a lump in my chest whenever I recalled it.

“Yeah…it was pretty bad. We’re all down in the Caribbean for a break. I figured it would cheer her up to get away, but you seem to be determined to ruffle feathers.” Chuckling to myself, I made sure to lighten my tone so the girl would know I was kidding. The sister-like bond between the two women reminded me of my brother and I.

“Ooo…Just keep her safe from sunburn. She’ll burn before she’ll ever tan.”

“Aye aye captain!” I mock-saluted, realizing afterwards that she wouldn’t have seen it, but I still received a laugh from the other line.

“Bye Jared. Say hi to Shannon and Tomo for me! I know Maddie won’t cause she’s grumpy.”

“I will.” Ending the call, I tossed the phone onto the nearest bed and wandered over to where Madison was sitting, an angry glare on her face as she watched some music channel. It must have been either a really old episode or it was going over some older material because an incredibly familiar song came on—Hurricane. The glare dissipated as Maddie sat up and cut up the volume.

“Hey, you’re on tv…again.” The smile was faint, but better than the angry look from earlier. Her foot bounced with the music, and I wasn’t sure if she realized she was humming along with it. As the music video went on, I realized it was the uncensored version and felt a tingle of apprehension for some strange reason.

“Hey…It’s our song!” Shannon stepped out of the bathroom, scrubbing his hair dry with a towel. The part with Natalie and I in the bedroom came up, and I fought the crazy urge to disappear. There was a subtle change in Maddie’s breathing, and six thousand thoughts flew through my head. What is she thinking? Does she hate it? Does she like it? Does she think I’m what everyone says I am? These were only a few of the ones that came up. My stomach sank. As the song ended, Maddie tilted her head at me.

“Nice Greek mythology reference—Sisyphus, the king forced to roll a boulder up a hill for all eternity.” With a small smile, she got up off the bed and began to walk to the door. “I’m ready for some fun. You all ready?”

“Yeah!”

“Let’s go!”

(Maddie POV)

I finished slathering on sunscreen and sat back on the towel I brought. Beside me, Shannon sprawled out with a soda, and Tomo shuffled along the shore, picking up shells here and there. Jared had rushed out to the water’s edge, wading up to his waist in the sparkling water.

“I hope a wave knocks him over…That’d be funny to see.” Looking at the tiny waves rolling in, I doubted Shannon’s wish would come true.

“I don’t think that’s gonna happen.” An idea formed in my head, spreading an evil grin on my face. “But…I think I can get a similar result for you.” As I leaped to my feet and sprinted off, Shannon’s laughter followed behind me.

With his back to me, Jared only turned around to the sound of my feet splashing through water just in time to raise his arms in defense. We collided with enough force to knock Jared backwards and into the water. Skin warmed by the sun made the tepid water feel slightly chilly as we sank below the surface. I broke the surface first, laughter bubbling out. As Jared came up, water pouring down his body, he spluttered for a moment.

“You are so going to regret that. C’mere!” I squealed in mock-fright while trying to run away. Floundering in the water, Jared easily caught me and hauled me into the air, arms tightly holding my waist. The world tilted as he tossed me further out. Unfortunately, as I tried to reorient myself, a wave rolled me over and I skid across the sand under me. Firm hands grasped my wrists, tugging me back toward the air my lungs were now burning for. When the water cleared from my eyes and ears, I blinked at the man in front of me. He had gone a shade paler than before, fear glittering in his eyes. “Oh shit, are you ok?” Playfully, I shoved him backwards and sent a splash into his chest.

“Jerk.” Looking actually hurt, I realized he didn’t know I was kidding and hugged him. “I’m kidding Jare…I’m not mad. It wasn’t that bad.” He laughed nervously, brushing back some of the hair plastered to his forehead.

“Right. Ok…” Sensing some lingering worry, I leaped on him, dunking him under the water. As he came up, I felt myself lifted into the air and spun around before being unceremoniously dropped in the water. From there, a water fight ensued.

Tired of water in my face, I headed back to shore after several long minutes of messing around, Jared trotting behind me. As we reached solid ground, my feet went out from under me and I was tossed over a shoulder like a sack.

“Hey! Put me down!” I flailed with no result. “Shannon, help me!” The man in question laughed heartily and declined.

“No thanks. That’s between you and him.” Set on my towel on my rear, Jared rolled over and plopped down beside me with a huge smile. I shook out my hair, hoping to splatter the two of them. I only succeeded in getting the man beside me.

“Ew…Maddie juice!” I stuck out my tongue at him, wrinkling my nose.

“You love it…” Shannon barked out a loud laugh.

