Status: In college, but I'll update when I can!

Someone Get Me a Doctor, Someone Call the Nurse

Chapter Sixteen

(Jared POV)

Standing with my head against the tile, I let the warm water beat into my back. What the hell came over me? I looked at my hands like they had the answer. It just felt so nice to touch her skin, the scent of coconut sunscreen permeating the air. And the soft moans she let out had me shifting uncomfortably in my skin. Why now? Why of all times when everything was going so well did my testosterone levels shift and demand sex? It’d ruin the perfect ease of Maddie and I’s friendship, and I’ll be damned if I lose that. Frustration built in me, and I smacked my hand into the tile.

With the water running cool, I turned it off and stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around my waist. If I didn’t do something soon, I was going to snap. Looking in the mirror, I ruffled my hair a bit to dry it. No point in combing the brown mess. The breezes outside would just blow it sideways and back again in no time. I shrugged into a white tee and shimmied into a pair of cargo shorts. Today ought to be interesting.

Stepping out the door, I nearly collided with a maid, catching her by the hips to stop her descent to the floor. At the precise moment I did, the door opened and in walked the one person who had been occupying my thoughts. The look on her face went from happy smile to surprise and then faded to blankness. The woman in my arms stepped back nervously, tossing her hair over her shoulder and nervously straightening her skirt.

“Oh…sorry. Didn’t mean to interrupt. I’ll…um…leave you two alone now.” Frozen in place, I watched the door click shut on Maddie’s retreating backside with a sense of utter dread and guilt flooding through me.

“Maddie wait!” Yanking the door open, I watched with a sinking heart as she dashed around the corner. “Damn it…” Grabbing my keys and wallet, I followed after her, not sure of what I’d do when I caught up.

In the lobby, Shannon and Tomo waited by the arched entrance, talking animatedly with each other. Glancing around, I spotted Maddie sitting in a wicker chair and rushed over. She looked up at my approach, face unreadable. Her eyes didn’t reveal anything either, and I felt my heart sink further into my stomach.

“It wasn’t what you think…I ran into her on the way out of my bathroom and knocked her over. I was just helping her up.” Glancing sidelong at me, Maddie sighed gently and uncrossed her arms.

“Jared…It’s ok. It’s none of my business what you choose to do or not do with random women. You’re a celebrity. Women and even some men probably throw themselves at you on the daily basis. I hardly expect a male to resist such offers unless he’s a saint.” The dead blankness of her face left me feeling tight-chested. She’d never been like this before with me.

“But I’m telling you the truth. I really wasn’t doing anything.” Why did I care? What did it matter if I was having sex with the woman? My heart disagreed with what my brain said, flopping painfully in my chest as Maddie erected a wall between us. She stood up and waltzed over to the guys, obviously ending the conversation. Sulkily, I shuffled along behind.

The car ride into town was awkward for me. Everyone else chatted merrily amongst themselves as I stared out the window. Once we got there, everyone piled out and started walking from shop to shop. In the first store we came too, Maddie bought a hemp necklace with a carved spiral of wood. As she tied it on, I caught a flash of silver and felt a wave of warmth creep up my body—she was wearing my necklace I gave to her. The friendly owner beamed at her, holding a quiet conversation with her for several minutes. As we left, she pointed further down the road with a large grin.

“The guy says that if we’re into it, there’s horseback riding further down that way.” Trying desperately to restore Maddie’s trust in me, I voiced an answer first.

“If that’s what you want, then we can go do it.” Shannon jerked around to stare at me, sensing the tension at last. As we walked to the next shop, he lingered behind and walked beside me.

“What happened?” I sighed heavily, not quite understanding my feelings.

“Maddie walked in on me and a maid, but I wasn’t doing anything for once. She won’t believe me and is all huffy.” Frustration colored my voice as we walked. Shannon chuckled and patted my shoulder.

“Relax. She’ll be alright in a little while. Women are weird like that.” Walking into the store, Maddie let out a cry, startling all of us.

“Aw…it’s so cute!” One of the store workers stood in front of her, a bundle of white and brown fur in his arms. At Maddie’s utterance, a crooked grin broke out on his face and he plopped the thing in her arms, earning a dazzling smile from her.

“Ye like the li’l pup?” In response, Maddie wiggled her finger under the tiny dog’s chin, giggling softly when he nibbled on it playfully.

“He’s so precious! I wish I could keep him…” With her smile falling, she passed the dog over to Shannon. He played with it in the same manner, making silly faces at it. Feeling my heart lighten ever so slightly, I cracked a small smile. We spent a good twenty minutes inside the store, playing with various animals. My favorite was a little orange tabby that climbed up my arm and sat curled up on my shoulder while I walked around the store. With every smile out of Maddie, I began to form an idea to make up for earlier. The happier she got, the surer I was of my plan. However, it would have to wait until we got back to the States.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Jared's starting to feel more for Maddie, and the stress is mounting. Hope you all like it. And tell me if you think they're moving too fast.

AN:Maddie isn't mad at Jared, despite what he thinks. She's mildly hurt because she cares for him...and doesn't know it. Sorry I didn't explain it in her POV. I was having too much fun writing in Jared's.