“That sounds kinky.” I probably blushed ten shades of red, failing to catch the startled look on Jared’s face.

(Jared POV)

My comeback died in my throat at my brother’s interpretation, ideas springing up in my head unbidden. I shook my head, trying to erase the sudden image of Maddie that cropped up. Beside me, said woman blushed a deep red and floundered for words. Not coming up with any, she just tossed a flip-flop at him.

“You suck.” With the train of conversation deteriorating, my brother took over as King of Comebacks.

“I think that’s your area of expertise…” The second shoe whizzed by his ear, and I found myself wishing for it to hit him. Heat rose to my own face, something it hadn’t done in quite awhile.

“You’re such a perv…” Maddie stood up abruptly and trotted off down the beach after Tomo. Leaning on my knees, I glared at Shannon.

“Your face is hilarious…I haven’t seen you blush in forever.” I flipped him off, rubbing a hand through my hair. Closing my eyes, I tried not to follow Maddie’s backside as she jogged off. Now was not the time for dirty thoughts. I sank to my elbows in the sand, not caring if I got coated in grit. “Relax dude…I’m kidding.”

“I know. It was just unexpected.” Sensing something more, Shannon cast me a suspicious look.

“Hmm…you are acting very odd. I wonder…”

“Don’t.” Frustration colored my voice, and he picked up on it.

“Ok fine…but I know you haven’t slept with anyone since around her graduation. I think you need to get laid.” I opened my eyes to glare at him. For some reason, the idea just sat like a lump in my stomach, and I didn’t feel like grabbing a one-nighter. “Alright Mr. Moody…” With that, he set down his drink and stalked off in the opposite direction as the other two. Leaning my head back, I let my thoughts go and just enjoyed the warmth of the sun on my skin.

(Maddie POV)

Tomo was so far ahead of me, and my mood was improved enough from the physical exertion of stomping through sand that I just turned around and headed back. I regretted the decision as my eyes fell on the lax pose of Jared. He looked like a marble Adonis, carved muscle glistening in the sun. Warmth pooled in my belly as I slowed my approach. His face was peaceful bliss, mouth parted open ever so slightly. I couldn’t help the thought that slid through my brain. What would kissing him feel like? I shivered once, crouching down silently beside him.

Blue eyes slid open lazily as Jared raised his head, mouth closing in a smile. I returned it with my own blushing grin, hoping he wouldn’t notice the pink tinge on my cheeks. I was out of luck as he raised a hand to run a finger over the bridge of my nose.

“I think you’re getting burnt. Shall we head in?” I shook my head while static ran across my face where he touched it. What is wrong with me? ‘Friend, friend, friend’ my mind hollered.

“I’m ok. I’ll just put more sunscreen on.” Digging said object out of the tote bag, I hurried to slather some on my face. Despite using it as an excuse to hide my embarrassment, I could feel parts of my shoulders and back starting to get too crisp. Twisting my hair over my shoulder, I put my back to Jared and passed back the sunscreen. “Could you get my back?”

“Sure.” Fingers brushing mine as he took the bottle, I tried to regulate my breathing. Cool lotion and large hands softly landed on my back. I smiled softly to myself, enjoying the impromptu massage as Jared kneaded the sunscreen in.

“Mmmm…” My head lolled forward, chin pressing into my clavicle. After a minute of this, I began to wonder if he was just doing it for fun. Surely the sunscreen was rubbed in enough? I got my answer in the form of his hands sliding to my shoulders and kneading the muscle in an exquisite way that pulled another soft moan of delight from me.

“Feel good?” I didn’t have the desire to nod as pure ecstasy boiled through my veins.

“You have no idea…” Sinking back into his hands, I closed my eyes and let my thoughts puddle to nothing. I have no idea how long we sat like that, but Shannon’s voice broke the peace, and Jared’s hands disappeared like a flash of lightning. Muscles completely limp, I slid to the sand in a heap. “Thanks…”

“You’re welcome.” The tone of his voice drew my gaze to his face. He looked mildly confused and disappointed, but I couldn’t say anything as Shannon trotted over to us, Tomo coming from the other side.

“Hey, you two hungry yet? I’m starving.” The sun was almost overhead, so I assumed it was around twelve or one. My stomach gurgled, making me blush. “I think that’s a yes.” Shannon helped me to my feet before grabbing his soda off the sand. Gathering our stuff took hardly any time, and I looked back longingly at the sea while we walked up the stairs to our hotel.
♠ ♠ ♠
Amanda's comment (for those who are curious): "Maybe you two should just screw each other's brains out and be done with it. I mean really...You guys are so obviously lusting after each other".